• Spencer Rattler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Read that, though he's played press most, he struggles there, tending to mirror the receiver than take advantage of his size at the line.

I agree he'll be used in coverage, will likely be listed as Corner, but as I mentioned, I think he'll be used as a bit of a hybrid. Will be a corner playing the role of the 3rd safety that was heavily used in coverage last season.
Maybe. I'll admit i lost interest last year because i was over trying to win meaningless games but wasnt that Josh Metellus job last year? And IIRC he did a pretty good job at it and signed an extension before the year started or something?

EDIT: Looks like the extension was only for 2 years. So he could take over that role in a year.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maybe. I'll admit i lost interest last year because i was over trying to win meaningless games but wasnt that Josh Metellus job last year? And IIRC he did a pretty good job at it and signed an extension before the year started or something?

EDIT: Looks like the extension was only for 2 years. So he could take over that role in a year.
Yes it was, but also keep in mind, BFlow likes to keep the offense guessing with that set, mixing which safeties are doing what from time to time. Smith isn't getting any younger, might need Metellus to transition to a heavier safety role himself.

Reactions: Sad People

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Copy pastaing this but

Fewest yards per coverage snap allowed outside the slot, Round 1 CBs since the 2021 draft/this class (via PFF)
T. McDuffie: 0.52
P. Surtain: 0.60
S. Gardner: 0.61
K. Elam: 0.61
D. Banks: 0.61
K. McKinstry: 0.62*
E. Stokes: 0.63
J. Horn: 0.64
K. Jackson: 0.66*
Q. Mitchell: 0.68*

Right of the rip id guess he stays at corner. Seems to be a tall, lengthy, press corner that Floe loves.
Eric Stokes…. Oof. If only he didn’t have injury history.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Yes it was, but also keep in mind, BFlow likes to keep the offense guessing with that set, mixing which safeties are doing what from time to time. Smith isn't getting any younger, might need Metellus to transition to a heavier safety role himself.
Hopefully Cine can start showing up. I really liked him when he was at Georgia and made me go "wow" multiple times when watching their games. He just exploded off the screen.

If we could start getting ANYTHING outta one of the CBs we drafted in the last 2-3 years and Cine the defense isnt THAT bad.

Hopefully Jase McClellan is still around come the 6th round.

Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I guess they'll just sign the fattest guy in Minnesota (or Wisconsin) to plug the middle. Their DT and OG depth is ... bad.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I guess they'll just sign the fattest guy in Minnesota (or Wisconsin) to plug the middle. Their DT and OG depth is ... bad.
DT/ DL isnt that important for the Vikings. Floe has said he doesnt value the position that much if at all in his system. Its still an area of need yeah but not the highest priority.

We could use IOL forsure but im assuming they view Brandel as their LG of the future and we still have Ed Ingram. Do need depth though.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
List of Viking UDFA signings. Guess it shouldnt of beena surprise to see alot of LB and OL.

Gabriel Murphy, EDGE, UCLA
Dallas Gant, LB, Toledo
Dwight McGlothern, CB, Arkansas
Tyler Manoa, DL, Arizona
Bo Richter, LB, Air Force
Trey Knox, TE, South Carolina
Doug Nester, OL, West Virginia
Taki Taimani, NT, Oregon
Matt Cindric, OL, California
Spencer Rolland, OL, North Carolina
Owen Porter, LB, Marshall
Donovan Manual, LB, FIU
Jeshaun Jones, WR, Maryland
Ty James, WR, Mercer
Jeremy Flax, OL, Kentucky
Devron Harper, WR, Mercer
K.J. Cloyd, LB, Miami

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
List of Viking UDFA signings. Guess it shouldnt of beena surprise to see alot of LB and OL.

Dallas Gant, LB, Toledo
Tyler Manoa, DL, Arizona
Taki Taimani, NT, Oregon
Donovan Manual, LB, FIU
Ty James, WR, Mercer
K.J. Cloyd, LB, Miami

Murphy is a bit of a surprise, he might end up being a Ivan Pace Jr. light. McGlothern was also ranked a little high (draftable). So two good names.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
DT/ DL isnt that important for the Vikings. Floe has said he doesnt value the position that much if at all in his system. Its still an area of need yeah but not the highest priority.

We could use IOL forsure but im assuming they view Brandel as their LG of the future and we still have Ed Ingram. Do need depth though.
I feel like that's not at all what I would want to hear from my DC. I want my team to own the line on both sides of the ball.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Dallas Gant, LB, Toledo
Tyler Manoa, DL, Arizona
Taki Taimani, NT, Oregon
Donovan Manual, LB, FIU
Ty James, WR, Mercer
K.J. Cloyd, LB, Miami

for a second there i read, UFDA.

I feel like that's not at all what I would want to hear from my DC. I want my team to own the line on both sides of the ball.
I would hope that a DC(and OC) would work with what he has in order to have the best result.

I don't know if JJ is going to be a good QB in the future, but i think the way to go with him is to sit him behind a starter for at least one year, if not two. If he looks so damn good in practice that we decide to give him a bit game time this year, fine, but don't overwhelm a 21 yo who has plenty to learn, and adjust to.

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Every system is different.

Both things can also be true. Floe and his scheme can own the LOS and not prioritize DT and DL. As Talon said his scheme is very much exotic and all about disguising coverage. One snap Turner could easily rush the passer, the next he might drop back into coverage with Van Ginkel rushing the passer.

Someone described it has the Vikings defense will be like a swarm of bees instead of a club. Which makes a lot of sense.

Not prioritizing DT ≠ not owning the LOS.

Murphy is a bit of a surprise, he might end up being a Ivan Pace Jr. light. McGlothern was also ranked a little high (draftable). So two good names.
I dont have the names or stats ready but i saw that a lot of the CBs graded out pretty well but with limited snaps and or games played.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Every system is different.

Both things can also be true. Floe and his scheme can own the LOS and not prioritize DT and DL. As Talon said his scheme is very much exotic and all about disguising coverage. One snap Turner could easily rush the passer, the next he might drop back into coverage with Van Ginkel rushing the passer.

Someone described it has the Vikings defense will be like a swarm of bees instead of a club. Which makes a lot of sense.

Not prioritizing DT ≠ not owning the LOS.
Feels like that leaves your team susceptible to running up the gut.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
for a second there i read, UFDA.
This mug's a little TOO on point:

Uffda_yall_mug.jpg

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Feels like that leaves your team susceptible to running up the gut.
And thats why we have Tonga, Bullard and Phillips for. To clog up the middle and let Ivan Pace and Blake Cashman do their job. Its a hybrid 3-4 scheme. Even calling it a 3-4 scheme is a bit disingenuous.

EDIT: Could those 3 guys use an upgrade? Absolutely. I also think all 3 of them are FA after this year, So that is a bit concerning. But it just doesnt sound like the most important part of Floes defense.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't know if JJ is going to be a good QB in the future, but i think the way to go with him is to sit him behind a starter for at least one year, if not two. If he looks so damn good in practice that we decide to give him a bit game time this year, fine, but don't overwhelm a 21 yo who has plenty to learn, and adjust to.

I think we'll see him starting at some point this season. Working in his favor is the offensive systems in Michigan and Minnesota have alot of similarities, especially play action. I believe Michigan were near the top in college football at running play action and snapping the ball under center. Those parts of his game should translate pretty well for him, versus other prospects who play alot of shotgun in college who sometimes struggle in those areas when they jump into the NFL.

I fully expect Darnold to start the season, but JJ taking over at some point, maybe after the bye week.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I think we'll see him starting at some point this season. Working in his favor is the offensive systems in Michigan and Minnesota have alot of similarities, especially play action. I believe Michigan were near the top in college football at running play action and snapping the ball under center. Those parts of his game should translate pretty well for him, versus other prospects who play alot of shotgun in college who sometimes struggle in those areas when they jump into the NFL.

I fully expect Darnold to start the season, but JJ taking over at some point, maybe after the bye week.

Decent article right here explaining their plan for JJ. Sounds like he will only start when he hits certain predetermined benchmarks decided by KOC, and only KOC can decide when hes hit them.

Sounds like they have a plan set in place and it sounds like its a plan thats been settled for awhile. Which are good things to hear.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Further evidence that even the so-called "draft experts" dont always know what the hell they are talking about

• Haha
Reactions: 57special

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Further evidence that even the so-called "draft experts" dont always know what the hell they are talking about

That's why they are talking heads and not scouts for actual teams. I'd guess the talking head money is better at least?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
That's why they are talking heads and not scouts for actual teams. I'd guess the talking head money is better at least?
Mel Kiper has been doing it for decades, and he's correct maybe 25% of the time. He makes bank (over $100,000) for 3 days worth of work, throwing shit at a wall.

Plus, there's the added bonus of not having to travel all the GD time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad