Post-Game Talk: Need For Speed unlimited by both sides (Oilers 3-4 Habs)

POTG (03/02/2019)

• Total voters

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Take a look at recent 3rd overall picks. Draisaitl and Heiskanen are the only elite players(as of now) from recent years. Top 2 picks have a greater likelihood of becoming elite players. Heck make it a top 3 pick if you like, my argument still stands. The odds of getting an elite player with a top 3 pick by just missing the playoffs is lower than 0.9%.

It's fine if you are done with the conversation. I just wanted to point out that the odds of drafting an elite player by just missing the playoffs aren't that great.
Better than zero.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes you are. Many elite players go top 3. It’s the norm. And how else do Habs get one? What’s your idea?
Actually draft well? Or you know, you can piss away a season and get a Puljujarvi. That worked out so well for the Oilers.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The Habs only have one basket. Drafting as high as possible.
The discussion was JUST missing the playoffs or BARELY making the playoffs. You are far from guaranteed to win a lottery spot(back to back) by just missing the playoffs. You are also not guaranteed to draft an elite player if you actually win a lottery spot(back to back).

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So you want to put all your eggs in one basket and risk a less than 0.9% chance of drafting an elite player instead of making the playoffs? Seems pretty damn stupid.

This is so convulated and wrong. A strawman if I ever heard one, doubled with a logical fallacy.

What's damn stupid is you're arguing against this and saying it's stupid, yet doing the same thing we've done in the last 25 years seems like a great idea, and go for a pointless playoff run.

Reactions: Stubu

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It worked out well for us with Kotka........

....but yes, let's use one of the worst teams at drafting as the example of the norm
Yes and it absolutely did not work out for us with Chucky. It did not work out for the Bolts with Drouin. It did not work out for the Yotes with Strome. It did not work out by drafting Gudbrandson and Bogosian.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This is so convulated and wrong. A strawman if I ever heard one, doubled with a logical fallacy.

What's damn stupid is you're arguing against this and saying it's stupid, yet doing the same thing we've done in the last 25 years seems like a great idea, and go for a pointless playoff run.
How is it wrong? It's a 0.9% chance to draft top 3 when you just miss the playoffs. It's even less when a top 3 pick doesn't guarantee anything. That's a fact.

Slipping down a few spots but having our young players actually play meaningful hockey is worth it. If one spot makes or breaks our chances of drafting an elite player(assuming no lottery win) then that's on Timmins. You trade up for your chance to get an elite player in that case. Like I said, Devils made the playoffs last year but still ended up with a prospect that should have gone top 10 in the draft. There are always fallers. Making your franchise dependant on top 3 picks is an awful way to run your team. Even worse than what we have been doing for the past 25 years.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Are there actually people suggesting ITT that we should just donate a playoff spot to someone?:laugh:

The difference between a 13th pick and an 18th pick isn't that big, jesus...

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Are there actually people suggesting ITT that we should just donate a playoff spot to someone?:laugh:

The difference between a 13th pick and an 18th pick isn't that big, jesus...
But what about that 0.3% chance of landing an elite player! We should gamble on that instead of trying to win a meaningless Stanley Cup. Honestly, each cup winner has won cups because of their overall drafting. The best team in the league drafted their 2 best players in Kucherov and Point outside the 1st. They drafted their superstar goalie with a mid teen pick. Take away Stamkos and Hedman who were top picks and they are still a fantastic team.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
But what about that 0.3% chance of landing an elite player! We should gamble on that instead of trying to win a meaningless Stanley Cup. Honestly, each cup winner has won cups because of their overall drafting. The best team in the league drafted their 2 best players in Kucherov and Point outside the 1st. They drafted their superstar goalie with a mid teen pick. Take away Stamkos and Hedman who were top picks and they are still a fantastic team.

Even if we make it to the show and get a total beatdown by a team like Tampa it's still valuable playoff experience for kids like Domi and Kotka who need to lead the team once we're truly contending.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Even if we make it to the show and get a total beatdown by a team like Tampa it's still valuable playoff experience for kids like Domi and Kotka who need to lead the team once we're truly contending.
Absolutely. They need to be leaders when Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Romanov...etc make the show.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Let's be real here, if the choice is picking 14th with a 0.9% chance at the top 3 and making the playoffs, I'm taking the playoffs. If the 14th spot is that important then the team can just ship its 2nd round pick for it come draft day. If we're missing the playoffs, I want us to do it like last year.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Montreal had a 1-0 and 2-1 lead in both games. They barely come out with a win here thanks to Leo and McD screwing up a 2 on 0.

You play 2 bottom tier teams and you have leads, but barely come out with 3 points ? That's incredibly bad.

This team isn't good. Most people get that, too.

Oilers to be relegated, means we're close to that, too.
Yup cause teams lower in the standing never beat teams higher up. Literally never happens. Not sure why we bother to even play the games.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Let's be real here, if the choice is picking 14th with a 0.9% chance at the top 3 and making the playoffs, I'm taking the playoffs. If the 14th spot is that important then the team can just ship its 2nd round pick for it come draft day. If we're missing the playoffs, I want us to do it like last year.

Kotka keeps getting better and better. Drouin could be a perennial playoff beast. You'd have to think Domi could thrive in the playoffs. We actually have talent up front for a change. doesn't quite measure up with the best of the best but Mete potentially solidifying that top pairing along with nice winger depth we could be a solid dark horse if Price can Price.

I've been dreading playing the Leafs for awhile now because I'd just want to puke if we lost to them but now I actually kind of want that match up. We could surprise. If someone could take out TB we could have a longer spring than any of us imagined 5 months ago.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Kotka keeps getting better and better. Drouin could be a perennial playoff beast. You'd have to think Domi could thrive in the playoffs. We actually have talent up front for a change. doesn't quite measure up with the best of the best but Mete potentially solidifying that top pairing along with nice winger depth we could be a solid dark horse if Price can Price.

I've been dreading playing the Leafs for awhile now because I'd just want to puke if we lost to them but now I actually kind of want that match up. We could surprise. If someone could take out TB we could have a longer spring than any of us imagined 5 months ago.
Yeah, could happen... like I could win the lotto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad