Online Series: Netflix: Dark

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just got around to watch season 3, didn't care for it, thought 1 and 2 were just great but just couldn't get into this one as much.

First two seasons were fantastic, last one was a bit too much for me. And way too many of those emotional-slomo-montages with emotional background music. Those are great every now and then but get cheesy when there's 1-2 per episode.

agreed that's how I saw it.

Reactions: EXTRAS

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Is this the German show? I saw the first episode (it was recommended to me) but I never watched any more than that. Is it worth my time?

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Just finished watching Dark after starting it a couple weeks ago. Overall, I thought it was good. It definitely flirted with being great at times during season 1 and 2 but ended up being too repetitive in season 3 to keep me compelled.

For it's complexity, I thought they executed the time-travel concept brilliantly. The scene transitions were done very well, and along with the great casting choices for characters, made it easier to keep track of the timeline. Although, if I wasn't able to binge-watch the entire show and instead had to wait a year between seasons I probably would have been completely lost when getting back into the show :).

I wish they had condensed the show into two seasons though, as by the end of season 2 I was losing interest. I felt they hammered too hard on the predeterminism theme in the story, and seeing the young-version characters continually being lied to/manipulated by the older version of themselves and other characters grew stale for me, and made most of them feel unimportant. Season 3 became formulaic in a lot of ways with the same dialogue repeating "The beginning of the end is the beginning of the end, etc, etc" mantra. It also seemed like you could have set your watch to when the character montage would play near the end of every episode.

But at the finale they were able to give it a nice ending that felt satisfying.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Just finished watching Dark after starting it a couple weeks ago. Overall, I thought it was good. It definitely flirted with being great at times during season 1 and 2 but ended up being too repetitive in season 3 to keep me compelled.

For it's complexity, I thought they executed the time-travel concept brilliantly. The scene transitions were done very well, and along with the great casting choices for characters, made it easier to keep track of the timeline. Although, if I wasn't able to binge-watch the entire show and instead had to wait a year between seasons I probably would have been completely lost when getting back into the show :).

I wish they had condensed the show into two seasons though, as by the end of season 2 I was losing interest. I felt they hammered too hard on the predeterminism theme in the story, and seeing the young-version characters continually being lied to/manipulated by the older version of themselves and other characters grew stale for me, and made most of them feel unimportant. Season 3 became formulaic in a lot of ways with the same dialogue repeating "The beginning of the end is the beginning of the end, etc, etc" mantra. It also seemed like you could have set your watch to when the character montage would play near the end of every episode.

But at the finale they were able to give it a nice ending that felt satisfying.

I am in complete agreement with you, Season 1 is one of the best seasons on TV I've ever seen. Season 2 starts to get redundant and you feel like you're always in some loophole where anything can happen. I have not finished Season 3 because when it's years between seasons, this show requires a complete rewatch.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I just finished this and thought this thread could use a bump because the show was so great. Maybe someone else is convinced to watch it.

Really compelling story from beginning to end. They did a really great job of clear storytelling for how complex it was and how messy it could have got (the casting was phenomenal and really helped with that). At one point in the second season I googled the show and thought I spoiled THE big twist/plot point, only for it to be revealed in the next episode. I think that's one of the things I would say was great about the show: Almost every episode had a moment that felt like it could be THE big reveal for the series, but it never felt forced or over the top in that way. Every big reveal ended up fitting in perfect with the ongoing story, leading to a nicely wrapped up ending.

...And I very strongly disagree with people complaining about the montages. There wasn't "like 1-2 per episode". It wasn't "like you could set your watch to it". You COULD set your watch to it. It was a very clear decision to have 1 montage in every episode with about 5 minutes left. I always looked forward to it and thought was a very nice tool to show how everything was connected in each episode. It was probably the most powerful part of the episode a few times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad