GDT: NDF: GAME ONE - 05/02 - Wild @ Blackhawks - 8:30 PM CT - 4:30 AM FIN - TSN, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
There is no arguing Yeo's decision to start Bryzgalov.. Curry would have been lit up like a Christmas tree.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Calm down, step back from the ledge.

I criticized him there because he made a really stupid decision, and one that was completely predictable because it has burned him consistently in the past. It's an aspect of the game he has always really struggled with.

I didn't say he should be fired over it or that he's a terrible coach. Just that he ****ed that one up and needs to get better at choosing when to pull the goalie.

If they don't score there then nobody cares, it's a gamble every time. Everything bounced the hawks way tonight. This is going the distance.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Kane's 3rd goal.

sYIUPb.jpg

Looks offside to me.

I think you can go over the blueline skates first, as an individual player. If there's nobody else in the offside.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Similar score, much better effort from the Wild than last year's Chicago-Minnesota series. The team came back from two goals down and showed that this group can play with the defending champs in the postseason. D was shaky at times. Bryzgalov was just average. For the most part, everyone played their role. Despite getting the bad side of Patrick Kane, the Wild looked like a team that belonged and can fight in a 7 game series.

Sky isn't falling, but there are clouds.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
A high school goalie does not stop that backhand by Kane.

Nobody stops that backhand on Kane.

And as for people saying we're hating on Yeo...I'm not hating on Yeo. I think he had us spectacularly prepared for this game considering the less than 48 hour turnaround.

What I am hating, and what we all continue to hate, are the deficiencies in the ****ing special teams. Our powerplay is hot garbage, our PK gave up two goals, and he still can not pull the goalie properly to save his life.

EVEN WITH THAT, we lost because of a backhand that goes where it needs to go 1 time out of 10, and when it goes there you simply can not stop it, and then a real big defensive gaffe leaving Kane all alone on the wide open back door.

Bryz played good. Not a brick wall or anything, but hardly deficient. The defense and special teams in front of him continue to **** him over.

And like I keep saying, I'M NOT WORRIED. This is game 1, and we hung with them and outplayed them up until Kane put in his two goals. We take what we learned and we come back even better in game 2 and we bring this series home to St. Paul tied 1-1.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Just compare Bryz and Kuemper's sv%. They are playing behind the same team. Kuemper makes atleast one of those goal saves look easy because of sound positioning.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
This except the bad goaltending. Nothing Bryz has let in could realistically be considered a softie.

I'm not worried. We can play with these *******s, we've shown that this game. The only things we need are to hit the net more and get the god damned PK solidified again. And cover the ****ing back door.
Agreed. Sure up coverage.

We have to stick with it and then some.

Our goalies... Bryz is honestly the best option atm.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
And that backhander lol. All Bryz had to do was stand firm next to the post because Kane's angle was so small. BUT noooooooooooooo he chose to drop on his knees. smh.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
If they don't score there then nobody cares, it's a gamble every time. Everything bounced the hawks way tonight. This is going the distance.

There's nothing wrong with making the gamble, but you have to choose the right time. This wasn't about bounces. You need to establish possession deep in the offensive zone and slow things down first, because if you pull on a weak rush through the neutral zone like Yeo tends to, you're almost certain to give one up very quickly and instantly ruin your chances of getting back in the game.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think you can go over the blueline skates first, as an individual player. If there's nobody else in the offside.

Ever read the actual offsides rule? Reads like a bunch of doublespeak. They ought to fix that and make it clearer.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP

And as for people saying we're hating on Yeo...I'm not hating on Yeo. I think he had us spectacularly prepared for this game considering the less than 48 hour turnaround.

What I am hating, and what we all continue to hate, are the deficiencies in the ****ing special teams. Our powerplay is hot garbage, our PK gave up two goals, and he still can not pull the goalie properly to save his life.

EVEN WITH THAT, we lost because of a backhand that goes where it needs to go 1 time out of 10, and when it goes there you simply can not stop it, and then a real big defensive gaffe leaving Kane all alone on the wide open back door.

Bryz played good. Not a brick wall or anything, but hardly deficient. The defense and special teams in front of him continue to **** him over.

And like I keep saying, I'M NOT WORRIED. This is game 1, and we hung with them and outplayed them up until Kane put in his two goals. We take what we learned and we come back even better in game 2 and we bring this series home to St. Paul tied 1-1.
Preach it.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
That's weird, I've seen a player go backwards into the zone with possession called offside so many times before.

The only time they will call something like that offside is because the player is gaining control of the puck while being offside. Need to be in control before crossing the line.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
One of the worst performances by Brodin that I can remember.Pominville has not looked sharp all playoffs as well,he really needs to step it up.Shooting needs to be better and you can't give them power plays cause they will capitalize on them.Other than that they hung with them pretty well and were still in it until the 4th goal.Stoner played well tonight.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

The real Avder is back! :laugh:

Alright, maybe a wrong choice of words saying that you guys were hating on Yeo. I just don't want to start criticizing him now. This game was on the players. Maybe he shouldn't have pulled a Roy, but it is what it is. With the way that we were shooting and unable to finish we wouldn't have tied it up anyway.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
That's weird, I've seen a player go backwards into the zone with possession called offside so many times before.

"A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leadingedge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick. However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line."

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26497

The only time they will call something like that offside is because the player is gaining control of the puck while being offside. Need to be in control before crossing the line.

Yes, as you said the puck control is the key.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I thought the Wild deserved a better fate in this game, but you can't win when you have goaltending like that. Hopefully Kuemper comes back next game and gets a win for us.

I honestly did not think Crawfish is that great of a goaltender. He's just big, and is a perfect example of why the nets need to be made a tad bigger. That's another story though.

I really think the Wild miss Cooke right now. The birdy defensemen are too comfortable, and don't have their heads on a swivel like they do when he's out there playing.

The birds look very beatable right now. The Wild just have to execute.

J22*

A high school goalie does not stop that backhand by Kane.

Watch it again and look at Bryzgalovs positioning. He is on one knee, leaning to the center of the ice and has his glove about a foot outside of his post. Watch were the puck hits the net, it hits the middle of the top of the net which means it was probably close to a foot inside the post and under the bar. All Bryz has to do is hug his shoulder to the post and there is nowhere for the puck to go from that angle.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
"A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leadingedge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick. However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,†provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line."

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26497

I'm well aware of the rule, you don't need to quote it here.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Bryz gave us a chance to win this game. You could see when we just fell apart after that stupid backhand.

By the by, Brodin needs to put on some ****ing muscle this ******* summer. I love the kid and he has an unreal ceiling, but he needs to step up after this year. He still gets knocked off the puck way too much and if he can't push that little prig Kane off the puck, well.... Dude better hit the gym is all I'm sayin'.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
There's nothing wrong with making the gamble, but you have to choose the right time. This wasn't about bounces. You need to establish possession deep in the offensive zone and slow things down first, because if you pull on a weak rush through the neutral zone like Yeo tends to, you're almost certain to give one up very quickly and instantly ruin your chances of getting back in the game.

But the game was over when Kane got that gift on his stick for the 4th goal. Lucky bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad