NCAA off-season stuff

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Oh yeah, please note I did say "more likely". I think if it does happen it will be because of some notion of a cooling down period after a fall second wave, and the universities, networks, and NCAA will be looking at their red line budgets and try to scrape together anything to generate revenue.

I also think it is possible that the SEC or some Big 12 or ACC schools go rogue and decide to have football anyway, and that it presents a serious challenge to conference and NCAA power.

The NCAA has no power. The NCAA basically is the Power 5. But the lack of leadership on this front is going to crush them.

The P5 should be getting together in a (Zoom) room with ESPN, CBS, NBC, their bowl partners and CFP reps and start planning on an abridged spring season NOW because there's no reason to think anything is going to change by August when we're still getting worse and not better.

MLB was in that boat: "What are we going to do? Could we do this? Could we do that? No, how would this aspect work?" for MONTHS when if they had just said "Let's make a fully functional quarantine plan. How do we do pull THAT off the best we can?" They'd have a lackluster safe plan that could be implemented and made better and better as the season progressed, while playing games on TV.

These schools can't afford to not play college football. That's where their money comes from. (Half can't really afford college football BEFORE the pandemic). But planning on a spring season with ticket sales NOW, at least gives you something to work on and might lead to salvaging something; sitting and waiting for things to get better by August is just a terrible bet.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I was going to say, "Wouldn't Lloyd Carr be the Big 10 coach of the 90's?" but then I remembered he got the Michigan job in 1995.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone who thinks they’re getting drafted in the 1st round should opt out

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If I were to guess, there will be no bowls other than NY6

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA