OT: NCAA Thread v9

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

They still recruit at a top 25 level even with their disadvantages in territorial recruiting. So they should be better than what they have been in the last decade or so.

But the gap is so large at the top. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, etc. pretty much gobble up a lot of the top 100 recruits in the country every cycle. With all the technology, camps, verifiable measurements, etc. these coaches can make better bets on prospects than they once did. But obviously it’s not an exact science & some of these top 100 guys flop but with roster turnover moving so quickly now. These teams aren’t married to those busts like they used to & they’re just recruited over in a year or so by another top 100 player.

There’s historical programs that are better off than Nebraska by a considerable margin that even themselves have no shot at competing for a national title.

Last edited:

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
They really need a QB. Adrian Martinez is a 4 year starter and I can't remember one game of his where he stood out in a positive way.

Reactions: renberg

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

They still recruit at a top 25 level even with their disadvantages in territorial recruiting. So they should be better than what they have been in the last decade or so.

But the gap is so large at the top. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, etc. pretty much gobble up a lot of the top 100 recruits in the country every cycle. With all the technology, camps, verifiable measurements, etc. these coaches can make better bets on prospects than they once did. But obviously it’s not an exact science & some of these top 100 guys flop but with roster turnover moving so quickly now. These teams are married to those busts like they used to & their just recruited over in a year or so by another top 100 player.

There’s historical programs that are better off than Nebraska by a considerable margin that even themselves have no shot at competing for a national title.

Real profound observation there by Colin there.

I think you and I have talked about it in the past, but there's only like 5 or 6 programs with a legitimate shot at a national championship anymore, unless you get a one-off Burrow situation. And the portal didn't help the pack get closer to that top group. It's going to eventually turn into an advantage for the Alabama/Ohio State/Clemsons of the world. They'll hand pick high end gap fillers looking to increase draft status and the rest of the NCAA will battle it out over the tier two transfers.

Nebraska is one of those former blue blood programs with no shot in hell at the playoff. I'd put seriously money on them not evening playing in a conference championship game anytime in the next decade.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Nebraska had the higher win expectancy rating in that game. Not exactly an accomplishment against Illinois, but they've been unlucky in one score games.

This weeks scores

1. Asnito 26
2. @FLYguy3911 21
3. @gertbfrobe16 21
4. @Cody Webster 18
5. @WeHaveBeenFletched 17
6. @renberg 17
7. @dragonoffrost 15
8. @Hollywood Couturier 15
9. @Captain Dave Poulin 8
10. @LegionOfDoom91 6

This is obviously the total scores as well.

This feels like the high-water mark for me.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Real profound observation there by Colin there.

I think you and I have talked about it in the past, but there's only like 5 or 6 programs with a legitimate shot at a national championship anymore, unless you get a one-off Burrow situation. And the portal didn't help the pack get closer to that top group. It's going to eventually turn into an advantage for the Alabama/Ohio State/Clemsons of the world. They'll hand pick high end gap fillers looking to increase draft status and the rest of the NCAA will battle it out over the tier two transfers.

Nebraska is one of those former blue blood programs with no shot in hell at the playoff. I'd put seriously money on them not evening playing in a conference championship game anytime in the next decade.

Yeah I would say even in recent years with teams like Georgia, Oklahoma, & Notre Dame that have made the playoffs there noticeable differences between them & the others. Oklahoma has had the top flight QB’s but issues on the defensive side of the ball. Georgia & Notre Dame really haven’t had the QB’s to matchup with the Lawerence, Tua, Fields, etc. of the world. Georgia obliviously had the best shot of the bunch but that essentially went down the drain when Bama switched to Tua in the NCG.

It’s hard to beat teams that are loaded with talent in almost every position as well as at the QB position. That’s essentially what Alabama & Clemson have been (Ohio State really bridged the gap with Fields).

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Nebraska had the higher win expectancy rating in that game. Not exactly an accomplishment against Illinois, but they've been unlucky in one score games.

This feels like the high-water mark for me.
They were down 21 in the second half. To me it really comes down to the QB play. Martinez missed so many open receivers in the first half that they should have been up by at least 17 at halftime. With a good QB I think they're a 10 win team.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They were down 21 in the second half. To me it really comes down to the QB play. Martinez missed so many open receivers in the first half that they should have been up by at least 17 at halftime. With a good QB I think they're a 10 win team.
He's not a great passer and he missed throws, but he's too good of a runner not to have a better than mediocre offense they've had of late. They were one of the least explosive offenses in the country last year.

Reactions: Asnito

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
He's not a great passer and he missed throws, but he's too good of a runner not to have a better than mediocre offense they've had of late. They were one of the least explosive offenses in the country last year.
He's an excellent runner and that 75 yard run he had was impressive. I just think if they had a guy that could hurt you downfield that would open up the running game and help their offense immensely.

Frost is probably yelling at the sky every night for leaving UCF as the recruits available to at UCF is probably/definitely better than at Nebraska.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's an excellent runner and that 75 yard run he had was impressive. I just think if they had a guy that could hurt you downfield that would open up the running game and help their offense immensely.

Frost is probably yelling at the sky every night for leaving UCF as the recruits available to at UCF is probably/definitely better than at Nebraska.
Put another way:

upload_2021-8-29_16-41-42.png

He was very accurate last year, but they never threw the ball downfield and as a result there were no YAC yards or big plays. My read: conservative offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asnito

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Put another way:

View attachment 462960

He was very accurate last year, but they never threw the ball downfield and as a result their were no YAC yards or big plays. My read: conservative offense.
UCF ran a super fast up tempo spread offense under Frost. B1G is obviously a different animal but why do a complete 180 from what got you there? He's had 4 years to bring his type of player in.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Wanted to get this out early as there is a big slate of games

@Cody Webster @Captain Dave Poulin @WeHaveBeenFletched @renberg @dragonoffrost @LegionOfDoom91 @Hollywood Couturier @FLYguy3911 @gertbfrobe16

Games of the week

1. Boise State @ UCF (Thurs)
2. UNC @ VA Tech (Fri)
3. Michigan State @ Northwestern (Fri)
4. PSU @ Wisconsin
5. Stanford @ K State
6. Fresno State @ Oregon gotta through the dog a 'cookie'
7. Bama vs Miami (Neutral Site)
8. Indiana @ Iowa
9. WVU @ Maryland
10. Louisiana @ Texas
11. TTU vs Houston (Neutral Site but is in Houston)
12. UGA vs Clemson (Neutral Site)
13. LSU @ UCLA
14. BYU @ Arizona
15. Notre Dame @ FSU (Sun)
16. Louisville vs Ole Miss (Mon) (Neutral Site)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

@Hollywood Couturier

It’s getting worse.

The school never has existed. The roster was made up of like 20+ year old JUCO drop outs. The apparent head coach has an active arrest warrant out of him.

They apparently conned a bunch of premier high school football teams around the country to schedule them. Saint Frances Academy & Dematha Catholic are listed on their Max Preps schedule. They’re two power house programs in the DMV. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad