Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Josh is the better D-man hands down.

Pionk has 2 RFA years owed to the team after this one.

Pionk should sign a 4-5 year contract with Jets in the 5 mill-$5.2 mill range.

His high point totals the last 2 years are inflated by his usage with the Jets high. Octane offensive forwards.
If he was another team his point totals would be much lower!

Josh Morrissey will turn it around and will be the key to our defence for the next 7.5 years left on his contract.

If Buff / Myers/ and Chairot would have stayed and played on the Jets last year ...... Pionk s usage would have been totally different and we would be looking to re sign Pionk this summer at 4 mill per season over 5 years!!!
I strongly disagree Pionk is likely the best defenceman in the entire north division right now. Morrisey has struggled the last couple of seasons injury something else I have no idea. He plays too much he should not be on the 1st power play. Hope he gets it together but Pionk plays with Passion. Morrisey doesn’t right now.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
This is a good point. The cap won't remain flat forever. The Jets are in a good cap situation, and they could certainly afford Pionk at around $5.5-6M. It might turn out to be a bad contract, but I don't think so. I think he's going to be a solid #2-4 D for the next several seasons, with some potential to improve. He's better defensively than I expected, but I think his offense has room to grow as the shackles come off. As long as the contract isn't too long, having Pionk offers stability in the top-4, while players like Samberg and Heinola come into the roster.
The jets don’t have him on the #1 power play ??????

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
The jets don’t have him on the #1 power play ??????

I like it that way personally. It balances the units better. The second unit needs Pionk to quarterback from the point, while the first unit quarterbacks from the half wall through Scheifele now. Morrissey isn't quite as good as Pionk in that point position, but both units are extremely dangerous (albeit frustrating at times - like pretty much every teams pp) this way and Maurice doesn't have to leave that top unit out for 1:45 at a time.

Reactions: hn777

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I like it that way personally. It balances the units better. The second unit needs Pionk to quarterback from the point, while the first unit quarterbacks from the half wall through Scheifele now. Morrissey isn't quite as good as Pionk in that point position, but both units are extremely dangerous (albeit frustrating at times - like pretty much every teams pp) this way and Maurice doesn't have to leave that top unit out for 1:45 at a time.
Your joking right. Your best offensive defenceman on the second power play. Give your head a shake. Next season Pionk and Heinola on the #1 power play will make the jets the#1 power play in the league. Anything less Maurice and Chevy should be fired.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Your joking right. Your best offensive defenceman on the second power play. Give your head a shake. Next season Pionk and Heinola on the #1 power play will make the jets the#1 power play in the league. Anything less Maurice and Chevy should be fired.

By that logic the first unit should be Scheifele, Wheeler, Dubois, Ehlers, and Pionk. Your four best offensive forwards and your top D. A second unit would look like Connor, Stastny, Perrault, Appleton, Morrissey. That second unit is going to do nothing as there isn't a natural quarterback on that line. Putting all the eggs in one basket doesn't always make for the best basket of eggs. Two very dangerous units are better than one big unit that under-utilizes its components.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I've liked the 2 PP units and how they've been used this year. Both have a decent chance to score. Its exciting to have a second chance if the first unit can't get anything going

Reactions: hn777

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
By that logic the first unit should be Scheifele, Wheeler, Dubois, Ehlers, and Pionk. Your four best offensive forwards and your top D. A second unit would look like Connor, Stastny, Perrault, Appleton, Morrissey. That second unit is going to do nothing as there isn't a natural quarterback on that line. Putting all the eggs in one basket doesn't always make for the best basket of eggs. Two very dangerous units are better than one big unit that under-utilizes its components.

dubois is far from our best. I would have Appleton or copp over him rright now, and he way Perrault is playing right now I would take him even,

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How has Dubois proven himself a better offensive weapon than kc. Also how has wheeler proven himself more deserving on 1st pp than kc. Ehlers is taking over playmaking role and kc is still our best sniper.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
This off-season is a mutually beneficial time to lock up a long-term deal. Pionk has been inconsistent in his career thus far so he’d probably like some term and the Jets get ahead of what an AAV might be if Pionk has another great season.

6 years $28 million would be my opening offer as the Jets hoping to land at $5 million AAV.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This off-season is a mutually beneficial time to lock up a long-term deal. Pionk has been inconsistent in his career thus far so he’d probably like some term and the Jets get ahead of what an AAV might be if Pionk has another great season.

6 years $28 million would be my opening offer as the Jets hoping to land at $5 million AAV.
My hope is 6 at 6 and he is generous enough

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
dubois is far from our best. I would have Appleton or copp over him rright now, and he way Perrault is playing right now I would take him even,

How has Dubois proven himself a better offensive weapon than kc. Also how has wheeler proven himself more deserving on 1st pp than kc. Ehlers is taking over playmaking role and kc is still our best sniper.

Unless I'm understanding these posts wrong, I think you guys missed the point of my argument. I agree that Dubois hasn't been better than Connor, etc. yet.
My point was simply that stacking the first unit isn't always the best thing for the team. While I don't like many of Maurice's coaching choices I really like the personnel choices on the power play that leave the Jets with two potent units instead of just one overwhelming one.
I was in no way suggesting I'd like to see this, but rather the opposite.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i hope so too..... but that seems like not enough. he's gonna lead this d group in points and close in TOI. Think it's 6M minimum. Krug contract is my comparable.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Also inconsistent in his career? He has 3 seasons one with rangers who are a tire fire and since being here he is consistently great. Dream on signing him cheap instead aim for fair long term.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hot take alert...

Based on a range of metrics, it could be said that Pionk's play so far this season exceeds any previous season by a D in Winnipeg Jets 2.0. I'll go out on a limb and say that the only reason he's not considered a bona fide #1D this season is his size and the residual bias based on his performance in his first couple of seasons with the Rangers. If he was 6'3", he'd be widely touted as a top D in the NHL.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Hot take alert...

Based on a range of metrics, it could be said that Pionk's play so far this season exceeds any previous season by a D in Winnipeg Jets 2.0. I'll go out on a limb and say that the only reason he's not considered a bona fide #1D this season is his size and the residual bias based on his performance in his first couple of seasons with the Rangers. If he was 6'3", he'd be widely touted as a top D in the NHL.

Im fine with him going under the radar until he’s locked up long term. Then he can win the Norris.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Hot take alert...

I agree. I said this this in a different post. It’s bang on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Im fine with him going under the radar until he’s locked up long term. Then he can win the Norris.
I think it's a bit too late for that, but perhaps Pionk will see that this is a great fit for him and will be willing to sign a decent long-term deal. I'm thinking something around $6M or so, for 7-8 years.

It really depends on whether you believe his performance over the past couple of seasons with the Jets is indicative of his future performance. If so, he's a solid #2-3D.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pionk is 7th in scoring.

Look at % of pp pts.
upload_2021-3-16_19-47-44.png

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm trying to track down a home heritage Pionk jersey - you'd think that was easy but unless you want to go knockoffs, it is not.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm trying to track down a home heritage Pionk jersey - you'd think that was easy but unless you want to go knockoffs, it is not.
Go to Royal Sports and order it custom. They will send it to Adidas to get it pro-stitched. Expensive, but very good quality and worth it. Just picked up a heritage Connor jersey last week that I’m very pleased with

Reactions: Jet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I stumbled upon this thread the other day, it ended quickly. :popcorn::D

Trouba vs Pionk

That was a month ago. Pionk has gotten better since. Trouba has not. Pionk is better both offensively and defensively. Right now, I take Pionk over Trouba straight up, with no consideration of contracts.

Consider contracts plus Heinola and Chevy really hit a homerun on that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad