Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I do recall holding out hope he could find a much higher level of play for the Jets, within a couple years.
I did read one NYR fans take on the trade and stated Pionk has way more potential than what he showed in NYR's uniform, due to his skill level of play at U M-D and his rush into top minutes, unsheltered play with the Rangers where he had _hitty coaching and poor team around him. He shared Jets were getting a pretty solid competitor whose early NHL experience was an anomoly, now that he is going to a better team with structure. Sure enough, eh! Plus, plus, plus...

I confess, the NYR fans takes on him had my expectations pretty low. I was pleasantly surprised last year. Disappointed by him in the play-in. This year he has risen to another level altogether. I think he will be much better in post-season play too.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He’s going to be a Norris finalist this year hopefully we can ink him up long term for less then morrisey
if he's going to be a norris finalist, while leading this team in Dmen scoring and vie for top 5 in the entire NHL, how is he going to be paid less than morrissey? points+TOI get you paid as a dman, and pionk will lap our d group in pts, and be close in toi. he'll be a norris finalist in a contract year, something morrissey has not achieved ever.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Re-signing this guy long term has to be a priority for Chevy. I think he's the real deal now. If we could just clone him and put one Pionk on each pairing we'd be the number 1 cup contenders.

:laugh:
I would like a little variety among our Dmen. If we have a cloning machine I'll take 1 Drew Doughty and 1 Cale Makar please. For the left side, I'd like a Miro Heiskanen and, for nostalgia, one Larry Robinson. :laugh:

With those 4 clones, Pionk and Morrissey can stay. Why not? :laugh:

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pionk is almost a ppg dman and there is still some posters who say morrisey is better ??

Pionk also body checks and went one on one with mcdavid and basically shut him down.

It’s not even close. I said this before if pionk was 6 foot 3 and 220 he would be winning the Norris

Yeah, but he is not 6'3 and 220. Those are not just numbers on the roster list.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Unless I'm understanding these posts wrong, I think you guys missed the point of my argument. I agree that Dubois hasn't been better than Connor, etc. yet.
My point was simply that stacking the first unit isn't always the best thing for the team. While I don't like many of Maurice's coaching choices I really like the personnel choices on the power play that leave the Jets with two potent units instead of just one overwhelming one.
I was in no way suggesting I'd like to see this, but rather the opposite.

The whole point of the PP is to overwhelm, thus the name Power Play. PP is not as strenuous as 5v5 play. You can leave players out for the full 2 minutes. Use the 2nd unit sparingly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i hope so too..... but that seems like not enough. he's gonna lead this d group in points and close in TOI. Think it's 6M minimum. Krug contract is my comparable.

Krug signed that contract at 29 YO, no RFA years. Otherwise a good comp, I think.
I'm thinking Pionk at 7 yrs x 6 mil.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
There are so many differences between jmo and pionk.

for one intensity. No gliding and playing with a purpose

another is confidence. It’s night and day

as I posted before pionk adapted into exactly what we need, he takes runs at guys , shuts down a great players and get points.

Morrisey adapted exactly into what we don’t need.

pionk adapted into what everyone thought morrisey would be.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
think i am missing a post or it got deleted.

but if pionk accepts less than JoMo, Chevy is either a wizard or Pionk is really doing us a solid by not only being superior than current-Trouba and Morrissey, but being far better per salary (given they'd have long-term deals now).

So less than Jomo? Despite better scoring and better d huh. Interesting.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
his play has been night and day (IMO) compared to last year. guy has been great out there night-in night-out

nYotrrG.gif

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Pionk is #1 total hits by a Jets D and 2nd to Lowry for overall for the team hits leader
Miss the highlight hits from Tanev, Buff and Chariot

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pionk is #1 total hits by a Jets D and 2nd to Lowry for overall for the team hits leader

Yea Pionk is a very physical D man where it counts and that is against the other teams star players. Many Other fans in the North hate him for it which is a compliment.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I thought I'd give this thread a bump instead of starting a new one about his next deal.
I think he gets 37m over 6 years, same as Helle.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Did Tanev have highlight hits? I mostly just remember him scurrying around and bouncing off of people.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
if he's going to be a norris finalist, while leading this team in Dmen scoring and vie for top 5 in the entire NHL, how is he going to be paid less than morrissey? points+TOI get you paid as a dman, and pionk will lap our d group in pts, and be close in toi. he'll be a norris finalist in a contract year, something morrissey has not achieved ever.

Warranted for Pionk, too. He is a rock'em-sock'em stud Dman. Just too bad he wasn't 6" taller and 40 #'s heavier! He actually hits more often and better, tougher than Demelo, yet is our only puck carrying, offensive defenseman.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Pionk is almost a ppg dman and there is still some posters who say morrisey is better ??

Pionk also body checks and went one on one with mcdavid and basically shut him down.

It’s not even close. I said this before if pionk was 6 foot 3 and 220 he would be winning the Norris

Absolutely!
Hopefully Chevy can sign him for 7 or 8 years under $7 mil per, and we can focus on developing our D-prospects and playing those who are ready! (aka, Heinola, Samberg,)

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

If he hits even higher targets and Jets go far in North div Playoffs with Pionk standing out, his agent is going to demand closer to Drew Doughty $$$$'s, less Covid-era adjustment to profit drops.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
He’s going to be a Norris finalist this year hopefully we can ink him up long term for less then morrisey

I love Pionk but he's getting close to zero Norris votes. It's a scoring award and he's not in the top ten and dumb dumb hockey writers will somehow chalk all his accomplishments up to playing in front of Hellebuyck anyhow.

Reactions: Jet and Duke749

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I love Pionk but he's getting close to zero Norris votes. It's a scoring award and he's not in the top ten and dumb dumb hockey writers will somehow chalk all his accomplishments up to playing in front of Hellebuyck anyhow.
Has there ever been a team that had both the Norris and the vending in the same season?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
yes

quite a few times

SeasonLgNORTmVEZ
2008-09NHLZdeno CharaBOSTim Thomas
2003-04NHLScott NiedermayerNJDMartin Brodeur
1992-93NHLChris CheliosCHIEd Belfour
1988-89NHLChris CheliosMTLPatrick Roy
1976-77NHLLarry RobinsonMTLKen Dryden
1965-66NHLJacques LaperriereMTLCharlie Hodge
1962-63NHLPierre PiloteCHIGlenn Hall
1959-60NHLDoug HarveyMTLJacques Plante
1958-59NHLTom JohnsonMTLJacques Plante
1957-58NHLDoug HarveyMTLJacques Plante
1956-57NHLDoug HarveyMTLJacques Plante
1955-56NHLDoug HarveyMTLJacques Plante
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Has there ever been a team that had both the Norris and the vending in the same season?

Reactions: hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
With all the stupid awards the NHL has I still cannot believe that there is only one defenseman award. There should be best overall defenseman (Norris) and the season scoring champ (Orr). Just do it, NHL.

Reactions: DRW204

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad