New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Astana is smaller than Almaty but still, it's a big city for Kazakhstan standards. With a population of over 600,000 it shouldn't be an issue to fill this arena, but I agree with you guys' arguments about why it doesn't happen and Almaty also deserves a team. I hope this will be on the cards soon, would be nice to see a Kazakh derby in KHL.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Astana is smaller than Almaty but still, it's a big city for Kazakhstan standards. With a population of over 600,000 it shouldn't be an issue to fill this arena, but I agree with you guys' arguments about why it doesn't happen and Almaty also deserves a team. I hope this will be on the cards soon, would be nice to see a Kazakh derby in KHL.
Hold your horses.

I want to see some real development of Kazakh hockey and junior development before adding another Kazakh KHL team.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I doubt it is the alleged lack of interest that is an issue in Astana, didn't they nearly sell out their practice matches prior to the season at the new arena?

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly

A little off topic, but we barely have enough local players for a single KHL team, way to early for a second one. Not that I wouldn't love to see one, it just isn't that feasible. VHL maybe. Almaty is getting a new stadium for the 2017 Winter Universiade.

Even if they average six thousand next season, that's okay too. A slow/steady increase is fine in my opinion. :)

Here's an interesting question... how is transportation infrastructure in terms of getting to the arena? Is it easy to get there? Do many buses go there?

The arena is part of a sports complex with the football stadium, speed skating and cycling arena. It's kind of far away from the rest of the city, definitely not as centrally located as the old stadium. However, they do run extra buses for game nights. The football club gets about 5k attendance for league games and nobody cares about them, Barys is much more popular. Once the team starts regularly playing in the new arena I expect attendance to go up for sure.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Construction of the "Platinum Arena" has started in Krasnoyarsk. It is planned to be finished in 2018 and it's capacity should be 7000.

I really hope that Krasnoyarsk will have it's own KHL team in the future.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Construction of the "Platinum Arena" has started in Krasnoyarsk. It is planned to be finished in 2018 and it's capacity should be 7000.

Is this fantasy? Is this real life? Wonderful news! I really hope so. But, maybe another name would be cooler, as Amur's arena is also named Platinum.

loppa*

A little off topic, but we barely have enough local players for a single KHL team, way to early for a second one. Not that I wouldn't love to see one, it just isn't that feasible. VHL maybe. Almaty is getting a new stadium for the 2017 Winter Universiade.

And how many players does Croatia have that are good for the KHL? The number is a fairly circular number, that's my hint. Hence, a lack of players is not an obstacle.

Do you have a link that confirms this?
Is it even going to be a KHL arena or what?
I would have hoped for a higher seat capacity. But, hey, if this is successful maybe they could build another bigger one in 20ish years. :/

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Do you have a link that confirms this?
Is it even going to be a KHL arena or what?
I would have hoped for a higher seat capacity. But, hey, if this is successful maybe they could build another bigger one in 20ish years. :/

Well, there are many links. I will share the first three I could find,

http://rsport.ru/others/20151029/875326420.html

http://tass.ru/sport/2387878

http://www.tck.tv/news?news_id=3599

As stated in articles, it's for Universiade 2019 which will be held in Krasnoyarsk. This doesn't necessarily mean there will be a team for KHL but makes it much easier to form with now the arena problem is out of question. Just put a team together and that's it, they have place to play. Three years is more than enough to work on this project, let's see if someone will do it. Unless team performs tremendously well, I think 7,000 capacity is just fine, at least for 8-10 years. But anyway, first, give us a team in Krasnoyarsk.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
There will be no KHL team in Krasnoyarsk. Not in the near future. This arena changes nothing.

loppa*

Well, there are many links. I will share the first three I could find,

http://rsport.ru/others/20151029/875326420.html

http://tass.ru/sport/2387878

http://www.tck.tv/news?news_id=3599

As stated in articles, it's for Universiade 2019 which will be held in Krasnoyarsk. This doesn't necessarily mean there will be a team for KHL but makes it much easier to form with now the arena problem is out of question. Just put a team together and that's it, they have place to play. Three years is more than enough to work on this project, let's see if someone will do it. Unless team performs tremendously well, I think 7,000 capacity is just fine, at least for 8-10 years. But anyway, first, give us a team in Krasnoyarsk.

Wow nice. Yeah, and at the very least this is a nice upgrade for their VHL team!

There will be no KHL team in Krasnoyarsk. Not in the near future. This arena changes nothing.

Почему нет? / Why not?
This would by default be one of the bigger arenas in the Eastern half of the league. :) Way better than those eyesores in Vladivostok and that thing up somewhere called Ugra.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Some pictures of the Krasnoyarsk arena model from fb:

12195975_525744070926635_5153888473028884219_n.jpg

12193579_525740820926960_4141665017866505847_n.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Maybe it's too much of a wishful thinking but I will keep believing that this arena is not built solely for Universiade 2019. Russia spent too much money on World Cup 2018 already and yet another arena with a capacity of 7,000 people for an event like Universiade? The arena should be made use of... More than just Universiade. I will write a letter to Uncle Putin and ask him to find someone willing to build and finance a KHL team in Krasnoyarsk in next few years. This city deserves it more than China or Japan.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I googled a little bit and had an impression that they at least have in mind possibility of a KHL team playing in this arena. Btw, Alex Semin will be just 35 in 2019. :)

Arena location seems pretty good to me: it will be built in the southern part of the city near the new bridge over Yenisey, which should make it available not only for people in Krasnoyarsk, but also for nearby towns (Beryozovka, Sosnovoborsk, Zheleznogorsk, Divnogorsk). Wiki says that around the year 2020 Krasnoyarsk agglomeration is expected to have a population of 1,5 millions of people, so that sounds like a pretty good market to me.

loppa*

Glass roof? I think that's not a good idea?

I will keep believing that this arena is not built solely for Universiade 2019.

Well, they have a VHL team already. The team is new, in the league only four or five years... so they will surely use this rink if nobody else would. It won't go to waste like Athens olympic stadium, much of which is crumbling.

loppa*

Sometimes I can't understand if you are serious or not...

Well come on, are any arenas made with glass roofs? I at least have not seen any hockey arena made like that. The reason why is very simple - it's bad for the ice. Sunlight comes in from the sky, and those heat waves have a warming effect on the ice surface, making it more difficult to keep the ice cool. While it might look nice and fancy, and for sure is nice in some contexts, the thing is that in having such a design would increase operating costs and may result in there being a shorter season.

You know those rinks that are open all year round? Not a single one of those has a glass covering... when it's 30-40 c in the summer, that's killer for the ice inside...

This guy :laugh::laugh::laugh: If not Ult I wouldn't even have noticed. Good one.

I'm glad I made your day by getting you to laugh. :)

ult

Sep 21, 2009
I'm glad I made your day by getting you to laugh. :)

Count me too. I'm almost sure you are joking, but on the off chance you're not - this is a scale model with removed roof to show the arena layout. The model is the glass showcase so that people won't touch it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad