Necas and Fleury to Checkers--Bishop up

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is probably a special teams move. The team is fine 5v5 and losing Necas shouldn’t change that. There is nobody in Charlotte that is likely to make a difference on the PP, so unless there is a trade, the guys on the NHL roster need to get it to work.

Bishop might be able to help the PK though which is maybe why he got the call up.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
It makes sense to have Necas and Fleury play more prominent roles in Charlotte. Both should benefit.

I will gloat a little as I called Bishop as the call-up. He adds more speed and forechecking--really fits with the current team character.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Wallmark is the third center and has earned it, over Necas anyways and Necas needs to be playing a big role somewhere. Him being sent down is absolutely in line with his play. To be honest him staying up in the first place went a little against the whole “earn it” concept in camp because it never seemed he did, and it seemed he and Svech made it based on the fact we’re marketing the future around the two of them more than brilliant play. Svech has looked good enough to stay but Necas has not.

Bishop is an obvious choice since it’s the fourth line job, Roy shouldn’t be up to play that. Bishop can be the new Brown, and he certainly earned it in camp.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t disagree but at least we aren’t forcing something that isn’t there with the kid. We do have Rask coming eventually, and we’ve been pretty successful so far.

Bishop will play with the same pace the rest of the guys have been playing at as well.

Wonder if the 3rd/4th lines get retooled overall or if the 4th just becomes the third?

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Rod is sending a clear message to all the players.
He wants this Canes team to make the Play-Offs in a big way.
Each player needs to take responsibility of their preparation for each game.
Necas is an A+ prospect but he needs to perform at a high on a consistent basis.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
H7cBzlKg_bigger.jpg
Michael Smith‏ @MSmithCanes 7h7 hours ago

Necas and Fleury should both benefit playing in Charlotte.
Though he scored his first NHL on Tuesday, Necas played just 6:43.
Fleury has played one game.
Both should see top minutes in varied situations.
Will allow Necas to adjust more and Fleury to get game action.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Canes Recall Bishop, Assign Necas and Fleury to AHL

Bishop has earned three points in four AHL games this season

by Canes PR @NHLCanes
RALEIGH, NC

Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Clark Bishop from Charlotte (AHL) and assigned forward Martin Necas and defenseman Haydn Fleury to the Checkers.
Bishop, 22, has posted three points (1g, 2a) in four AHL games this season. The St. John's, N.L., native is in his third professional season and has recorded 37 points (10g, 27a) in 114 career AHL games. Selected by the Hurricanes in the fifth round (127th overall) in the 2014 NHL Draft, Bishop played four seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for Cape Breton from 2012-16, tallying 129 points (57g, 72a) in 202 games.
Canes Recall Bishop, Assign Necas and Fleury to AHL

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I'm a huge fan of Necas, but this is absolutely the right move...and while I'm sure many of you think it came a bit late, I think it's a positive that they gave him 7 games to try to sort it out for himself. And really, it's fortunate for Necas to have gotten his first NHL goal in his last game, so he didn't have to carry that burden down with him.

Speaking of burden, and pulling an observation completely out of my ass, it appears to me that Necas is gripping the proverbial stick too tight. He's worked so hard to get to this point, placed so much importance on being ready for the big club, and likely felt the pressure of being on the same level as Svechnikov, it just doesn't look like he's having fun out there. I am thinking of his last goal and one in preseason, and in both cases his facial expression looked more like relief than joy. It just doesn't look like he's letting the game come to him...he looks tense and rushed. Maybe his brain is spinning through too many "which play is the right play to make...should I do this or should I do that" scenarios while he's playing...who knows.

Anyway, I'm hoping he can find some fun in his game while he's in CLT. It seems Vellucci is a good developmental coach...maybe he can help.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is probably a special teams move. The team is fine 5v5 and losing Necas shouldn’t change that. There is nobody in Charlotte that is likely to make a difference on the PP, so unless there is a trade, the guys on the NHL roster need to get it to work.

Bishop might be able to help the PK though which is maybe why he got the call up.
I'm horrified of the notion someone made that they're making room for a trade. It'll be quantity if they need room.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Ferland/Aho/TT
Foegele/Staal/Williams
Martinook/Wallmark/Svech
McGinn/Bishop/Zykov

Hmmm... i don't like our depth, not enough support scoring on third and fourth line

Not a surprise. The depth was reliant on the rookies, especially once Rask went down in the kitchen. With Necas and Svech And Zykov not getting much one yet that depth isn’t materializing.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Rod is sending a clear message to all the players.
He wants this Canes team to make the Play-Offs in a big way.
Each player needs to take responsibility of their preparation for each game.
Necas is an A+ prospect but he needs to perform at a high on a consistent basis.
I think the message is equally that the organization has enough serviceable talent that it can be patient with its high-end talent. Bishop might not provide more "play-off" potential, but he does allow Necas to get much more attention from Vellucci and the Charlotte staff than he would in Raleigh. Because RBA has so many new faces that require an equal amount of attention.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Necas, but this is absolutely the right move...and while I'm sure many of you think it came a bit late, I think it's a positive that they gave him 7 games to try to sort it out for himself. And really, it's fortunate for Necas to have gotten his first NHL goal in his last game, so he didn't have to carry that burden down with him.

Speaking of burden, and pulling an observation completely out of my ass, it appears to me that Necas is gripping the proverbial stick too tight. He's worked so hard to get to this point, placed so much importance on being ready for the big club, and likely felt the pressure of being on the same level as Svechnikov, it just doesn't look like he's having fun out there. I am thinking of his last goal and one in preseason, and in both cases his facial expression looked more like relief than joy. It just doesn't look like he's letting the game come to him...he looks tense and rushed. Maybe his brain is spinning through too many "which play is the right play to make...should I do this or should I do that" scenarios while he's playing...who knows.

Anyway, I'm hoping he can find some fun in his game while he's in CLT. It seems Vellucci is a good developmental coach...maybe he can help.

I think this is very evident in the passes he makes, a lot of them are either the wrong pass or completely off target

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad