News Article: Negotiations with Kristo have started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I think Versteeg is a good comparison, both really shifty guys with good offensive skills but also both solid defensively.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If he can become a fast version of Ryder or even poor man's Kessel, we'd be in a great position in terms of offensive depth going forward. I can't see him not making the NHL...I think he's at worst a D'Agostini type.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I've always liked the Kristo to Versteeg comparison.

He's not on the same level as Kessel or even close, sorry. But he's also more complete.

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net

He's not on the same level as Kessel or even close, sorry. But he's also more complete.

I've watched 2 ND games this year, his physical game is far from NHL ready IMHO, his hands and top speed puck manoeuvrability are beyond spectacular but the speed game at the NHL level vs NCAA are 2 different things, since I have never seen him VS NHL level talent I can't speek on that front. He reminds me a lot of Michael Ryder. The word 'quick wristshot' usually comes up a lot in Youtube videos.

Truly a player I can't wait to see in a Pro Jersey, a very interesting talent

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
You clearly haven't seen my Sid the Kid collage then!

crosby_collage.jpg

this post needs some more love

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

the kristo/versteeg comparison was mine. I trademarked that ****.

Although I was then told it wasn't entirely accurate. :dunno:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
the kristo/versteeg comparison was mine. I trademarked that ****.

Although I was then told it wasn't entirely accurate. :dunno:

No idea how trademarked that **** but it clicked for me instantly.

Would like to hear why it isn't entirely accurate. Of course it's possible at Kristo's age he could bulk up to be able surpass some of Versteeg's inconsistencies but their games look pretty similar to me, great skating and those fast, soft hands without the high end creativity to back it up. Kristo might be a bit more of a scorer though, Versteeg's best years have come as a playmaker type.

DanltQC

Mar 23, 2013
Gatineau
Will Kristo get his chance with the Habs this year or do you guys think we will have to wait till training camp next summer?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I've watched 2 ND games this year, his physical game is far from NHL ready IMHO, his hands and top speed puck manoeuvrability are beyond spectacular but the speed game at the NHL level vs NCAA are 2 different things, since I have never seen him VS NHL level talent I can't speek on that front. He reminds me a lot of Michael Ryder. The word 'quick wristshot' usually comes up a lot in Youtube videos.

Truly a player I can't wait to see in a Pro Jersey, a very interesting talent

You cannot teach scoring aggression, and that is what he has. The rest can be taught. I really like this kid.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
His talent level is NHL caliber; this includes his skating ability. Physical and mental maturity are probably not NHL level yet, though.

NHL is becoming a 20-25 year olds game. Teams are learning to deal with youth.

I do worry about Kristo coming from North Dakota for god's sake and then meeting the Montreal girls. He'd better be watched.

Habsterix*

I don't like any of the comparisons with established NHL players. Christ, the guy will be 23 years old in June and he hasn't even skated in the AHL, let alone the NHL. I prefer the "wait and see" method.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
I don't like any of the comparisons with established NHL players. Christ, the guy will be 23 years old in June and he hasn't even skated in the AHL, let alone the NHL. I prefer the "wait and see" method.

That's great, but this is a forum for discussion and speculation. And some people have an eye for evaluating talent(not me).

You guys had, what, 75 million pages about Alex Galchenyuk before he ever stepped foot in the NHL. Why should Kristo be so much different? Cuz he took the college route and he's 22, instead of 19?

Habsterix*

That's great, but this is a forum for discussion and speculation. And some people have an eye for evaluating talent(not me).

You guys had, what, 75 million pages about Alex Galchenyuk before he ever stepped foot in the NHL. Why should Kristo be so much different? Cuz he took the college route and he's 22, instead of 19?
Yup, that's why. He was a man (as a talented senior) playing against weaker competition. He may turn out to be excellent, or he may be a bust. Because he chose that unusual approach of playing his senior year, any comparison is mute as there are few comparatives. Most talented college players would have turned pro a year ago.

Again though, to clarify, I'm certainly not trying to put him down, but rather trying to keep a level head about the reality of the situation. I'm hoping he turns out great.

pine*

Jeeze, you rarely exaggerate so I'm wondering what happened this morning for you to go overboard. A faster Brett Hull. So he's gonna score what? 80-90 goals a season?

I'd say 110-120 actually. Blazing speed and hands like Datsyuk. He's a better goal scorer than Stamkos imo

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Jeeze, you rarely exaggerate so I'm wondering what happened this morning for you to go overboard. A faster Brett Hull. So he's gonna score what? 80-90 goals a season?

Writing a 40% paper.. which means I'm tired and motivated purely by sugar. Being stupid on HFBoards is way more funny to me than it should be.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Interesting, is he a Gallagher type player? Or less gritty more finesse maybe.

Not as gritty, more finesse for sure. Kristo's game is about speed, passing, shooting and stickhandling.

Poor man's Kessel.

He does remind me a bit of Kessel.

No Kessel is soft and allergic to contact. Kristo won't go to the net by instinct. He's a sniper but he is physical enough and figures to be better along the boards.

Kristo will go to the net just not balls out like Gallagher does.

Will Kristo get his chance with the Habs this year or do you guys think we will have to wait till training camp next summer?

Personally I would not expect to see him get any games with the Habs this year, no need to waste a full contract year on a few games imo.

How about he plays like his "idol", mentor and friend, TJ Oshie. This comparison seem accurate a bit.

I wish he was more like Oshie in his all round game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad