Post-Game Talk: Need For Speed unlimited by both sides (Oilers 3-4 Habs)

POTG (03/02/2019)

• Total voters

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
None of the truly great NHLers ever woñ the Calder Trophy. Hope Vancouver's what's his name wins the jinx award. Kotkaneimi is the player most deserving at 18 yrs. old. Great game Habs.
Really? You think KK is having a better rookie season that what's his name? Seriously?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The blindest thing of all is ignoring what the facts are telling you. This team has obvious weaknesses, but based on every number that exists, they are good.

Doing better than expected and being a good team are completely different things.

No doubt this team is either playing above their level, or were underrated, either way this team does have glaring weaknesses and struggling to beat 2 bad teams is telling.

We have a stretch coming up, next week I believe where we have 3, or 4 games against pretty good teams. Will definitely need to play well and only lose 1 in regulation to make it seem like this team might actually be able to eliminate someone in the playoffs.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’d figure who that security person was and fire them.

Probably someone who was concocted for the purpose of an impact moment on Twitter. Someone who is closer to the user's imagination than he is to a real life person. Everyone knows someone with an info pipeline on Twitter but no one can ascertain if it really is based on fact.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Doing better than expected and being a good team are completely different things.

No doubt this team is either playing above their level, or were underrated, either way this team does have glaring weaknesses and struggling to beat 2 bad teams is telling.

We have a stretch coming up, next week I believe where we have 3, or 4 games against pretty good teams. Will definitely need to play well and only lose 1 in regulation to make it seem like this team might actually be able to eliminate someone in the playoffs.

There is one glaring weakness on this team, the PP. It stinks and no one can say other wise.

Goaltending was an issue, but since Weber has come back Price has traveled back in time and its 2015 again.

I mean this team is sitting in 4th place in the east, 1 point behind TOR. Better than Wash, Pens and CBJ.

There are no "bad teams" in today's NHL. This isn't pre cap era. On any given night any team can beat any team.

The Knights lost to the Panthers on Saturday what does that tell you about them? CBJ lost to the Blues, Wild lost to the Hawks. If "good" teams always beat bad teams then we would all be rich of mise-o-jeu.

I will take a series against any team. Pens have been pretty iffy this year up and down. Bruins, any series against them is a coin toss regardless of RS record. Leafs, well they have yet to win a round so I take those odds.

The only clear cut team is TB, but they are better then everyone out there.

This team is still young and growing. We don't need to win a cup this year but getting in some playoff games will be great for this group of young players. Sports is about competition in real life not whats on paper.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
There is one glaring weakness on this team, the PP. It stinks and no one can say other wise.

Goaltending was an issue, but since Weber has come back Price has traveled back in time and its 2015 again.

I mean this team is sitting in 4th place in the east, 1 point behind TOR. Better than Wash, Pens and CBJ.

There are no "bad teams" in today's NHL. This isn't pre cap era. On any given night any team can beat any team.

The Knights lost to the Panthers on Saturday what does that tell you about them? CBJ lost to the Blues, Wild lost to the Hawks. If "good" teams always beat bad teams then we would all be rich of mise-o-jeu.

I will take a series against any team. Pens have been pretty iffy this year up and down. Bruins, any series against them is a coin toss regardless of RS record. Leafs, well they have yet to win a round so I take those odds.

This team is still young and growing. We don't need to win a cup this year but getting in some playoff games will be great for this group of young players. Sports is about competition in real life not whats on paper.

Columbus isn't a good team and the Wild certainly aren't a good team.

I guess you could argue that there is really only Tampa and Calgary who are runaway teams and a few bad teams and everyone else is just stuck in the middle bracket.

Maybe this year is just mediocrity stacked on mediocrity.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I guess you could argue that there is really only Tampa and Calgary who are runaway teams and a few bad teams and everyone else is just stuck in the middle bracket.

There will be teams that'll get hot in time. It's never really what you do in the season, but how you finish it and start the playoffs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Something's gotta give -- either Byron hits the IR or someone is waved on Thursday, most likely:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

It could be argued that way. But I think thats the way the NHL is going. Keep in mind that 04-09 was an incredible run of talent at the draft. We haven't seen something like that since. Then you also had all those back diving contracts too. We are getting away from that era. Teams can't cheat to keep those elite talents and tanking isn't giving teams a guranteed generational player and ticket to a cup.

So we probably end up with 1 or 2 really great teams, and then a lot of close teams.

Its funny you mention Calgary. They didn't even make the playoffs last year. And its not like they have been drafting top 3 for the past few years. They only have one top 5 drafted pick, and its Sam Bennet. You could just as well argue they are overachieving. I bet the same fans who talk about the tanking and habs aren't for real would say the same thing if we were in Calgary's position.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It could be argued that way. But I think thats the way the NHL is going. Keep in mind that 04-09 was an incredible run of talent at the draft. We haven't seen something like that since. Then you also had all those back diving contracts too. We are getting away from that era. Teams can't cheat to keep those elite talents and tanking isn't giving teams a guranteed generational player and ticket to a cup.

So we probably end up with 1 or 2 really great teams, and then a lot of close teams.

Its funny you mention Calgary. They didn't even make the playoffs last year. And its not like they have been drafting top 3 for the past few years. They only have one top 5 drafted pick, and its Sam Bennet. You could just as well argue they are overachieving. I bet the same fans who talk about the tanking and habs aren't for real would say the same thing if we were in Calgary's position.

Calgary, oddly enough might need a goalie. Rittich has played well and everyone knows Smith sucks, but they have a number 1 centre, number 2 centre. Star offensive player, very good d and young players.

We might have our goalie back. Have decent forward who either need time to develop further (KK and possibly Mete), an alright d-core and some pieces that might help us turn the corner in the next 1-3 years.

I and I'm sure everyone else takes Calgary over the habs 10/10 times.

Calgary made a trade that has them winning easily while most of hf, myself included thought they had lost it.

Tkachuk got another year of experience.

Will be interesting to see how they do next year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Of course there are bad teams and no we're not better than the Caps or Pens because we are ahead of them in the standings, we aren't on par with the Leafs either.
Regular season means squat and deep down you know this otherwise you'd be talking about being contenders and absolutely gunning for the cup.
If you felt standings were truly representative of where a team stands, no reason to doubt the Habs being contenders.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Last game of the season you will have the same people saying we should tank and miss the playoffs LOL.

53 games into the season, 1 pt behind TOR, 3rd place in the Atlantic, more points than WASH and PENS, 8 pts ahead of the 2 teams chasing the last WC spot.

But yes lets finish 15th because who likes watching playoff hockey. F a Bruins or Toronto series. At least it will prove that MB is truely the clown in purple pants.
You still need this to be proven to you?? Lol That ship has sailed a long ass time ago.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Elias Whattsissface is probably a shoe-in for rookie-of-the-year, but he's close to two years older than Jesperi Whatsisniemi.
Carter Hart is getting closer to the Swede. If he keeps it up, he'll get it.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Calgary, oddly enough might need a goalie. Rittich has played well and everyone knows Smith sucks, but they have a number 1 centre, number 2 centre. Star offensive player, very good d and young players.

We might have our goalie back. Have decent forward who either need time to develop further (KK and possibly Mete), an alright d-core and some pieces that might help us turn the corner in the next 1-3 years.

I and I'm sure everyone else takes Calgary over the habs 10/10 times.

Calgary made a trade that has them winning easily while most of hf, myself included thought they had lost it.

Tkachuk got another year of experience.

Will be interesting to see how they do next year.

I think with another year or 2 we can get to Calgary level. Remember where they were last year. Tkachuck has exploded, could that be KK in a year or two?

Monohan also has turned out, thats like our Domi.

We have a lot of young D maybe one will break out? and we also can do our big move in the next year or 2 like Calgary's trade.

I think we are at the begining now. The trip isn't over yet. But getting some playoff action will do the boys wonders.

I want to see if Calgary has what it takes in the playoffs since they haven't had many playoffs and our still a bit of a young team.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Of course there are bad teams and no we're not better than the Caps or Pens because we are ahead of them in the standings, we aren't on par with the Leafs either.
Regular season means squat and deep down you know this otherwise you'd be talking about being contenders and absolutely gunning for the cup.
If you felt standings were truly representative of where a team stands, no reason to doubt the Habs being contenders.

And LA was a better team then Montreal at the begining of the season and now here we are with them battling for last. The point stands that BY POINTS we have more than those teams I mentioned. So shouldn't they tank to?

And why to we have to be "contenders" this year. There are probably 10 or more teams that will make the playoffs that aren't "contenders". The team doesn't have to go from 0-60.

And I would take the habs against any team in the east not called Tampa. Not going to say they could 100% win but I think they would be competitive. This edition of the habs have shown all season long they are resilient and can bounce back, this isn't the 2014 team anymore. Give me Boston or Toronto. Lets see what happens on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->