new lines:

mathews-taveres-mikheyev
spezza-nylander-marner
hyman-kerfoot-kapanen
aberg-gauthier-engvall

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
100% agree.

Add to that Ceci @ 4.5mm, and we have more pressing cap problems then the big 4.

I have no issues trading our Kerfoot and Johnsson.
Kerfoot has hardly been an issue for the Leafs, he was playing fine until his injury. Plus, he's a solid 3rd line centre, the Leafs don't exactly have many of them laying around and I'm not fond of playing Spezza there either. Ceci probably wasn't going to stick around past this season anyway. The more this season has gone by, the more I've gotten okay with trading Kapanen and or Johnsson. While solid scoring threats and add depth to the team offensively, I feel like they could be used as trade pieces to help balance out the team. Also, they're better scorers than Kerfoot, so they'd likely fetch a better return.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
AJ and Ceci can definitely provide cap relief if / when the need arises. That's like $8m, enough for a serviceable backup and #4rhd.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Engvall - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Micheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Marchement - Spezza - Moore

OR

Micheyev - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kerfoot - Spezza - Kapanen
Marchement - Engvall - Moore

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Holl

Trade Johnsson & Ceci for a Backup and RHD Or Futures

Last edited:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think Timashov and Gauthier stay up when everyone is healthy because of them having to pass through waivers. A Moore-Spezza-Timashov 4th line isn't bad at all.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Don't think Engvall is going anywhere.

He has been very good but I just think it would be too much of a burden to keep him up due to the cap. If they kept him up they would only be able to hold a 20 man roster, they would have to put Timashov and Gauthier on waivers (they aren't great but its depth), and they wouldn't have enough space for a reguar call-up since they would have 647k in cap space. SO every call-up would have to be an emergency call-up (until the injured player goes on LTIR)

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
He has been very good but I just think it would be too much of a burden to keep him up due to the cap. If they kept him up they would only be able to hold a 20 man roster, they would have to put Timashov and Gauthier on waivers (they aren't great but its depth), and they wouldn't have enough space for a reguar call-up since they would have 647k in cap space. SO every call-up would have to be an emergency call-up (until the injured player goes on LTIR)

I think GOAT on waivers, with the renaissance of Spezza on the 4th line, is a done deal. I believe he'll pass thru too. He simply doesn't bring enough to even a 4th line to be of value to anyone. Tima OTOH would get snapped up right away.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kerfoot I'd be hesitant to trade only because he's a C. The other 2, I think you start there. Take away Kaps speed and he doesn;t show a whole lot. They have value though

Adam brooks will be a center on the leafs. He never gets any talk but he is a very high hockey IQ and decent player. I would venture to guess this full season with the Marlies and half of next season before he starts getting really noticed or mentioned as a center option for us. So thats my brooksie plug anyways ;)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
AJ and Ceci can definitely provide cap relief if / when the need arises. That's like $8m, enough for a serviceable backup and #4rhd.

I would prefer Kerfoot traded over Johnsson. Johnsson has a better game than Kerfoot. I don’t like Kerfoot straight up on that so you know i am definitely bias in favour of Johnsson. Besides Johnsson is a good Leaf kid that worked his arse off to get to where he is and was always a great spirit around the teams he came up on. Same goes for Kappy. I like our home grown players. They need some protect in the lineup for our guys so they can play bigger.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Time to replace Petan with Timashov. Of late, Petan has been a giveaway machine without the offence to justify it.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Move Mikheyev up with Matthews and Nylander. Aberg can't cut it there. Put Spezza Kerfoot Kappy back together.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Soup Matthews Nylander
Kerfoot Spezza Kappy

Reactions: saffronleaf

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Time to replace Petan with Timashov. Of late, Petan has been a giveaway machine without the offence to justify it.

Timoshov, Petan and Aberg are all basically the same type of player.

Timoshov has been really poor and is best suited for the Marlies.

Just replace them all with some size and skill.

Korshkov or Marchment when he is up to speed.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Petan's been good in his role, why take him out? Petan only has 2 giveaways all season lol.

Like the other guy said, Petan/Timashov/Aberg all are solid defensively and skilled players so I don't mind switching players in and out but I'd rather keep Petan in.

IMO:
Right now: Petan > Aberg > Timashov
Future: Petan (24 yrs old rn) > Timashov (23 yrs old rn) > Aberg (26 yrs old rn)

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Petan's been good in his role, why take him out? Petan only has 2 giveaways all season lol.

Like the other guy said, Petan/Timashov/Aberg all are solid defensively and skilled players so I don't mind switching players in and out but I'd rather keep Petan in.

IMO:
Right now: Petan > Aberg > Timashov
Future: Petan (24 yrs old rn) > Timashov (23 yrs old rn) > Aberg (26 yrs old rn)
C’mon let’s get real
At least I’ve seen Timashov engage with physical play and has more points than Petan And I’m not even sold on him

Reactions: DarkKnight

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
C’mon let’s get real
At least I’ve seen Timashov engage with physical play and has more points than Petan And I’m not even sold on him

I've replied to the other Petan post in the Kyle Dubas thread, so let's continue the discussion there!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad