Trade: [NE/SF] Jimmy Garoppolo for 2018 2nd round pick

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yea, Belichik should have moved him last off season for a better return but he wanted to keep him as an insurance policy incase Brady got hurt between pre season and the deadline. He knew he couldn't afford him so he got the best deal possible for a pending UFA. Jimmy G is doing great (as many thought he would) but people act like it was the worse trade of all time. Given the situation, its really not that bad.

They couldn't exactly just "move on" from the GOAT in the off season, especially with how well he played this year.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
pats should have traded brady instead of him when lynch asked on bradys availability. belichick the GM screwed up again.
I will say it again: The rumors out of Foxboro are that Belicheck intended on keeping Jimmy G (hence he made it through the off season & traded Jacoby) but that Brady got nervous the plan was to get rid of him in the off season and he went to Kraft; Kraft then pushed Belicheck to get rid of Jimmy to avoid any ugliness with Brady (who Kraft loves like a son).

Credence is lead to this by:

1. Jimmy G NOT being traded last season
2. Brisset being traded at the start of the season (hence, Jimmy was "kept")
3. Jimmy getting traded right before the deadline, for much less than what was reported in the off season and to a team/Coach that Belicheck likes.
4. Belicheck holding a press conference after the trade to talk glowingly about Jimmy G, his "back up" QB. Reminder: This is the same guy that traded seymour, vrabel, other "long term" Patriots he liked and he has NEVER had a press conference about them.
5. Seemingly bad blood bubbling up between Belicheck and Brady. See Brady's "health guru" being banned from traveling with the team & working on the sidelines now.

All of that said, they are both professionals and will be fine HOWEVER, it is relatively clear to me, based on the circumstantial evidence floating around the rumors, that they are true.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah if Brady was trending down there wouldn't be much wrong with dealing him, but he's still playing at such a high level that trading him would cause problems. Jimmy G would have had a ton of pressure to be the next Brady and the fan base would be calling for Tom's return if he didn't immediately play at an elite level, especially if Brady went somewhere else and was still the same Brady of the last 2 decades.

Coming to SF is probably the absolute best situation Jimmy G could have hoped for.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yea, Belichik should have moved him last off season for a better return but he wanted to keep him as an insurance policy incase Brady got hurt between pre season and the deadline. He knew he couldn't afford him so he got the best deal possible for a pending UFA. Jimmy G is doing great (as many thought he would) but people act like it was the worse trade of all time. Given the situation, its really not that bad.

They couldn't exactly just "move on" from the GOAT in the off season, especially with how well he played this year.
I don't think the criticism is as much that they chose to keep Tom vs Jimmy, it's more the return.

It will end up being pick #39/40 I believe for a starting QB that will help turn SF around.

No issue with keeping Jimmy until they could see how Tom was playing.

But to only get a 2nd rounder for him seems like they didn't get enough.
AZ needed a QB when Palmer went down. And likely needing a new starter as Palmer is 38 and nearing the end. They should have been a team that should have been all over Jimmy. Their #1 pick with their 8-8 season would be around #14/15.
Washington with their unwillingness to commit to Cousins should have put them in the mix as well. Cousins, IMO is in the ilk of an Alex Smith/Andy Dalton. Competent starter, but not a guy who can elevate a team. Needs lots of supporting help. They ended at 7-9.
Minny - they are a top level team now, so makes no sense for the Patriots to send Jimmy there to bolster their offence.
SF, if you deal him to SF, why couldn't they get extra picks? Like another 2nd or a 3rd as well?

Can understand NE not trading Jimmy to the AFC as you can end up playing him in a playoff matchup, so despite teams like Cleveland, Buffalo, Jets, Bengals, Jaguars, Broncos needing a QB, probably not going to deal him within conference.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well
Has this been confirmed? I’ve seen mixed messages from Browns writers.
Well, if you think about it, doesn't matter if Jimmy doesn't want to sign long term with Cleveland as they have the right to franchise tag him if they want to thus he has no where to go. And like cousins, browns can do it a couple of times.

NFL players want the security of the guaranteed money of a long term deal. Thus, Jimmy would have almost no choice but to sign in Cleveland. Seen the likes of Watson, Tannehill, Bridgewater tear their ACL in practice.

So, yes, u can say that BB did Jimmy a solid by not sending him to Cleveland.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think the criticism is as much that they chose to keep Tom vs Jimmy, it's more the return.

It will end up being pick #39/40 I believe for a starting QB that will help turn SF around.

No issue with keeping Jimmy until they could see how Tom was playing.

But to only get a 2nd rounder for him seems like they didn't get enough.
AZ needed a QB when Palmer went down. And likely needing a new starter as Palmer is 38 and nearing the end. They should have been a team that should have been all over Jimmy. Their #1 pick with their 8-8 season would be around #14/15.
Washington with their unwillingness to commit to Cousins should have put them in the mix as well. Cousins, IMO is in the ilk of an Alex Smith/Andy Dalton. Competent starter, but not a guy who can elevate a team. Needs lots of supporting help. They ended at 7-9.
Minny - they are a top level team now, so makes no sense for the Patriots to send Jimmy there to bolster their offence.
SF, if you deal him to SF, why couldn't they get extra picks? Like another 2nd or a 3rd as well?

Can understand NE not trading Jimmy to the AFC as you can end up playing him in a playoff matchup, so despite teams like Cleveland, Buffalo, Jets, Bengals, Jaguars, Broncos needing a QB, probably not going to deal him within conference.

I don't think the Cardinals would trade their first pick in a year they were going to miss their QB and star RB. And Keim doesn't strike me as a guy who would trade high picks for a QB, hell he got Palmer for a 6th. He may just go the Jags route with a strong defence and star RB.

Washington is obviously happy with Cousins and I don't think they ever entertained the idea of trading for another QB.

I think Lynch/SF knew they had the only offer on the table for him and that's why NE just got a 2nd. Belichick could have traded him for more picks at the draft but wasn't ready to do that then (reasonably enough). Knowing him that 2nd round pick is going to turn into a top 5 LB anyway :laugh:

Well

Well, if you think about it, doesn't matter if Jimmy doesn't want to sign long term with Cleveland as they have the right to franchise tag him if they want to thus he has no where to go. And like cousins, browns can do it a couple of times.

NFL players want the security of the guaranteed money of a long term deal. Thus, Jimmy would have almost no choice but to sign in Cleveland. Seen the likes of Watson, Tannehill, Bridgewater tear their ACL in practice.

So, yes, u can say that BB did Jimmy a solid by not sending him to Cleveland.

I don't think Garoppolo would be all that against staying in Cleveland. He's already got two championships and if they are willing to pay him, why not stay? Try and turn the franchise around. He'd easily be the best QB they have ever had.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I will say it again: The rumors out of Foxboro are that Belicheck intended on keeping Jimmy G (hence he made it through the off season & traded Jacoby) but that Brady got nervous the plan was to get rid of him in the off season and he went to Kraft; Kraft then pushed Belicheck to get rid of Jimmy to avoid any ugliness with Brady (who Kraft loves like a son).

Credence is lead to this by:

1. Jimmy G NOT being traded last season
2. Brisset being traded at the start of the season (hence, Jimmy was "kept")
3. Jimmy getting traded right before the deadline, for much less than what was reported in the off season and to a team/Coach that Belicheck likes.
4. Belicheck holding a press conference after the trade to talk glowingly about Jimmy G, his "back up" QB. Reminder: This is the same guy that traded seymour, vrabel, other "long term" Patriots he liked and he has NEVER had a press conference about them.
5. Seemingly bad blood bubbling up between Belicheck and Brady. See Brady's "health guru" being banned from traveling with the team & working on the sidelines now.

All of that said, they are both professionals and will be fine HOWEVER, it is relatively clear to me, based on the circumstantial evidence floating around the rumors, that they are true.

I think you are right to some degree but I don't think Brady found out about BB going to trade him in the off season. I think it was that, as much as BB has autonomy to do whatever he likes when it comes to making personnel moves, that even something as bold as trading Brady playing at an MVP level would be something that would have to passed off on by Kraft and that was a move that simply he couldn't or wouldn't let happen. Brady was not going to ever play for another franchise.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think the Cardinals would trade their first pick in a year they were going to miss their QB and star RB. And Keim doesn't strike me as a guy who would trade high picks for a QB, hell he got Palmer for a 6th. He may just go the Jags route with a strong defence and star RB.

Washington is obviously happy with Cousins and I don't think they ever entertained the idea of trading for another QB.

I think Lynch/SF knew they had the only offer on the table for him and that's why NE just got a 2nd. Belichick could have traded him for more picks at the draft but wasn't ready to do that then (reasonably enough). Knowing him that 2nd round pick is going to turn into a top 5 LB anyway :laugh:

I don't think Garoppolo would be all that against staying in Cleveland. He's already got two championships and if they are willing to pay him, why not stay? Try and turn the franchise around. He'd easily be the best QB they have ever had.
AZ would need to replace Palmer anyways, and doubt whomever they get with their top pick will match what Jimmy can do for them immediately. Thats why i think it made sense forward them to move their #1 which would be in the teens for him. Going the jags route, means that you have a short window, as when your top D guys come off rookie deals they will be hard to keep together long term. See Denver and Seattle now.

Washington don't think Washington management loves cousins, but not sure they can do better unless they opt to make a move. Think Jimmy is an upgrade. He doesn't seem like he'll make the mistakes that cousins seems price to making.

Maybe SF did think that they had the advantage given that they were he works of the NFC teams looking for a QB. Would take them longer to get good and contend. Great job by Lynch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->