College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Great time at the UMass game today. Partisan crowd and the boys came to play. Most impressive was the number of times they kept the puck in the offensive zone on what looked like easy Harvard clears. Forecheck was tremendous tonight, as was the pace they maintained for 60 minutes. Can't wait to bring my son tomorrow night, and Gawd I HATE NOTRE DAME! Also, #16 AIC just beat #1 St. Cloud St., with their Toilet Bowl CH logo. A UMass/AIC all 413 Frozen Four matchup would be nuts.

Reactions: Kate08

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-3-29_22-19-40.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Amazing story. Take a look at their roster. Kids from Latvia, Norway, Ukraine, Florida, California and a kid from the UNLV club team. Swedish goalie was unbelievable. They go to final eight on a DIII budget while BC and BU sit at home. Wow.

AIC had a major upgrade when they signed a deal to play at Mass Mutual Arena

AIC-Hockey-796.jpg

Reactions: Friar85

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
AIC had a major upgrade when they signed a deal to play at Mass Mutual Arena

AIC-Hockey-796.jpg
I`m not close to being knowledgeable enough to enter into the discussion of NCAA hockey without having much access to it but typically I have, at the very least, heard of a particular College, never heard of this one

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wow!

That's a hell of an upset.

I think the NCAA needs to take a hard look at the existing pairwise formula.

Atlantic Hockey has been considered a joke by many and should not get an automatic bid. However 3 times in the last five years the Atlantic champion has been seeded #16 and then goes out and beats the #1 seed.

Many of the players in the Atlantic were ignored by the bigger Division 1 schools and they have a chip on their shoulder. Bentley has tried to get games with BC, BU and Harvard but the reality is those programs don't want the risk involved in playing them regularly. Bentley has a wonderful new on-campus arena

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I don't have anything against Providence, but I'm glad they're down early. If your seeding system allows a bottom seed to play at home, then the system is broken. Going back to 2015, I'll stand by my belief that they only won it all because they got to play at home.

I understand why they do it and attendance would be awful if they didn't, but you're punishing teams that played better all season.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
I don't have anything against Providence, but I'm glad they're down early. If your seeding system allows a bottom seed to play at home, then the system is broken. Going back to 2015, I'll stand by my belief that they only won it all because they got to play at home.

I understand why they do it and attendance would be awful if they didn't, but you're punishing teams that played better all season.
It’s an advantage but not a huge one I think. No travel and more fans. But they are not playing at their home rink and they aren’t allowed to stay in their dorms. Of course, I am a bit biased.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It’s an advantage but not a huge one I think. No travel and more fans. But they are not playing at their home rink and they aren’t allowed to stay in their dorms. Of course, I am a bit biased.

Minnesota State will grumble all the way home but as the #3 seed they had to come east as St Cloud and Duluth were ahead of them.

I think Harvard and Providence should have been flipped but ticket sales at the regionals are always a factor.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I don't watch a lot of college hockey, but went to the three games in Manchester this weekend, and wow is UMass on another level compared to the other three teams playing there. Their zone coverage is stifling, both teams could barely get shots off. And I thought Makar, who I hadn't heard of before, was incredible.

Glad i went, definitely made me a bigger college hockey fan!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I`m not close to being knowledgeable enough to enter into the discussion of NCAA hockey without having much access to it but typically I have, at the very least, heard of a particular College, never heard of this one

AIC has had a program for many years. They were very good when I was growing up in the 70’s and then again for portions of the 80’s and 90’s. They were pretty bad for a couple of decades until current coach Eric Lang took over. The campus is in a bad section of Springfield, but hopefully their upset of St Cloud will help the program maintain a level of success.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
AIC has had a program for many years. They were very good when I was growing up in the 70’s and then again for portions of the 80’s and 90’s. They were pretty bad for a couple of decades until current coach Eric Lang took over. The campus is in a bad section of Springfield, but hopefully their upset of St Cloud will help the program maintain a level of success.

Denver ended AIC's cinderella bid

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why would people “slouch” on Quinnipiac when they were in the Top 5 for much of the season and finished the year at 8...ahead of Arizona State, who they should have beaten?
QU hasn't really been a regional, much less national power program, though..... is it really the 1st hockey school you think of regionally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad