Speculation: New Arena/Management Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Probably a better way to divide up the league. I bet the Florida teams love all the travel.

NHL-alignment-map-2017.png

Once you get to 32 teams, you can do four divisions of eight or eight divisions of four. Unfortunately, someone is always gonna be missing out. Either you put Arizona in a central division, or you try to make a northwest division and include Winnipeg, or you try to fit Nashville in a southeast so Tampa and Florida and Carolina are closer, or you can't keep Philly/Pittsburgh together, or you can't keep the NY teams all together minus Buffalo. There's always someone who seems to miss out.

Screw it, expand to 40 teams ride the expansion money through any hard times:

West: Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Vegas, Arizona, Seattle, Salt Lake
Northeast: Montreal, Boston, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, Quebec, GTA, Hartford
Central: Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Colorado, Dallas, Houston, Milwaukee, Kansas City
Atlantic: New York, Long Island, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Atlanta Part XXVIII

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I wonder how much it will increase travel

I wondered this same thing. I'm also a little miffed because they added a natural possible rival to the Yotes in LV just 5 hours north and now they will be in a different division. Hope the Coyotes get something out of this deal.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
I didn't even think about the Time zone aspect of this. Would help significantly in TV viewership especially with folks like me that need to get up at 3am.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
A new home in Houston knowing our luck

That's what Bettman meant when he said that moving the Coyotes to the Central was the best possible solution - if the team's new ownership/arena issue fizzles, it's a quick hop, skip, and jump to Houston with Fertitta and they won't even have to alter the alignment paperwork.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
As long as we were at 31, I wasn’t concerned. The NHL wasn’t going to move us before they got that last expansion payment. Now, who knows. Anything is possible.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I can see the argument (other than geographical) for moving to Quebec City, but what is the argument in favor of moving to Houston? Isn't that an even worse hockey market than Phoenix? It's not significantly more cosmopolitan, and it has less transplants from northern cities. Seems like Houston would have the same issues as Phoenix does with tepid fan support.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Not crazy about the move to the Central.....I think it would have been better to move Colorado to the Pacific, and Edmonton and Calgary to the Central.
Edmonton and Calgary have a history with Winnipeg.

Reactions: Lilhoody

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Not crazy about the move to the Central.....I think it would have been better to move Colorado to the Pacific, and Edmonton and Calgary to the Central.
Edmonton and Calgary have a history with Winnipeg.

I mean it’s easier to move one team than three. I get why they did it.

The only thing that’s concerning is this makes it that much easier to relocate the team to Houston

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I can see the argument (other than geographical) for moving to Quebec City, but what is the argument in favor of moving to Houston? Isn't that an even worse hockey market than Phoenix? It's not significantly more cosmopolitan, and it has less transplants from northern cities. Seems like Houston would have the same issues as Phoenix does with tepid fan support.

Houston has:
  • ...a top of the line arena already in place with no financial or political entanglements with the city;
  • ...an extremely wealthy owner already vetted by another league with interest in joining the club;
  • ...perfect alignment for the Central Division;
  • ...built-in in-state rivalry with Dallas;
  • ...access to nearly 2.3 million people as the fourth-largest city in the U.S. behind NYC, LA, and Chicago (nearly twice the population of Phoenix);
  • ...a stronger hockey history than Arizona has;
  • ...the #7 TV market in the US (and access to Dallas-Fort Worth, which is 5th);
  • ...a clean slate for the League so that they can forget the last decade-plus ever happened.
The case is tremendously overwhelming in favor of Houston over Phoenix. No amount of tony Scottsdale eateries and bars is going to make a better argument. The only thing in the way of a quick relocation is Bettman's pigheadedness and his latter-day distaste for how relocations look in terms of the NHL's overall strength.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I was so excited to move to the central but with all this talk of Huston, I'm now bummed. Quit bursting my happy little bubble!

One of the twitter responses from a texas person to Cohen was interesting: "Dallas was in the Pacific for years, so not feeling too sorry for Arizona." Maybe not so much the tone, but it is true, after all the 21->30 expansion was completed, Dallas was geographically "isolated" for 15 years and survived. This is only for me an annoyance, decreasing the likelihood that the hyenas shut up.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad