NCAA Hockey Thread

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You have to look at the pairwise rankings. It is formula-based. There is no objectivity to it:

I didnt realize that, but it still seems to favor big schools because the bigger schools are in a better position to effect schedule, and given RPI is a massive factor in that rankings schedule.......well, you can see how that could play out.

then you have to love the auto bid out of the Atlantic!!!

Yet HockeyEast, perhaps the toughest in hockey doesnt get an automatic bid - how does that make any sense?

UMASS-Lowell makes the final of HockeyEast, and sits at home because they're the 17th ranked team in a 16 team tournament, and 38 ranked RIT advances. Ridiculous.

Vermont took 2 of 3 from Boston College in the playoffs, has about the same record, and is only ranked .0100 behind BC in RPI, but BC makes it ranked 11th versus UVM at 20th. Seems too dramatic a difference IMO.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I didnt realize that, but it still seems to favor big schools because the bigger schools are in a better position to effect schedule, and given RPI is a massive factor in that rankings schedule.......well, you can see how that could play out.

Yet HockeyEast, perhaps the toughest in hockey doesnt get an automatic bid - how does that make any sense?

UMASS-Lowell makes the final of HockeyEast, and sits at home because they're the 17th ranked team in a 16 team tournament, and 38 ranked RIT advances. Ridiculous.

Vermont took 2 of 3 from Boston College in the playoffs, has about the same record, and is only ranked .0100 behind BC in RPI, but BC makes it ranked 11th versus UVM at 20th. Seems too dramatic a difference IMO.

It works like the NCAA basketball in some respects. RIT plays in the only "weak" Division 1 conference...hence the low ranking and auto bid. Hockey East did get an auto bid - BU (who would have gotten in anyway). I'm a Vermont alum so I know all about them. They basically beat all the lower ranked HE teams this year (except BC). One or two more quality wins would have gotten them in.

BCdevil

Dec 3, 2006

A lot of it comes down to who you beat and where. BC beat two of the top five teams in the country (BU, Denver) on the road and another top team (Harvard) at a neutral site. Other than taking 3 of 5 from BC, UVM did little of note.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Boston College (so Santini) will be on ESPN2 playing against Denver if anybody is interested.

Miami (Ohio) is also playing Providence today at 6:30 on ESPNU, but I don't think Coleman will be playing from the Game Misconduct

Alexander Kerfoot and Harvard are playing at 7:30 against Nebraska-Omaha on ESPN3

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Boston College (so Santini) will be on ESPN2 playing against Denver if anybody is interested.

Miami (Ohio) is also playing Providence today at 6:30 on ESPNU, but I don't think Coleman will be playing from the Game Misconduct

Alexander Kerfoot and Harvard are playing at 7:30 against Nebraska-Omaha on ESPN3

Sucks for Coleman since he had that hat trick in the same game. Melrose kind of sucks at color too.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Man its hard to listen to Buccigross and Melrose. I hate Melrose. I like Bucci but man stop freaking screaming.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
How long?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/03/29/oncollhock/dvwldymmbecxibRke3DFpK/story.html

PROVIDENCE — The Friars will be in Boston for the Final Four, which in itself marks the end of a long road back. They last made it to college hockey’s biggest dance in 1985, when Chris Terreri was the their star goalie and some unknown kid named Adam Oates from RPI helped dash their dream of an NCAA championship.

“It’s a great moment for our program,” said coach Nate Leaman, moments after his Friars erased Denver, 4-1, here Sunday to capture the East Regional championship. “But the job’s not done. We move on to Boston. These are the great moments we want our program in . . . but the job’s not done.”

Three decades gone by. Thirty years and waiting. While so much of New England college hockey has focused on the success of the likes of Boston University and Boston College, the Friars have plugged along, ever earnest, most always respectable, but never quite championship stuff.

But now here they are, two victories, perhaps only 120 minutes, from bringing home a national title to a state that has long embraced hockey (homage here to the beloved and legendary Rhode Island Reds). They will play in the Frozen Four’s first game on April 9 at TD Garden, against an opponent (Nebraska-Omaha) that still hadn’t been determined Sunday night when they the sashayed out of the Dunkin’ Donuts Center.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Pretty nutty finish. Too bad for Miami that they were missing their top two goal scorers; Riley Barber (Caps prospect) was hurt and Blake Coleman was suspended.

Definite bad luck with the scheduling as well. Back in 2011, Miami was a #1 seed but had to play New Hampshire and the regional was in New Hampshire. This time, they were the #1 seed and had to play Providence in Providence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad