NCAA thread v6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Dabo could kill a guy in broad day light & it probably wouldn’t effect him really much at all at this point.

The media tries to go after him but it doesn’t really land in the long run given his on the field success.
Everyone loves to talk about Saban's suppression of the local media in T-Town, but Dabo reigns over the entire state of South Carolina. These small schools in the middle of nowhere insulate themselves incredibly well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Everyone loves to talk about Saban's suppression of the local media in T-Town, but Dabo reigns over the entire state of South Carolina. These small schools in the middle of nowhere insulate themselves incredibly well.

Saban’s that grumpy old man Belicheck type. He gets snappy & pissed off with the media when the ask him football questions for the most part.

But he has the wherewithal to have that like politician’s filter when it comes to serious stuff like this. He knows how to say generic politically correct things in these situations that keeps heat off him in all directions.

Dabo’s like Trump & shoots from the hip during these situations with a southern Christian white guy point of view.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The last time I really remember Saban getting any heat was years ago when he took on that kid that was booted from like Georgia (or some other SEC school?) for something serious & the kid then committed the same crime again at Alabama (like sexual assault or physical assault of a women?).

Finebaum got into a shouting match with him over it at SEC media days but it pretty much died out once the news cycle moved on to their next story.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ricky Slade apparently is transferring to Old Dominion.

He was probably overrated coming out high school but still think he’s a P5 talent (not like top schools but mid to low level certainly) even though it didn’t work out at Penn State (he got lost in a deep shuffle).

I guess the shutdown possibly hurt his chances of seeing other schools & familiarity with the coaching staff helped there all coming from Penn State.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Ricky Slade apparently is transferring to Old Dominion.

He was probably overrated coming out high school but still think he’s a P5 talent (not like top schools but mid to low level certainly) even though it didn’t work out at Penn State (he got lost in a deep shuffle).

I guess the shutdown possibly hurt his chances of seeing other schools & familiarity with the coaching staff helped there all coming from Penn State.
He probably wants to go somewhere where he can be a bell cow back which is a rarity in the P5 these days.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He probably wants to go somewhere where he can be a bell cow back which is a rarity in the P5 these days.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing though. I just think for Slade & even Sanders earlier in his career it hurt them two that they had fumbling issues as depth backs. Obviously Sanders junior year they just dealt with the fumbles as Brown wasn’t ready to go at that point & Slade as a freshmen had the same fumbling issues. So their touches got hurt.

You saw last year even with a talented deep room of Brown, Cain, & Ford especially the last two could hold onto the ball. So they never lost touches because of that like Sanders & Slade did.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing though. I just think for Slade & even Sanders earlier in his career it hurt them two that they had fumbling issues as depth backs. Obviously Sanders junior year they just dealt with the fumbles as Brown wasn’t ready to go at that point & Slade as a freshmen had the same fumbling issues. So their touches got hurt.

You saw last year even with a talented deep room of Brown, Cain, & Ford especially the last two could hold onto the ball. So they never lost touches because of that like Sanders & Slade did.
Yes, definitely. From a Penn State perspective, having someone like Slade buried on the depth chart shows how strong you are at the position. It’s a good problem to have.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
@LegionOfDoom91 What's Jayson Oweh's rep? Athlete with no idea what he's doing yet or has he flashed? I saw this today and did a full-on double take:

Penn St has a pretty solid rep of not inflating testing numbers as much as other programs too.

He was a basketball player. He made the switch to football like his would be senior year. He was starting to get attention so he reclassified another year. He then blew up.

He’s pound for pound the best athlete at Penn State. I think that crazy 40 number came when he first got to campus & was at like 240 lbs. something though. But even then he should be a 4.4 something guy at 255-260 lbs.

But yeah he’s essentially just a speed rusher to this point. He can obviously win with it already even though he’s still learning how to exactly play football.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018

chipkellytongue.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He was a basketball player. He made the switch to football like his would be senior year. He was starting to get attention so he reclassified another year. He then blew up.

He’s pound for pound the best athlete at Penn State. I think that crazy 40 number came when he first got to campus & was at like 240 lbs. something though. But even then he should be a 4.4 something guy at 255-260 lbs.

But yeah he’s essentially just a speed rusher to this point. He can obviously win with it already even though he’s still learning how to exactly play football.

I should add his 2019 Michigan State game has been his best game tape to this point. I think PFF had him graded out as one the highest pass rushing grades for a game since they been doing it (so like 2014 or whatever when they started grading college). It was like high 90’s. He had two sacks & two forced fumbles (one recovered by Penn State) in the traditional box score.

He’s old for his grade but in the general sense he’s still relatively young. He’ll be 22 by the draft next year if he were to come out. So probably still a bit more physical development.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Mariota & Manziel have longer track records but Burrow & Newton have the higher peaks.

I don’t think Burrow was particularly that good prior to his 5th year. His 4th year where he was a starter he was pretty average. Newton obviously got in trouble but even without that he was never going to start over Tebow at Florida anyway. So he still would have been just looking at one year.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you want to vote on strictly peak, as historic as Newton's 2010 was, Burrow just obliterated it. You'd have to go into the "did more with less" angle, which is not an approach I would favor.

If you want to prioritize longevity, you have to go Mariota. I would also accept Watson as a reasonable answer over Manziel.

As good as Netwon and Manziel were, I don't see arguments for them that don't apply better to someone else.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If you want to vote on strictly peak, as historic as Newton's 2010 was, Burrow just obliterated it. You'd have to go into the "did more with less" angle, which is not an approach I would favor.

If you want to prioritize longevity, you have to go Mariota. I would also accept Watson as a reasonable answer over Manziel.

As good as Netwon and Manziel were, I don't see arguments for them that don't apply better to someone else.

Different times even though it might not seem like too long ago. But it’s crazy how a highly touted prospect like Newton would even pick Florida with Tebow there & stick it out there as long as he did. He obviously got booted but he probably wouldn’t have started until his fourth year anyway in 2010 even if stayed at Florida once Tebow graduated.

Crazy how much the QB dynamics have changed since then.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad