Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I like Friedman's work a lot, and he is very reliable, but I just can't see after LaFontaine's introductory press conference where he, himself, said he wasn't ready to be a GM, that he'd come out a couple months later and say nevermind, I'm the GM. He was hired basically 5 weeks ago and his most important job was to find and hire a new GM... I think that would speak incredibly poorly of him if he decided he was the best candidate this quickly.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
was starting to think that way as well lately, the longer it was dragging on.

Now seeing that he has guys like Pendergast and Devine around him, he has some experienced help

I think he might be able to think he can do a trade or two (Miller/Ott/other) and not be scared but his job, like has been mentioned, was to bring a GM in and he said he wasn't ready. The thing is, the sabres system is by committee anyways, so I don't see why he couldn't bring someone in and still have a ton of say in operations. He would be better off having a buffer just in case something went wrong so he could fire that guy and maybe still stay around, but HOPEFULLY he picks the right guy in the beginning so we can celebrate a cup win instead of being sad about how crappy this whole thing went.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I like Friedman's work a lot, and he is very reliable, but I just can't see after LaFontaine's introductory press conference where he, himself, said he wasn't ready to be a GM, that he'd come out a couple months later and say nevermind, I'm the GM. He was hired basically 5 weeks ago and his most important job was to find and hire a new GM... I think that would speak incredibly poorly of him if he decided he was the best candidate this quickly.

Agreed. I don't like it. We all thought Regier hiring Rolston was bad because he didn't consider other candidates. What if Regier had interviewed every coach imaginable and then named himself coach? That would have been even worse. That's also how I would feel about Lafontaine believing 5 weeks of on-the-job training qualifies him to be GM.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
If he is going to be the GM he needs to take it sooner rather than later. I still think he hires a GM, I just hope it is soon and not after the draft like some of these pundits are suggesting. This deadline and is one of the most important times in our history as an organization

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I didnt read that w/Friedman.......

I think there are issues going on with teams where they arent allowing teams to talk to asst GMs thus potentially delaying hiring of them until the offseason.

I think Lafontaine can handle it for the season.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

But then look how he came President of Hockey Operations. Its not like it was a long thought out process. So if he were to become GM I woukld not be shocked. He never said he didnt want it, just that he wasnt ready. After a few weeks maybe he thinks he can do it.

I dont think it will happen, but I would not be surprised.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
But then look how he came President of Hockey Operations. Its not like it was a long thought out process. So if he were to become GM I woukld not be shocked. He never said he didnt want it, just that he wasnt ready. After a few weeks maybe he thinks he can do it.

I dont think it will happen, but I would not be surprised.

I'd be really disappointed if that ends up being the case. It seems like there are a lot of up-and-coming hockey minds out there ready for their first shot as GM. What has Patty done that demonstrates he can capably do that job?

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I really hope its Benning!

Jim Benning has local ties to the Buffalo Sabres, knows the organization, the city, some of management etc.

And very importantly he has learned from one of the best in Peter Chiarelli!! And has won a stanley cup! You need people like this in your organization!!!!! And clearly Lafontaine is doing the right stuff! Really will like this move if he is indeed the front runner!

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Some reporting that Benning may be our guy. http://beta.thescore.com/nhl/news/389059

Take a look at this guy's draft record when he was our head scout and cry for our future.

Head Scout: 1998-2004

First round picks:
Kalinin, Heisten, Kryukov, Novotny, Ballard, Paille, Vanek, Stafford

In 1999 he had what would be a similar situation to now - 1 1st 3 2nd's

His picks:
Barrett Heisten, Milan Bartovic, Doug Janik, & Mike Zigomanis

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Take a look at this guy's draft record when he was our head scout and cry for our future.

First round picks:

His picks:

Terrifying. We can only hope that Devine's presence changes things.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

First round picks:

His picks:

To be fair, the 1999 draft was awful.

ZeroPT*

Futa is my 1st choice as well. I don't think that using Benning's past draft picks is a compelling argument to make. If he were to be GM, he would allow Devine/whoever is the new head scout to handle the drafts. Also, the scouting is much more in depth than past years and the drafts he was here, the classes themselves pumped out very little in prominent NHL talent. I'd be open to him being our guy, he's been influential with a couple decisions and made a couple good moves including flipping raycroft for Rask, and he's learned from a pretty good mentor in chiarelli, as much as I dislike him, I can't deny the fact that he's a damn good GM. On a side note, I want a ballsy "not taking ****" from others" kind of guy, not a nice,gentle passenger like DR. Futa remains my #1 though.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Gonna plug Treliving again.

Since Tippet/Tallon/he came to Phoenix they've:
  • Added multiple first line caliber players (Whitney, Ribeiro) through UFA despite not having a budget.
  • Developed a plethora of prospects (Hanzal, OEL, Yandle, Boedker), with only one real hiccup in Turris (who wasn't happy about them rebooting his development).
  • Churned out successful role players with factory-like efficiency (Fiddler, Gordon, Torres, Chipchura, Winnik, etc)
  • Mastered value trades (Vermette, Vrbata, Michalek, Roszival)
  • Found excellent to Vezina caliber goaltending off the scrap heap.

The Sabres have done virtually none of these things over the past 5 years of Ruffgier.

ZeroPT*

Gonna plug Treliving again.

Since Tippet/Tallon/he came to Phoenix they've:
  • Added multiple first line caliber players (Whitney, Ribeiro) through UFA despite not having a budget.
  • Developed a plethora of prospects (Hanzal, OEL, Yandle, Boedker), with only one real hiccup in Turris (who wasn't happy about them rebooting his development).
  • Churned out successful role players with factory-like efficiency (Fiddler, Gordon, Torres, Chipchura, Winnik, etc)
  • Mastered value trades (Vermette, Vrbata, Michalek, Roszival)
  • Found excellent to Vezina caliber goaltending off the scrap heap.

The Sabres have done virtually none of these things over the past 5 years of Ruffgier.

I like him too. Does anyone have an article or something of the sort that describes his role there? and his output on the decisions mentioned above.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

First round picks:

His picks:

In 2001 they took Novotny, Roy, Thorburn and Pominville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad