College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I’m not sure I would go so far as “totally outclassed”, but they were the better team for sure. I was hoping all along that UMass’ lack of playoff experience didn’t hurt them. Last night I think you saw the difference between a team that had been through this before and one who had not.

UMD executed their game plan and UMass did not, end of story.

That’s generous. The #1 PP in college hockey couldn’t even generate one decent chance across 4 or 5 tries. Umd goalie got a shutout without breaking a sweat or being challenged.

That said extremely good season for Umass and plenty returns it’s not a 1 off run. Honestly it’s hard to make the finals in a single elimination format a defending champ who makes it back to the title game isn’t going to lose.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Pritchard was very good this year for UMass in all three zones and had the rep as a leader. These kids signing NHL deals is going to do nothing but benefit the UMass program and should help them in their goal to remain an upper echelon program.

That said, Pritchard is 24, was a grad student transfer that followed Carvel from St Lawrence and put up very pedestrian numbers when he was there.

Can he find success as a pro? Who knows? I would say he is a long shot, but I saw a lot of Conor Sheary at UMass (liked him), and never saw him as an NHL player either.

So, what do I know.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I don’t get to see much of UMD, but after watching them several times over the last few weeks, I wasn’t super impressed with Tufte, particularly when you consider he was a 1st round pick.
Some of these kids should stay in school another year, JFK definitely should have but GMs get antcy and can't help themselves

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Weird move to go the transfer route rather than the usual move to the CHL (in his case QMJHL). I guess the thinking is that he'd only be there for 1 year, and he wouldn't be ready for the AHL after that, so better to play in the BCHL for a year, and then maybe a couple more in the NCAA.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Weird move to go the transfer route rather than the usual move to the CHL (in his case QMJHL). I guess the thinking is that he'd only be there for 1 year, and he wouldn't be ready for the AHL after that, so better to play in the BCHL for a year, and then maybe a couple more in the NCAA.

Not all that weird.

Zech went from the USHL to the BCHL not that long ago (and then to college), and I believe Dom explained the possible benefits (which now escape me lol).

I believe he has to sit out a year under the transfer rules? Can he put his paperwork in, play in the BCHL, and then play for whatever college he transfers to, or does he have to be enrolled for a year?

Maybe college just isn’t for him?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Not all that weird.

Zech went from the USHL to the BCHL not that long ago (and then to college), and I believe Dom explained the possible benefits (which now escape me lol).

I believe he has to sit out a year under the transfer rules? Can he put his paperwork in, play in the BCHL, and then play for whatever college he transfers to, or does he have to be enrolled for a year?

First thing I usually think of is poor grades but he's headed to the BCHL which means he wants to go back,just not to Providence

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Not all that weird.

I guess I just meant that most top prospects who leave college go the CHL route. There aren't that many of them who transfer to another college, probably because of the 1 year out rule, which I'm personally not a fan of.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I guess I just meant that most top prospects who leave college go the CHL route. There aren't that many of them who transfer to another college, probably because of the 1 year out rule, which I'm personally not a fan of.

That’s true.

I am sure there are others, but the only one I remember off the top of my head is Vatrano because he transferred to UMass.

Edit: There was the goalie that went from UMass to Lowell also. Boyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad