MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Yeah 80 bucks for what's basically a Rapsberry Pi with NES skin and 30 roms is expensive

There is a refreshed Genesis with built in games as well, but it does have a cartridge slot

I also got Sonic's ultimate Genesis collection for the PS3 for 10 bucks

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
The main advantage this may have over an emulator is that it may feel more natural like the original NES. Otherwise, it's easier to just buy a FireTV and side load the roms/emulators.

Clock

May 13, 2006
This is going to be the perfect little Christmas gift for a lot of people. I'm stoked to get mine. Wish there were a few more games, but there's something to be said about focus.

Glad to see Sega is doing the same thing.

I'm already excited for the SNES version.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Are people really going to buy this?It could be interesting if this thing was expandable but it isn't.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Unfortunately for Canadians, it's $79.99 CDN.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/old-school-cool-nintendo-to-release-mini-version-of-classic-nes-console-1.2986709

Good luck convincing anyone to spend $80 on this thing.

$79.99 is basically the price of one new game today. This surely is better value not only in terms of $/hour of play but even as a display piece alone.

$80 also seems like a very reasonable price point for an x-mas gift for a family member or a close friend.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
To the ones saying you can easily make your own Raspberry Pi system instead of getting this... Guess what? You're not the kinda person that will be buying this thing. This will be marketed at the ones who dont know anything about building a computers or playing on emulators. They're the ones that will be buying this thing and make no mistake about it, they will sells tons of them.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It may not really be for me, personally--I'd rather build my own--but it really is the perfect gift. You likely wouldn't give a custom-built one as a gift, but you would give this. There are many people who are either not savvy enough to build or use a custom one or aren't interested unless everything is official and unequivocally legal.

My brother is such a person. We grew up playing the NES, but he's never shown any interest in using ROMs and my hunch is that he's not really comfortable with the whole idea, for whatever reason. I'm sure that many of us have those types of siblings. We hang out in the Geek Emporium because, generally, we're the savvy do-it-yourselfers of our families and most of the people close to us aren't as into that sort of thing as us.

Then, there are all of the people out there who might like to introduce their kids, nephews and nieces to the games that they grew up with. Even if you don't have an issue with ROMs, you might want to set a good example for the kids (or respect the parents' sensibilities) by giving them an official product. It's also perfect as an entry-level product. Throw too many games (ex. 60, 100, 200, more) at kids and they may not realize or discover the good ones, and might lose interest because many aren't that good. With only 30 games, though, all of which are A quality and representative of the best that the console had to offer, kids will thoroughly try (and, hopefully, enjoy) all 30. That may be more than enough for most kids, but, if some happen to fall in love with the games and you sense that they'd be interested in more, you might then introduce them to the larger world of emulators.

In fact, now that I think about it, this is the perfect gift for my brother and nephew (technically, I'll give it to my nephew, but my brother will end up using it, too) and, in a few years, my brother-in-law and my other nephew. In other words, I may not buy one of these for myself (at least not at this price), but I may very well buy two to give as gifts. I think that that speaks to the market for this.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
To the ones saying you can easily make your own Raspberry Pi system instead of getting this... Guess what? You're not the kinda person that will be buying this thing. This will be marketed at the ones who dont know anything about building a computers or playing on emulators. They're the ones that will be buying this thing and make no mistake about it, they will sells tons of them.

Nailed it.

...and I had to look up what Raspberry Pi is. I've heard of it, but I just assumed it was a version of the Android OS and not an actual piece of hardware. Suffice to say I'm not the type of person who has any interest in that, but an officially licensed product that I can easily hook up to my TV? That's the perfect stocking stuffer in my book.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
My feelings too, I know exactly what a raspberry pi is and I still have no interesting in doing that

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

I'd probably still buy both.

It's not like the Ras Pi can't do lots of other things as well, hell, it can even run Windows IoT...Kodi, Linux, etc. In theory, much like an Arduino, they can be programmed to control robots, pH sensor, heat, temperature, cameras too...but I'm thinking more people use them as small computers for home use. In that case, you basically just download a specific OS distro onto an SD card, and load it, plug in your devices.

And the Pi 3's have built in wifi, bluetooth, HDMI, and USB ports too.

~$100 for a Pi, AC adapter, case, and 128 GB micro SD, extra for a controller, external HD, etc.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
If you're spending $100 for a pi, you might as well just buy a pre built android box which have app those things ready to go

You can get one for cheaper from alibaba or even amazon

Last edited:

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
all fun and games until you start playing Ghosts n Goblins and realize that you'll never beat that ****ing game

that game would send today's kids into the fetal position

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
If you're spending $100 for a pi, you might as well just buy a pre built android box which have app those things ready to go

You can get one for cheaper from alibaba or even amazon

But you're not spending $100 on a pi, nearly a third to half that $100 is on an SD card, ~$20 for 64 GB or double for $128...if you get one of those cheap Android boxes, you're going to have get an SD card or add a USB drive anyhow...so then it comes down to what's easier to setup something like Android, with it primarily phone focused apps, or the Pi, that has various Linux distros for different needs, a la retropie for emulators, where you load the OS, ROMS, and then plug in a 360 or PS3 controller. Configure controller, play games.

Looking at it another way, $100 is about what you'll pay for nearly every other streaming box, Roku, Apple, Amazon, it just depends on the channels, features desired. With my Roku, I just plug in an old USB drive and play movies locally, and mostly Netflix and YT, but it's not built to do emulators whatsoever.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
all fun and games until you start playing Ghosts n Goblins and realize that you'll never beat that ****ing game

that game would send today's kids into the fetal position

:laugh:

Ninja Gaiden Stage 6-2 will also induce some rage moments for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->