NES/SNES Classic Editions

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Third-party controllers and extension cables exist.
there shouldn't have been any need. Just a terrible design.
I'm no marketing genius, but it seems rather odd to discontinue a product that stores can't keep on their shelves.
They barely shipped any. It was common to hear stories of people lining up and being told they only had 5 in Stock.

Anyways my two cents is that this thing is gone for good. They're focusing on selling the switch and 3ds (which had a bunch of exclusives announced yesterday so it doesn't look like it's going anywhere) and Nintendo seems like a company that really cannot multitask.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
gxYLsAILKwPEwwcvbUcZMnxmeXuMvu-DOtTS0iOOPan13xOGSoQXfU8Jh6FRNf6Ltj_kQ6jjppKtrDwX6v7zS5z9osAtyv3c_pTS0wZoxksJuy4io0pOYPCVBSkSOCryeAfqamOmQgVr-VtcHvMXxgRYuMZxc94MR9OXqyE6ZLRVaZBURkMNF7fjGRp7RWimaz22BTwoPWlO2AU6WqqZowXr4zkHgu0zb25LIMhaeXFjpVFG2UkpFZP2rgaolJThAm7RYggLGsXZcqbu3Zc8JTwpf4EvjWrSvQqBBTxOh3mFWCBcKzjiG3Cy5c-6cDQ5-2jWo2VZRVqWJ8c0GZiltpOMUw4yTX9IKEjGZTJ_mJjXNA8-_FnH63-aHlIxnZHfzZGDiAKH3JxO-U8keu4ovHNvprblC3Y3Wac_FME5SKujs8FoBhWKL3yeJiOrmN5L6AMI41mlHWqtinXr7jh8xLxc4D9lZZ4CR2YYfjV5aMy4-Mrc3xC2QeGxUtwqR_u2cictyG5AzPs3dpXjbcH5RfHHgDCLTIgZURMFhcBQJjuFOxZ8ZACDIG-TPQl_LWQvyIwccJzFciqSWmxJdXD7R2RbOVKC0PZ8gX5dH7f2qIwADQAYENip=w1280-h721-no

Originally gave it to my nephew, but he's too young to have truly enjoyed it. So I "borrowed" it back last weekend.

I saw awhile back that people were able to upload more games into it. Did anybody try that out? I'm always worried that I'd accidentally trash the system somehow.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I feel bad so many people that missed out, when I've barely touched mine since Christmas. I was stoked to acquire one, but after that initial excitement wore off, I realized it's just an emulator in Nintendo branded plastic. Not much different than the emulators I've been using for the past 20 years.

Embarrassing for Nintendo nonetheless.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
there shouldn't have been any need. Just a terrible design.

They barely shipped any. It was common to hear stories of people lining up and being told they only had 5 in Stock.

Anyways my two cents is that this thing is gone for good. They're focusing on selling the switch and 3ds (which had a bunch of exclusives announced yesterday so it doesn't look like it's going anywhere) and Nintendo seems like a company that really cannot multitask.

But it's also April, the Switch is out*, and the post-Christmas want is over for some, and others went "fudge it, I'm building a Pi"

*I live out in the relative boonies of the US and haven't seen a Switch in stock, but I know of at least one person here that has one, and another that owns a NES classic. All bought locally.

And I could've pre-ordered a Switch, but there's like no games for that system, and I can play BOtW on my Wii U so...

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm no marketing genius, but it seems rather odd to discontinue a product that stores can't keep on their shelves.

Feels like something they're going to make different "versions" for.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another NES clone with 20 different games released in 6 months, or perhaps a SNES clone system in the future.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I know to a lot of people this isn't anything special. And of course you can very easily emulate all this stuff yourself. Hell, I have done plenty of old school gaming with emulators and roms throughout the years. Regardless of all that, I've been wanting to get my hands on one since launch day. This news really pisses me off! I've been checking stores and online stock off and on since launch and still haven't found one. I refuse to pay the stupid ebay prices for this. And now that good old Nintendo is discontinuing it you can bet that price is going to skyrocket.

Not much I can do about it I guess. Just hate Nintendo for their idiocy with this whole NES fiasco.

Anyone wanna sell me an NES classic? :)

void

Jan 5, 2006
So how much are these things going to sell for on ebay in 5 years?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I know to a lot of people this isn't anything special. And of course you can very easily emulate all this stuff yourself. Hell, I have done plenty of old school gaming with emulators and roms throughout the years. Regardless of all that, I've been wanting to get my hands on one since launch day. This news really pisses me off! I've been checking stores and online stock off and on since launch and still haven't found one. I refuse to pay the stupid ebay prices for this. And now that good old Nintendo is discontinuing it you can bet that price is going to skyrocket.

Not much I can do about it I guess. Just hate Nintendo for their idiocy with this whole NES fiasco.

Anyone wanna sell me an NES classic? :)

I don't think it's idiocy. It's marketing. It got the gaming world buzzing about Nintendo, about childhood nostalgia, about those good feelings...and then the Nintendo Switch, with childhood favorite Zelda, was released. Mission accomplished. Scarcity sells.
I want one too. lol.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
I have one unopened I won from local game store few months have a feeling it will be worth something in a few years

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Said it before, and I'll say it again - don't care.

Seriously I already have all the old NES games (and many other classics) I could ever want on the Virtual Console. The Virtual Console has been part of every Nintendo system since the Wii and will be part of every one going forward.

The NES Classic always struck me as a redundant piece of plastic, who's only value was as an aesthetic object for people nostalgic for that particular form factor. But as for its actual function, it was a redundant and unnecessary product.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Said it before, and I'll say it again - don't care.

Seriously I already have all the old NES games (and many other classics) I could ever want on the Virtual Console. The Virtual Console has been part of every Nintendo system since the Wii and will be part of every one going forward.

The NES Classic always struck me as a redundant piece of plastic, who's only value was as an aesthetic object for people nostalgic for that particular form factor. But as for its actual function, it was a redundant and unnecessary product.

The virtual console concept is fine, it's just emulation.

The price that Nintendo charges for nearly 30 year old ROMs and no cross buy is the dealbreaker. When Nintendo can sell the Classic NES for $60 (less than $2/ROM vs $5 on the VC proves that Nintendo can still make money on them).

I just think it's silly to keep buying the same games, over and over, because Nintendo and its fans are stuck in an abusive relationship. Between smartphones and PCs, and Pis, the emulation just isn't hard to do. Or you could also buy a used system and games for that authentic feel. (but a Pi is vastly superior, especially on HD TVs).

But I think the timing of the Switch and people figuring out how to side load ROMs scared them away.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Discontinued, only to make it's return with 60 games for the next holidays with more than enough supply for all and huge cash grab. Nintendo knows what it's doing....

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Discontinued, only to make it's return with 60 games for the next holidays with more than enough supply for all and huge cash grab. Nintendo knows what it's doing....

of course its the plan. no point watering down the market then introduce a larger game library and people will go eh because they have one

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
The virtual console concept is fine, it's just emulation.

The price that Nintendo charges for nearly 30 year old ROMs and no cross buy is the dealbreaker. When Nintendo can sell the Classic NES for $60 (less than $2/ROM vs $5 on the VC proves that Nintendo can still make money on them).

I just think it's silly to keep buying the same games, over and over, because Nintendo and its fans are stuck in an abusive relationship. Between smartphones and PCs, and Pis, the emulation just isn't hard to do. Or you could also buy a used system and games for that authentic feel. (but a Pi is vastly superior, especially on HD TVs).

But I think the timing of the Switch and people figuring out how to side load ROMs scared them away.

This makes no sense, because the market for the Switch isn't the same as the market for the NES Classic.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
This makes no sense, because the market for the Switch isn't the same as the market for the NES Classic.

My thought was more marketing dollars and shelf space. Carrying 3 consoles, related accessories, and Amiibos takes up a decent chunk of room. Nintendo just has a terrible time matching demand/striking when the iron is hot, even the new 3DS was OOS everywhere around Christmas, and depending on how similar the mini NES hardware is to the 3DS (both ARM based), it frees up components dropping the former.

And if/when the Switch adds its VC, having the mini NES around makes those $5 digital ROMs less attractive.

Otherwise, I agree they're targeting mostly different subsets of Nintendo gamers, the mini NES is more geared more towards the retro set (but I still contend a Pi is a just better all around option).

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year

The least surprising headline of 2017. Presumably book ended by the second least surprising headline of 2017 about SNES mini supply shortages.

I figured we'd either see an upgraded NES or an SNES. I doubt it'll happen, but they should add Virtual Console support to the system and release additional games to buy after it's released. The SNES has such a good library of games, think they would stick with 30 games again?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't even understand how the NES mini could be considered a success. They barely shipped any.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Until Nintendo figures their **** out I'm not even considering a SNES Mini, and I should be giddy with joy over it since that was the first 'real' console of my own.

Then again they've already nickle and dimed me with roms so much in the past that I'm just done with it. I'm not paying for Super Mario World for a fifth time.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The Mini NES should have been designed with an SD style card slot, that you'd load under the flap. Replicating the NES experience.
Then every holiday season you can release new carts of games. And no need for VC support (which adds cost), as they're providing new games periodically through physical media.
Also since the hardware isn't tied to the roms, means that if a license owner decides to screw with you it's easier to just drop their games from the carts.

Also controller cable definitely should have been longer.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
My thought was more marketing dollars and shelf space. Carrying 3 consoles, related accessories, and Amiibos takes up a decent chunk of room. Nintendo just has a terrible time matching demand/striking when the iron is hot, even the new 3DS was OOS everywhere around Christmas, and depending on how similar the mini NES hardware is to the 3DS (both ARM based), it frees up components dropping the former.

And if/when the Switch adds its VC, having the mini NES around makes those $5 digital ROMs less attractive.

Otherwise, I agree they're targeting mostly different subsets of Nintendo gamers, the mini NES is more geared more towards the retro set (but I still contend a Pi is a just better all around option).

It's not just carrying 3 consoles, Nintendo is carrying 3 products with different timeframes in mind. The 3DS is only going to stay in production until 2018 or maybe 2019 at the latest (or until the Switch gets enough momentum from both a sales and development standpoint, which it seems to trend towards given that it's selling + it's getting at least one big title per month until July/August). That's why they didn't produce more during the Christmas season, and even if they did, it's still going to take time, so they bit the bullet on the Christmas season. It's hard to blame Nintendo for the 3DS given their intentions to wind the console down. However, Nintendo judging the NES Classic as a Christmas product is inexcusable given the clear demand and the low production of the console. I can understand why Nintendo discontinued it, but they are shooting themselves in the foot for not extending the production beyond simply being a "Christmas gift" product.

Also, I don't see what being similar in hardware has to do with anything. That disregards the clear technological differences of the devices and the demographics they're trying to target. That being said, thats why I don't buy the "NES Mini makes VC less attractive" argument. That's one thing to note, the NES Mini isn't just resonating with Nintendo gamers, it's also resonating with people who used to game before and never really caught onto future consoles like the Nintendo gamers did. It's a nostalgic product that resonates with both the hardcore and casual users. If the NES Mini is targeting the retro/nostalgic people, and the Switch is targeting people that want a new gen console, then why does it matter or rather, why do people assume that it automatically makes the Switch VC irrelevant? Those same NES mini customers aren't likely to own a Switch so they don't overlap to the point of concern. Not to mention, there are different licensing deals in place for VC vs. NES Mini.

The Mini NES should have been designed with an SD style card slot, that you'd load under the flap. Replicating the NES experience.
Then every holiday season you can release new carts of games. And no need for VC support (which adds cost), as they're providing new games periodically through physical media.
Also since the hardware isn't tied to the roms, means that if a license owner decides to screw with you it's easier to just drop their games from the carts.

Also controller cable definitely should have been longer.

SD card slot was never going to happen given how easy it is to use it as an entry point towards accessing the firmware and kernel. And wait, how does VC adds cost, and using physical media doesn't? You'd have licensing and manufacturing to add vs. just licensing for VC support.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad