Online Series: Netflix: Dark

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just finished it off last night.

That's not how I saw it ending but I'm satisfied.

I must say, kudos to the writers of this show. They managed to go 3 full seasons and tell a very intricate and complex story without going off the rails. All the time/world jumps fit the story.

I don't think this series will appeal to the masses but I'm glad I found it.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Brilliant show. Probably my 3rd favorite show of all time after LOST and The Leftovers. Probably tied with The Leftovers actually for my 2nd fav after Lost. Yeah it's not for everyone but it's depressing how little it is being talked about and how few people have seen this masterpiece.

Loved the final season. The only think I didn't like about Season 3 was:

The only thing I didn't like about Season 3 was the attempted rape of Elizabeth... that girl is supposed to be what 10-11 years old on the show? I don't need to see that shit... they could have accomplished the same end goal without the rapey bits.

Other than that I loved the final season.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Brilliant show. Probably my 3rd favorite show of all time after LOST and The Leftovers. Probably tied with The Leftovers actually for my 2nd fav after Lost. Yeah it's not for everyone but it's depressing how little it is being talked about and how few people have seen this masterpiece.

The only thing I didn't like about Season 3 was the attempted rape of Elizabeth... that girl is supposed to be what 10-11 years old on the show? I don't need to see that shit... they could have accomplished the same end goal without the rapey bits.

The Leftovers is a show I wish I could forget and watch again for the first time to experience it again. Great show and amazing score/music.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal

I did not understand that either. First of all, that entire episode was really violent, compared to the other shows of the series. I'm going off the top of my head here but i think Eva's world Ulrich gets his face bashed in, the entire Elizabeth rape scene in wich Peter dies but Elizabeth also bashes the rapists face in. Katarina's mother destroys her near the lake. I was especially uneasy with the rape scene, i never like seeing those scenes on TV regardless

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
Finished the show last night with my GF.

We both really enjoyed the ride, ending was totally acceptable. The writers really did a good job of not leaving anything un explained.

Reactions: Redux91

tabs

Oct 30, 2009

I didn’t like that spoiler scene either, and skipped it during my rewatch. Loved the rest of the series though. It’s funny because I’d say those are my top three favourite shows as well. Curious if you’ve got any other recommendations? Aside from the standard Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Peaky Blinders, etc. Looking for a new show now haha

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I didn’t like that spoiler scene either, and skipped it during my rewatch. Loved the rest of the series though. It’s funny because I’d say those are my top three favourite shows as well. Curious if you’ve got any other recommendations? Aside from the standard Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Peaky Blinders, etc. Looking for a new show now haha

Not the guy from before, but if you like cerebral/mind-bending kind of stuff, you might try FX’s “Legion”, Amazon’s “Homecoming”, HBO’s “Carnivale” or ABC/Showtime’s classic “Twin Peaks” from the early 90’s + “The Peaks: The Return” from a couple years ago.

Reactions: tabs

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Not the guy from before, but if you like cerebral/mind-bending kind of stuff, you might try FX’s “Legion”, Amazon’s “Homecoming”, HBO’s “Carnivale” or ABC/Showtime’s classic “Twin Peaks” from the early 90’s + “The Peaks: The Return” from a couple years ago.
Appreciate the suggestions! I’ll check them out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm on Season 1, episode 7.

This show is such a mind f***.
Just finished it off last night.

That's not how I saw it ending but I'm satisfied.

I must say, kudos to the writers of this show. They managed to go 3 full seasons and tell a very intricate and complex story without going off the rails. All the time/world jumps fit the story.

I don't think this series will appeal to the masses but I'm glad I found it.

Mate, it has been appealing to the masses, I started watching it because no one would shut up about it at work, from my friends, over hearing people at places while I've been out, etc.

Curiosity caught the better of me.

Reactions: Tuggy

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Didnt like that they just flat out say you cant change anything because it has to happen. It only works when characters unwittingly do what they were supposed to do (like Mikkel going back to be Jonas' father), when a character thinks they are doing something different but that was actually the thing they are supposed to do or when know they what happens but still participate in it happening trying to change it like in Minority Report. Ok, the gun doesnt work only when its pointed at Jonas, what if Jonas stop talking, eating, or moving? Is his body going to do it for him?

Other than that I loved the series, could have done with it in one world but the ending was really nice, basically the entire town of Winden at that table since the rest were all the product of traveler sex

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Finished last night. Became a bit stale and repetitive at the end but all in all a solid conclusion to an excellent journey. Seasons 1+2 had more depth and atmosphere though.

Reactions: Matt19Oilers

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Finished last night. Became a bit stale and repetitive at the end but all in all a solid conclusion to an excellent journey. Seasons 1+2 had more depth and atmosphere though.

I think the show became a bit too much about the mechanics of the time travel, and less about the characters in season 3, which didn't draw me in as much. Strong ending though.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Brilliant season; perfect finale. Really nailed it.
**Contains spoilers**

I completely disagree. Season 3 was a tremendous letdown. The first 3-4 episodes developing the other world were very dull, and offered extremely little outside of setting up the underwhelming conclusion.

The first two seasons were fantastic, but the third got messy. It also lost most of the poignant moments/scenes that made season 1/2 so great.

We end up finding out there's a third world, and that's the only one that's left, and we see all of about 15 minutes of it. Not to mention most of the characters they spent so much time developing no longer exist.

At the very, very least, they should've played a very moving 6-8 minute song and showed every integral character disintegrating. That was a big miss.

I didn't like the entire direction of season 3, but sticking with it, I have a far more compelling ending.

The entire point of the show that they beat us over the head with was all of their destinies were doomed to forever repeat, and that "the end is the beginning, and the beginning is the end".

So here's your ending. Martha and Jonas suddenly appear on that rainy road, and that is what actually CAUSES the accident in the original world, which then leads to everything we've seen. The final scene is the opening minute or two from the first episode, Jonas wakes/sits up startled, Adam narrates "The end is the beginning, and the beginning is the end.", roll credits. That would've been epic.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
First two seasons were fantastic, last one was a bit too much for me. And way too many of those emotional-slomo-montages with emotional background music. Those are great every now and then but get cheesy when there's 1-2 per episode.

Reactions: montreal

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not sure how that would be bittersweet, it would however align with the theme of the show, which season 3 kind of dumped on

Theme of the show was to change things. It also wouldn't have made any logical sense that Marta and Jonas disapparing would have caused the rift to appear. It was well established how it was born.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Theme of the show was to change things. It also wouldn't have made any logical sense that Marta and Jonas disapparing would have caused the rift to appear. It was well established how it was born.

The theme of the show was clearly that things cant change, until a few episodes left in the series that is. Marta and Jonas acting to stop things being the reason things start is an element the show had already done

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The theme of the show was clearly that things cant change, until a few episodes left in the series that is. Marta and Jonas acting to stop things being the reason things start is an element the show had already done

I'll clarify a little. Theme of the show was to break the cycle. It required sacrifice. In order to save others, they had to sacrifice themselves.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I'll clarify a little. Theme of the show was to break the cycle. It required sacrifice. In order to save others, they had to sacrifice themselves.

Oh i liked the ending, how many TV show endings can you say that for? However it would have also fit the show if their final push to stop everything was the cause of everything and in the end they must do what they have always done; wouldn't be bittersweet, just depressing. The ending they did have was bittersweet and probably what I would prefer as it was a great sendoff

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh i liked the ending, how many TV show endings can you say that for? However it would have also fit the show if their final push to stop everything was the cause of everything and in the end they must do what they have always done; wouldn't be bittersweet, just depressing. The ending they did have was bittersweet and probably what I would prefer as it was a great sendoff

Well to me the introduction of a parallel universe already felt like the writers had written themselves into a wall with it being the way out. The introduction of a 3rd world did feel like their way out but it ended up working.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal

I've started watching The Leftovers solely based on your post lol.

I'm almost done Season 1, its much more drama oriented and less mystery oriented than i would of though of.

My GF is really enjoying.

I'm intrigued with a few things but right now i can't say i'm super captivated. After a few episodes i told my GF i didn't mind stopping if she did too, but she told me she was really into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad