NES/SNES Classic Editions

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My thought was more marketing dollars and shelf space. Carrying 3 consoles, related accessories, and Amiibos takes up a decent chunk of room. Nintendo just has a terrible time matching demand/striking when the iron is hot, even the new 3DS was OOS everywhere around Christmas, and depending on how similar the mini NES hardware is to the 3DS (both ARM based), it frees up components dropping the former.

And if/when the Switch adds its VC, having the mini NES around makes those $5 digital ROMs less attractive.

Otherwise, I agree they're targeting mostly different subsets of Nintendo gamers, the mini NES is more geared more towards the retro set (but I still contend a Pi is a just better all around option).

Except for that whole sticky issue of downloading ROMs to run on such a device being illegal.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nintendo's probably got my money for an SNES mini depending on the list of games.

I want at least;

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Mario All Stars

I'd imagine it would probably be the closet you can gets to a greatest hits compilation, but with Nintendo who knows.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Any reservations I had pirating old school Nintendo games has basically died with this news. I'll be glad to do it now. Screw Nintendo. As a, used-to-be, die hard Nintendo fan I'll never buy another one of their products again.

I hear a mini-switch is already slated for release.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I hear a mini-switch is already slated for release.

Well Playstation had the Playstation 4. Then the PS4 Slim. The the PS4 Pro. Then the PS4 Slim 1TB.

It's not like the mini-Switch would be that unheard of.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Nintendo's probably got my money for an SNES mini depending on the list of games.

I want at least;

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Mario All Stars

I'd imagine it would probably be the closet you can gets to a greatest hits compilation, but with Nintendo who knows.

I would also hope for Super Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country to along with the Nintendo branded games. Having a game like Chrono Trigger would be amazing and Street Fighter II would also be sweet. Burned a lot of hours on those two games as a kid.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I would also hope for Super Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country to along with the Nintendo branded games. Having a game like Chrono Trigger would be amazing and Street Fighter II would also be sweet. Burned a lot of hours on those two games as a kid.

Donkey Kong Country 2 is probably my favorite. Not sure if they would include any of the sequels, since there are just so many choices.

Some others (some of course depending on 3rd party and licenses):

Earthbound
Harvest Moon
Kirby Superstar or Dreamland 3
Star Fox
Super Mario RPG
Turtles in Time
NHL 94 (doubtful unless they remove player names)
Whatever Squaresoft RPG (many to choose from)

Would love to see the SNES Wars game or one of the SNES Fire Emblem games included, but unlikely.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Speaking of sticky issues, how about just playing them directly in a web browser?

Probably also illegal unless it's something provided officially by Nintendo, but that seems incredibly unlikely. But that's not really relevant to this thread and I don't want to hijack things.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
My co-worker has the NES Mini and we hacked it a bit so it has 80 games on it. Something about being able to easily start it up and have it be it's own thing plus the controllers makes it a different experience than just playing ROMs. I didn't plan on buying the NES but I will for sure be on the lookout for the SNES when it drops.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I was able to get an NES Classic at Target this weekend.

Does anybody have a 3rd party controller recommendation, since it looks like the 1st party ones won't be available without paying a ridiculous markup?

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I was able to get an NES Classic at Target this weekend.

Does anybody have a 3rd party controller recommendation, since it looks like the 1st party ones won't be available without paying a ridiculous markup?

My coworker went through this exact trouble. He was checking for weeks to find one. I brought in my Wii Classic Controller to use. Had no issues with it. Purists might though.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
My coworker went through this exact trouble. He was checking for weeks to find one. I brought in my Wii Classic Controller to use. Had no issues with it. Purists might though.

Shouldn't! That's a sweet controller. Nintendo did so many things right with the Wii, and that was one of them.

Anyone have any impressions of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe yet? I'm not sold on the system yet, probably not until the new Mario game, but Kart looks amazing.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Shouldn't! That's a sweet controller. Nintendo did so many things right with the Wii, and that was one of them.

Anyone have any impressions of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe yet? I'm not sold on the system yet, probably not until the new Mario game, but Kart looks amazing.

Didn't play Deluxe but have the Wii U version with all the DLC.

It's the best Mario Kart game to date IMO.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I've had mine for two months now. Its been fun to replay OG Metroid and Zelda, but I replayed OG FF and man what a grindy pile of garbage, I'm amazed I had fun with that when it came out. The lighter titles like the SMB's and Megaman were fun too, but these games were pretty brutal as far as difficulty goes. Looking for that second controller still for MSRP but no luck yet.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
SNES Classic announced! And holy ****, it has the never-before-released Star Fox 2 on it!

(And for the love of all that is holy, please don't undersupply this like with the NES Classic!)

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Is there a full list of titles anywhere?

Per Kotaku:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-Zero
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Isalnd
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Awesome. No Chrono Trigger makes me sad, but the rest of the lineup is solid.

And yes, please let there be more in supply than the NES. I really hope they learned from the flaws in the NES too and decided to extend the cables or make the controllers wireless.

I was hesitant about the NES, but the titles in the mini SNES make this a system I will probably go out of my way to get.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I'm not wasting my time looking everywhere for this one. If i happen to see it in-store I'll buy it. I'm still angry about the NES classic fiasco.

Good games list though. Not that it really matters. It'll be hacked quickly.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Wish they put 30 games on it like the NES. Star Fox 2 tho. For "new" games, I was thinking along the lines of them putting one of the SNES Fire Emblem games on it, Star Fox 2 didn't even cross my mind.

I only physically own Super Mario World, Mario Kart and DKC on my SNES though I've rented, borrowed, and downloaded many of the others.

Also, good on Nintendo for putting two controllers in the box this time. Considering the extra NES controllers ended up being harder to find than the system which was difficult itself.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad