New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Construction of the 'Rolling stones' complex in Lipetsk (which includes a hockey arena for 5500 seats) will be continued and should be finished in 2018 (link).

inx675x450.jpg

80593971.jpg

loppa*

^ Looks nice. It's good to see small arenas being built too. VHL needs improvement also, not just KHL. :)

hockeyPole

May 26, 2015
Do you remember 2 years ago there was a rumor that Polish team from Gdansk will join KHL?

I'm wondering if KHL would like the arena. Its seems totally unfriendly for hockey. There was only time when they build a hockey rink in the arena - kids played hockey..

But take a look:
z13407406Q,Hokej-w-Ergo-Arenie.jpg

I doubt if KHL would give them green light without major redeveploments. What do you think?

loppa*

Do you remember 2 years ago there was a rumor that Polish team from Gdansk will join KHL?

I'm wondering if KHL would like the arena. Its seems totally unfriendly for hockey. There was only time when they build a hockey rink in the arena - kids played hockey..

But take a look:
z13407406Q,Hokej-w-Ergo-Arenie.jpg

I doubt if KHL would give them green light without major redeveploments. What do you think?

I would think that a team in Krakow would be better, if a team from Poland were to join. Alas I don't think that it is likely to see a Polish team in the KHL... the political and economic situation can't have the Russians investing in too many teams outside of Russia. They're already throwing a lot of money at some other teams. So if those teams stay I can't see them adding others. Now, if say some teams left, then I could see them replace a team...

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
If a Polish team were to join from Gdansk, arena requirement would be the least important concern. Ergo Arena is big enough but needs seat configuration. In USA, many halls are used both for ice hockey and basketball with seating capacity changing, so doing this is not as complex as building another arena.

Having said that, I don't believe we will see any team from Poland soon. The arena can handle it but... Fans? Players? Hockey-related infrastructure and financing?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Having said that, I don't believe we will see any team from Poland soon. The arena can handle it but... Fans? Players? Hockey-related infrastructure and financing?

Players are not an issue at all as Poland has quite a few KHL caliber players but everything else isn't really there.

loppa*

Players are not an issue at all as Poland has quite a few KHL caliber players but everything else isn't really there.

Hockey presence in Poland is in the south of the country though... so that's why I think that Krakow would be a better choice than Gdansk.

poland20132014.jpg

loppa*

How come that Dynamo is on the screen there? Did they play an exhibition game or something there?

Tauron Arena is hardly ideal either.

It's better than a lot of other arenas. If I were a KHL overlord I'd rather have a team there than in say Zagreb. That would be a good thing too - I mean - imagine the savings on travel costs alone.

Arenas can also be modified. It would not be too hard to make some modifications to lower the rink level by a meter or two, and bring seats closer.

edit/add:
They have some discussion here: http://www.cracovia.krakow.pl/read.php?6,2065084,page=7 , could someone who speaks Polish clue me into what they are saying over the years? They seem to want to join Ebel or the KHL?

hockeyMB89

May 26, 2015
Krakow
How come that Dynamo is on the screen there? Did they play an exhibition game or something there?

This is only video Slovan - Dynamo match, open day.

edit/add:
They have some discussion here: http://www.cracovia.krakow.pl/read.php?6,2065084,page=7 , could someone who speaks Polish clue me into what they are saying over the years? They seem to want to join Ebel or the KHL?

Only talk about Ebel/KHL, like this site.

KHL is a dream, we have big Arena(like Minsk), and great old club Cracovia ;)

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Construction of the Ice Palace with 3000 seats in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy should start already this year. Probably due to geography reasons, it will not be in consideration even for VHL-B, but still it's a great thing for the hockey development in the region.

fokpetr1.jpg

loppa*

Construction of the Ice Palace with 3000 seats in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy should start already this year. Probably due to geography reasons, it will not be in consideration even for VHL-B, but still it's a great thing for the hockey development in the region.

For a junior team it can be really good.

I think I read in the past about a plan to have a junior league like Canada - that is, for there to be three leagues - eastern, central, and western, or something like that. If this is the case, then this is a great development towards that.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Agreement on the funding for the construction of the Sports Palace (with 3000 seat hockey arena) in Kaluga was made, construction should start in 2016, finish in 2018. Imo, those kind of small arenas should be the core of a 3-rd level pro hockey in the future.

52d65d4553135ff6899a.jpg

loppa*

I thought it would be interesting to look at the list of the total number of indoor rinks in Russia...

Nov. 2015: 450
Nov. 2014: 419
June 2014: 386
June 2013: 346
June 2012: 340
June 2011: 316
June 2010: 257
June 2009: 168
Data from 2007 to June 2009: 168 (not updated or something?)

... well damn I can't use the old archive website to get the stats... http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/russia/ is a new link since 2014 - does anyone maybe have the address of the old link?

edit/add post to be eidted, this link works it seems... http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/russia.html - hm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Gazprom will build the Ice Palace for 6500 seats in Tula, construction is expected to be finished in 2017. Capacity probably is not big enough for KHL (although Admiral somehow got away with that), but sounds like a pretty solid VHL-caliber arena.

e7bf61aee350.jpg

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Gazprom will build the Ice Palace for 6500 seats in Tula, construction is expected to be finished in 2017. Capacity probably is not big enough for KHL (although Admiral somehow got away with that), but sounds like a pretty solid VHL-caliber arena.
Well, it still does fit the 5500 minimal requirements, even exceeding it. While ambition is a great thing to have, in real life 6500 would be above the KHL average, and a good attendance number for a starting KHL team in a 500k city.

Not everything needs to be in the KHL though, I agree with you.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Well, it still does fit the 5500 minimal requirements, even exceeding it. While ambition is a great thing to have, in real life 6500 would be above the KHL average, and a good attendance number for a starting KHL team in a 500k city.

Not everything needs to be in the KHL though, I agree with you.

Actually, on paper Tula-Novomoskovsk agglomeration has population around one million, so that sounds like a decent market for a KHL team, but I really doubt that it is happening. Anyway, iirc, Tula hasn't got any proper arena at the moment, so if they get it built, it will be a huge thing already.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I want modern Arena's where seats are close to glass and go more upwards. No need to have as much seats in the NHL, even small 4000 arenas can be build like that. That is what Finnish Liiga would need too. Finnish Liiga has too many small and bad barns currently.

Some, though very few, teams should be rejected from KHL due to not having even close solid TV-equipment. There is no excuse of doing bad tv broadcast, when they're supposed to be a KHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad