Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He has been fantastic. But everyone is great in their contract year. Sadly this is pro sports.
He was very good last year as well.

He's just a good player. He may have trained harder in the offseason knowing that it was a contract year but I doubt he's sitting on the bench between shifts thinking he's going to get paid if he has a great shift.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He was very good last year as well.

He's just a good player. He may have trained harder in the offseason knowing that it was a contract year but I doubt he's sitting on the bench between shifts thinking he's going to get paid if he has a great shift.
I'm not going to argue with you about Pionk....... I absolutely love the guy! But, he is thinking about getting paid every shift he is out there.

Reactions: Jet

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I love how Pionk was being tossed around the board as basically a throw in and now he's our best Dman
Yep if Chevy got us a better coach he deserves the Jack Adam’s award. A number of deals that went under the radar looking great. Especially Pionk but stastny was pretty good too.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wonder if anyone has bumped the Trouba for Pionk main boards thread recently?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Is there ANYONE who could have foreseen how damned good #4 would be when we acquired him? Trouba has regressed (at best, he hasn't gotten better) and Pionk just keeps getting better. Man, is he fun to watch!
I do recall holding out hope he could find a much higher level of play for the Jets, within a couple years.
I did read one NYR fans take on the trade and stated Pionk has way more potential than what he showed in NYR's uniform, due to his skill level of play at U M-D and his rush into top minutes, unsheltered play with the Rangers where he had _hitty coaching and poor team around him. He shared Jets were getting a pretty solid competitor whose early NHL experience was an anomoly, now that he is going to a better team with structure. Sure enough, eh! Plus, plus, plus...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
download (67).png

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
for those here who think pionk will drop off once he gets paid i don;t think that will be the case. the guy was undrafted - he'll always be hungry. it's not like he was a 1st round draft pick prima donna.

if anything he should only get better. i'm thinking he can be at the level of a prime john kligberg. if anything i would rather have pionk the way he is now and will be than klingberg.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Great booming shot on the point. Would like to see him on the first PP unit.

Looks like we won the Trouba trade, just from performance alone. When you take into account contact demands, the trade is looking very lopsided.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Great booming shot on the point. Would like to see him on the first PP unit.

Looks like we won the Trouba trade, just from performance alone. When you take into account contact demands, the trade is looking very lopsided.
2018/19 was an outlier season for Trouba. I didn't think he ever looked like a top pair d and was baffled by that contract. I believe that there are NHL GMs who literally haven't watched the players they acquire. The Ladd signing another good example.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
when'd this guy get such a lethal shot? last year he was just tossing muffins on net.

Pionk is 7th for Dmen scoring the last 2 seasons and 28th in toi/gp (all strengths)

at 5v5 he's 50th in scoring and 16th in toi/gp.....so he's getting the typical Jets PP boost in scoring.

he's gonna make big $$$

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
when'd this guy get such a lethal shot? last year he was just tossing muffins on net.

Pionk is 7th for Dmen scoring the last 2 seasons and 28th in toi/gp (all strengths)

at 5v5 he's 50th in scoring and 16th in toi/gp.....so he's getting the typical Jets PP boost in scoring.

he's gonna make big $$$
Practice, practice, practice...shooting ice-chunks off the cliffs onto Lake Superior, outside of Duluth, early winter before new season started, before Christmas. Kids there do it all the time, going back 30+ years.
Or, maybe a beneficial end-result of Patrik Laine era was, Pionk was tired of dodging Laine lazers in practice and decided to learn how to and practice the old "lazer-bomb slap-shot"?

Reactions: voyageur

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Practice, practice, practice...shooting ice-chunks off the cliffs onto Lake Superior, outside of Duluth, early winter before new season started, before Christmas. Kids there do it all the time, going back 30+ years.
Or, maybe a beneficial end-result of Patrik Laine era was, Pionk was tired of dodging Laine lazers in practice and decided to learn how to and practice the old "lazer-bomb slap-shot"?

pionk watching laine in practice = shanahan watching brett hull in practice. then going, "ahh so this is how it's done."

Reactions: GumbyCan2

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

he's gonna make big $$$

Hopefully new core has success this season, as it "quarantine's along" and we can resign him for 8 x 6-mil$ per. Covid destruction may hopefully keep the "new contract $$ values" in line. Trouba and Wheels sure lucked out getting 8 & 8+ respectively! I doubt after whats all transpired affecting public gatherings that either would get close to these #'s again!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Trouba placed on injured lists ..... after 14 games 0 goals & 3 assists. (8 mill)

Pionk with 3 goals and 12 assist after 18 games...(3 mill)

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The Hermantown-UMD Jets blueline is gonna be fun to watch with Pionk and Samberg :naughty:

Reactions: boydkc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad