Trade: [NE/SF] Jimmy Garoppolo for 2018 2nd round pick

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I doubt it. Don’t see Kraft or Belichik wanting to put up with all the media attention.

Providing their new backup is dependable, I like it for the Pats. With the way Brady is playing there is no way they’d be keeping Jimmy G around and they get what amounts to a late first. Niners on the other hand get a half season to see if he’s the real deal and can try and tailor the offence to him. Save their top pick / cap space for someone else. I wouldn’t entirely rule out Cousins tho.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They just gave up a second rounder for a QBS in the draft. It looks like they’re going to go find their QB in the draft and now have less competition for the first QB.

There are Browns writers in absolute mourning over this. One guy in particular acts like Jimmy G is a sure fire Hall of Famer.
If you break it all down, this is how I see it.

Only way Jimmy and Brady are both Patriots next season was for Jimmy to accept a team friendly contract. But, that wasn't going to happen. Can Jimmy really believe Kraft, BB, Tom that next season would be Tom's final year? Jimmy is a free agent and he should force the Pats to franchise tag him at $22 million next season. Bridgewater and Tannehill both blew out their knees in practice, so you never now. And he could get hurt in pre-season next season. Plus, he's seen youngsters like Wentz, Goff, Dak, Watson step into starter roles, thus eating up starter opportunities.

Pats after seeing what is occurring with their DL, need to address it in the off-season and they can't afford to have $22 million sitting on the bench and $40 million tied up in QB's. Plus, the compensatory pick that they would get for Jimmy would be eliminated if they signed a high priced free agent this off-season.

So, BB decided to move him. Curious of the timing as they had the best backup in the league. As for sending him to SF, well, it will be less likely that Jimmy can haunt the Pats by sending him to the NFC where the rotation of schedule means that the Pats would next see SF in 2020. A team like Cleveland, depending on how Jimmy performs you for sure see him every 3 years and then could be more depending if they finish in the same position in their division as if you are the 1st place team, you play the other 2 conference 1st place teams as well, in addition to the other conf. division you have to play. Kind of like how the Pats and Colts played virtually every year during the Manning/Brady era.

If the Pats were ideally looking to send him to the NFC, then the other options would have been AZ, Wash, MIN, NO (if Brees does opt to leave in the off-season). Minny is like Seattle from a few years ago, building and retaining a top level D, but they don't have a Wilson at QB. Better offensive weapons at WR/TE. That's a team that should have stepped up with a 1st. NO, could have offered a 1st given that they are leading their division. Wash and AZ, with their records would have to go with both their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How much is the 2018 QB franchise tag projected to be?
Pretty high. It's the average of the top 5 players at the position and Carr signed in the off-season and Stafford earlier in the season. Throw in Luck, Rodgers, and Wilson's numbers and it will be higher than what Cousins made last season on the franchise tag.

According to Sportrac, Cousins was paid $19.953 million in 2016. So, I would expect it to be $22 million at least since Stafford signed for $27 million per and Carr at $25 million.

You can't go by Cousin's contract this year, even though it's on the franchise tag, as there are provisions in the CBA that bump up the number when you are franchised a second year. But, it will be a huge number. No way the Pats could afford both Brady and Jimmy. Can only be 1 of them.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
What Patriots backups have had the upside and draft pedigree similar to Garoppolo?
Cassel certainly had a better pro pedigree.
They just gave up a second rounder for a QBS in the draft. It looks like they’re going to go find their QB in the draft and now have less competition for the first QB.

There are Browns writers in absolute mourning over this. One guy in particular acts like Jimmy G is a sure fire Hall of Famer.
But you have Moneyball!

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
San Francisco's pick might be the top pick of the second round. Not sold he'll be anything outside New England but it's worth the gamble.

But New England still waited too long to deal Garoppolo. The only guy Belichick will never cut or part with is Brady.

However, the biggest loser still remains Cleveland. Passed on Wentz and Watson. Struck out on trading for Garoppolo. Only to see him go for only a second rounder.

Oh, they also passed on the right to draft Julio Jones. Only to land Justin Gilbert and the Weedman. Even when they did a good thing(landing a first round pick for Trent Richardson), they draft Johnny Manziel.

Cleveland rocks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
San Francisco's pick might be the top pick of the second round. Not sold he'll be anything outside New England but it's worth the gamble.

But New England still waited too long to deal Garoppolo. The only guy Belichick will never cut or part with is Brady.

However, the biggest loser still remains Cleveland. Passed on Wentz and Watson. Struck out on trading for Garoppolo. Only to see him go for only a second rounder.

Oh, they also passed on the right to draft Julio Jones. Only to land Justin Gilbert and the Weedman. Even when they did a good thing(landing a first round pick for Trent Richardson), they draft Johnny Manziel.

Cleveland rocks.
But, there is the benefit to the Patriots of sending Jimmy to the NFC rather than the AFC. Won't ever face him in the playoffs unless it's for the SuperBowl. Plus, they only play the NFC West once every 4 years. Next time in 2020, then 2024, 2028. By then Jimmy is what 36? And would be 40 in 2032.

Browns would play NE in 2019, 2022, 2025, 2028, 2031. Plus depending on where both teams finish in the standings in between all of these years, they could play each other in the regular season. 1st place plays 1st place, 2nd place plays 2nd, etc. Think Manning and Brady as both their teams won their respective divisions for virtually a decade.

So, taking less to send him to SF and get a 33-37 overall pick is a wise choice.

Just wondered what they were trying to pry out of AZ, NO, Min, Wash if they had called those teams? Maybe a 2 and 3 or in the case of Min/NO, their late 1st?

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Cassel certainly had a better pro pedigree.

Sure he played close to a full season but I would argue Garoppolo showed enough promise in his 2 starts last season as well as his superior college pedigree that there is no comparison between the two.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
kyle wanted either carr or jimmy back in '14 draft when he was clevelands OC iirc.

This year it was almost $24 million and then you have to account for Carr + Stafford raising the bar - IIRC when Stafford signed his mega deal I read the tag would have been $27-29 million.

the tag for cousins was 24M because he was already tagged once; the the 120% of previous salary rule applied there. stafford had a cap hit of 22M this year before he signed his extension. garoppolo makes pennies this year compared to those figures so he will get the average of the top5 for QBs. that's still going to be pretty high, maybe maybe 23-24M.

SF could use transition tag instead. no one is probably willing to offer more than them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
kyle wanted either carr or jimmy back in '14 draft when he was clevelands OC iirc.

the tag for cousins was 24M because he was already tagged once; the the 120% of previous salary rule applied there. stafford had a cap hit of 22M this year before he signed his extension. garoppolo makes pennies this year compared to those figures so he will get the average of the top5 for QBs. that's still going to be pretty high, maybe maybe 23-24M.

SF could use transition tag instead. no one is probably willing to offer more than them.
Most likely, it's going to be a Brock Osweiller type of contract. 4 years in the $75 million range, with $30 plus million guaranteed. He doesn't have the 47 starts that his fellow 2014 2nd round pick Carr had when he signed in the off season to warrant $25 million. So, $18-$19 million per based off at most 10 starts is pretty damn good.

I mean, Glennon got $15 million per from Chicago, with $18 million guaranteed. I doubt SF has to use the franchise tag on Jimmy. Big difference between playing for $22 million for 1 year and getting $75 odd million with half of that guaranteed like Brock did.

Feb 24, 2017
I doubt it. Don’t see Kraft or Belichik wanting to put up with all the media attention.

Providing their new backup is dependable, I like it for the Pats. With the way Brady is playing there is no way they’d be keeping Jimmy G around and they get what amounts to a late first. Niners on the other hand get a half season to see if he’s the real deal and can try and tailor the offence to him. Save their top pick / cap space for someone else. I wouldn’t entirely rule out Cousins tho.

No. It’s not a first.

Not early, not late. Not mid.

It’s a second.

On the positive side you just contributed to the “worst phrases on this site” thread.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Most likely, it's going to be a Brock Osweiller type of contract. 4 years in the $75 million range, with $30 plus million guaranteed. He doesn't have the 47 starts that his fellow 2014 2nd round pick Carr had when he signed in the off season to warrant $25 million. So, $18-$19 million per based off at most 10 starts is pretty damn good.

I mean, Glennon got $15 million per from Chicago, with $18 million guaranteed. I doubt SF has to use the franchise tag on Jimmy. Big difference between playing for $22 million for 1 year and getting $75 odd million with half of that guaranteed like Brock did.

yeah, he ain't getting carr deal no matter what. just doesn't have leverage. could see little bigger than brock deal, maybe around that 18-19M range with two of those years basically guaranteed.

don't think this will go to the tag either. kid is probably happy he finally gets a chance to start and it's a pretty good way to say 'we want you here' to trade a early 2nd for pending UFA with 5 quarters of experience.

Feb 24, 2017
But, there is the benefit to the Patriots of sending Jimmy to the NFC rather than the AFC. Won't ever face him in the playoffs unless it's for the SuperBowl. Plus, they only play the NFC West once every 4 years. Next time in 2020, then 2024, 2028. By then Jimmy is what 36? And would be 40 in 2032.

Browns would play NE in 2019, 2022, 2025, 2028, 2031. Plus depending on where both teams finish in the standings in between all of these years, they could play each other in the regular season. 1st place plays 1st place, 2nd place plays 2nd, etc. Think Manning and Brady as both their teams won their respective divisions for virtually a decade.

So, taking less to send him to SF and get a 33-37 overall pick is a wise choice.

Just wondered what they were trying to pry out of AZ, NO, Min, Wash if they had called those teams? Maybe a 2 and 3 or in the case of Min/NO, their late 1st?
No professional teams care about this. At least not nearly as much as you’re selling.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
yeah, he ain't getting carr deal no matter what. just doesn't have leverage. could see little bigger than brock deal, maybe around that 18-19M range with two of those years basically guaranteed.

don't think this will go to the tag either. kid is probably happy he finally gets a chance to start and it's a pretty good way to say 'we want you here' to trade a early 2nd for pending UFA with 5 quarters of experience.
Brock was $72 million over 4 with $37 million guaranteed.
So, could see maybe a few million more to the high $70's with up to $40 million guaranteed. Basically guaranteed the first 2 years and a small amount of the 3rd year. Leaves year 4 open so that if he does perform well, he will get an extension.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No professional teams care about this. At least not nearly as much as you’re selling.
It's just a thought, but I do find it surprising that they were only to secure between the #33 to #37 pick in the upcoming draft don't you?

Cleveland has multiple picks and could have matched the 49ers 2nd (both 0-8) and given up an additional 3rd for Jimmy. But, he only goes for a 2nd? I mean, outside of the Jets/bills/Dolphins being off the table since they are division rivals, all other teams should have been an option.

SF/Min/NO/Wash/AZ/ in the NFC and Den/Cle/Cin/Pit/Jax/ in the AFC. That's 10 teams they could have sent Jimmy. Not including Chargers and Giants who would have to eat like $12 to $14 million in dead cap space in 2018 to get rid of Rivers and Eli, but still possible for them to make the move.

Feb 24, 2017
It's just a thought, but I do find it surprising that they were only to secure between the #33 to #37 pick in the upcoming draft don't you?

Cleveland has multiple picks and could have matched the 49ers 2nd (both 0-8) and given up an additional 3rd for Jimmy. But, he only goes for a 2nd? I mean, outside of the Jets/bills/Dolphins being off the table since they are division rivals, all other teams should have been an option.

SF/Min/NO/Wash/AZ/ in the NFC and Den/Cle/Cin/Pit/Jax/ in the AFC. That's 10 teams they could have sent Jimmy. Not including Chargers and Giants who would have to eat like $12 to $14 million in dead cap space in 2018 to get rid of Rivers and Eli, but still possible for them to make the move.
See Gene Parmesan’s post. Billy Belly ain’t n’rrrrrrrrrr scurrrred.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So Pats misjudged market at draft and in offseason

Still salvaged decent value moving him now but why not keep Jacoby Brissett?

Surely they need to plan for future eventually , right?

As for this deal good for 49ers as I think Jimmy G has all the tools to be good #1

Browns come up losers again

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Forgot about Cousins getting b2b tags.

This what I pulled up from three separate articles.

Lions: Matthew Stafford is the other big quarterbacking name in a contract year, and by far the least likely guy on this list to change addresses. Detroit will get something done with him, but Stafford’s franchise number is high ($26.4 million), because his expiring deal has a big cap number for 2017. That, on paper, gives him the leverage to ask for close to $30 million per (2 tags = $58.08 million). Or he could give a little back there and ask for more cash to be guaranteed. Either way, he’s in a good spot.

Derek Carr signed a then-record five-year, $125 million extension with the Oakland Raiders in June, and after Washington's Kirk Cousins opted to play this season on the franchise tag a few weeks later, Stafford had the leverage to far outpace Carr's deal knowing the value of potential franchise tags in 2018-19 averaged out to more than $29 million per season.

Detroit would owe Stafford $26.4 million if it chose to franchise him next year,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad