Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Thats not our team, coach, or players job to do, it’s the leagues.

But our response in March should be getting Pionk a hat trick and beating the leafs in humiliating fashion.
How about score on them every time Spezza and Simmonds are on the ice. They won't get anymore shifts after the score is 6-0 by early 2nd period.
Oh yah, their 9coach blatantly admits coaching for "a response" so those morons probably would get more icetime.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And it is a huge stretch to believe any team would be physically intimidated by the Leafs. I guess they can sic Spezza and Simonds on the Jets. What joke of a fan base.
They are a fan base thst is easily lead. They own their paid for media and they do their job by telling the fans what to think. If Keefe wants to think gooning is a "response" thats that the media will tell the fan base and they repeat it.

It's pay to play for the media over there. You want access Dubas better see his article about what a great reclamation project Galchenyuk is.

It's no different than picking a single person to blamentheir first round loss on every year and funny how it's never Dubas' fault. It's been Kadri, Babcock, Anderssen and Marner. But never the guy who hired these guys and never a question of the overall team. Just pick the scape goat and everything else is fine.

Or the most blatant was Dubas signing that Matthews contract and trotting Bob Mackenzie out to tell the fans that it was a great contract and it totally works with a stupid 20 man roster. So yeah, if Leaf management needs Simmonds jumping guys from behind to be a "response" the Leaf fan base will eat it up.

As a jet fan if they want Simmonds to play for 6 minutes and take 18 minutes in penalties and call it a good thing, sounds good to me. It was great for the Jets, they seemed to enjoy it.

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
A couple of comments from the Laffs board.

There is no question PLD and Pionk have targets on their chests now.

I'd have Stanley at the top of the list for his antics at the end (had raise gesture)
I'd posterize it and put it on the dressing room wall before the next game they play, or anytime the team needs a wake up call.

I honestly dislike the Laffs' fans more than any other team's fans in the League.
They truly are collective pieces of shit. Watching the brutally dirty Spezza knee to Pionk's head on youtube yesterday, there were well over 1000 comments, and i swear every second one was "So much respect for Spezza after that hit!", "Great job Spezza!", etc, etc. I didnt see one comment condemning the hit, all the while wishing everything but death to Pionk. The guy f**king kneed a player in the head and gave him a brain injury for f**ks sakes. Like how is an errant knee on knee worse than a knee to head?!?! After reading those comments it seems its not only Pionk who has a brain injury.

Big Carl

Nov 24, 2021
I don't think he's been disappointing. I think he was by far our best defenseman last year and especially with the way 44 and 88 are playing a more average level of play by Neal is more noticeable.

Omg. Ok, this is clearly a troll. He's been the best player on the team.

Totally agree with both of these, he's been one of the most consistant players on ice for the Jets. It might be my bias toward Pionk, seeing as he's my favorite current player, but I could see an arguement for him playing on top 2 pairing.

Everyday that trade Chevy made with Rangers, makes him look like a genius. Trading Trouba for Pinok straight up has us looking like we won that trade, nevermind the first round pick we got back.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I like Pionk and love his attitude/mean streak. Almost all D men should have one.
To say he has been our best player this season is being generous. He's been pretty consistent but I'd give best player to PLD followed by KC, Helle and JMo.

Reactions: Channelcat

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I like Pionk and love his attitude/mean streak. Almost all D men should have one.
To say he has been our best player this season is being generous. He's been pretty consistent but I'd give best player to PLD followed by KC, Helle and JMo.
I won't argue with you, PLD and KC have been great, but Pionk drives this bus both directions. I think he's a phenomenal player. At the risk of going totally hyperbolic, I'll even say he's among the best dmen in the league.

Reactions: Big Carl

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I won't argue with you, PLD and KC have been great, but Pionk drives this bus both directions. I think he's a phenomenal player. At the risk of going totally hyperbolic, I'll even say he's among the best dmen in the league.
I like Pionk too but you are "going totally hyperbolic."

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I love the attitude that Pionk plays with.

I wonder if he arrived in NY with it or gained it by playing all those rivalries that are in that division.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Good thing we are no longer comparing Pionk with Trouba and that both teams can be happy with what they got. After all, Trouba is playing really good hockey right now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Canadian Division really fooled us & the Jets. he's stunk ever since he signed that deal and has been a shell of that season.

1714579876066.jpeg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
There's a damning article here that agrees with you... paid.\\Neal Pionk is having an off year with the Winnipeg Jets
Think at the time of the deal, many including myself thought it may be a good deal given the season he had, and considering it was next to Forbort.

I figured the Jets would improve on his partner (which they did) and could perhaps sustain that level of play (which he did not) as he got more experience. Thankful its not more than 4 years.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Think at the time of the deal, many including myself thought it may be a good deal given the season he had, and considering it was next to Forbort.

I figured the Jets would improve on his partner (which they did) and could perhaps sustain that level of play (which he did not) as he got more experience. Thankful its not more than 4 years.
Most, it not all, thought it was a good deal - myself included.
There was an interesting thread from back in 2019 (before he signed the big contract) with a discussion on what he was worth - some of the numbers thrown around were out to lunch.
Here's a post I did in that thread - and I got hammered for it (also interesting is that you were the only poster to agree with my comments).
Side note - this is not to say I have any better view of a player than anyone else - but I think I had this one pegged.

Neal Pionk Part 2 (Nov 11, 2019)

"What I'm saying is that I don't think he is worth the money that is being discussed in this thread -
He played well LY but against a backdrop of poor defenders, he looked better than he is.

My biggest concern is that he hasn't shown that style of game consistently. His history has not shown us that he is a physical dman or an aggressive one.

I'm concerned that he gave it his all LY - meaning everything he had to give and he did it knowing this year was payday year. Don't get me wrong - we want our players to leave it all out there. But, I don't think a player of his size (and speed) will be able to continue to play this style going forward. I don't believe his skill level alone warrants $6M+

I also have concerns that he will even try to play that type of game after he is signed. It's super risky for these smaller guys to play on the edge through their career - the odds are, it will catch up with him and I think he is smart enough to realize that. I feel he might revert back to a safer game after the contact is signed.

My opinion is just a hunch - I don't know what he will bring after the money is determined.

I hope I am wrong because the Jets are likely going to pay him - then again, Chevy may be struggling with the value here - I wouldn't be surprised

Not sure what your Myers comments means in relation to my post - I didn't suggest size is the key to choosing Dmen.

What I did say is that small / slow Dmen is a poor combination for a top 4 player."

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Most, it not all, thought it was a good deal - myself included.
There was an interesting thread from back in 2019 (before he signed the big contract) with a discussion on what he was worth - some of the numbers thrown around were out to lunch.
Here's a post I did in that thread - and I got hammered for it (also interesting is that you were the only poster to agree with my comments).
Side note - this is not to say I have any better view of a player than anyone else - but I think I had this one pegged.

Neal Pionk Part 2 (Nov 11, 2019)

"What I'm saying is that I don't think he is worth the money that is being discussed in this thread -
He played well LY but against a backdrop of poor defenders, he looked better than he is.

My biggest concern is that he hasn't shown that style of game consistently. His history has not shown us that he is a physical dman or an aggressive one.

I'm concerned that he gave it his all LY - meaning everything he had to give and he did it knowing this year was payday year. Don't get me wrong - we want our players to leave it all out there. But, I don't think a player of his size (and speed) will be able to continue to play this style going forward. I don't believe his skill level alone warrants $6M+

I also have concerns that he will even try to play that type of game after he is signed. It's super risky for these smaller guys to play on the edge through their career - the odds are, it will catch up with him and I think he is smart enough to realize that. I feel he might revert back to a safer game after the contact is signed.

My opinion is just a hunch - I don't know what he will bring after the money is determined.

I hope I am wrong because the Jets are likely going to pay him - then again, Chevy may be struggling with the value here - I wouldn't be surprised

Not sure what your Myers comments means in relation to my post - I didn't suggest size is the key to choosing Dmen.

What I did say is that small / slow Dmen is a poor combination for a top 4 player."
he was going to get a good money contract b/c of points and TOI. that's just how it is. looking back this was my reservation on it:

from summer 2021
"agreed. there are a few things i worry about when discussing a new deal for him. ie: first year as a high-end top4D, shorter schedule, no divisional crossing ...... but i think he will likely have his strongest D partner to-date next year, so hopefully he builds upon his latest showing (which was really good, as illustrated)"

"great deal for both sides. all-around reasonable imo. i wanted a 4 year deal, was expecting between 5.5-6m on that term. gotta think a 7-8 year deal is in the 6.5m+ range. imo, 4 years for a 26 year old dman with really 1 high-end year under his belt is much easier to stomach."

coming off a great season - the following year he got a better partner, better defensive team/structure, and his play went down the drain.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Pionk was better than what I expected him to be after the trade - I was expecting him to be even shittier than the shit he has been as a defender. He basically had one decent year as a Jet. I mostly stopped posting about him because this place just blows up when you point out bad play or trades involving certain players. Anyway, eventually the truth comes out and people can't deny the obvious.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I'm not even convinced that there is room in the league for Neal Pionk. But I am absolutely certain that there is no room for Neal Pionk on a top 5 team getting top 4 minutes.

His entire 2024 season was an abomination. People will point to the playoffs, but he has been the same level of terrible all year. Hellebuyck was able to bail him out more times than not in the regular season but that lifejacket went away in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad