NCAA: NCAA Coaching Carousel 2017/18

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Rutgers was literally the armpit of college football before he got there so turning them into a credible team was a real accomplishment.
Also I don't believe the AD for a minute when he says he was unaware of his time at Penn State. If he wasn't then the guy isn't fit to run a grocery store much less a major college athletic program.

Reactions: Voight

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
what is Les Miles up to these days?

EDIT: Some Vols fans are even wanting Kiffin to be broguht back lel

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He coached at Penn State, Miami, & Ohio State as an assistant/coordinator. When he was at Rutgers he recruited well & gave the big schools a challenge for top kids in the Mid-Atlantic even winning some battles. So I don’t think ties or recruiting abilities are an issue.

Schiano is a hard ass/grinder type of coach so I’d imagine that was the appeal after Butch who was essentially a cheerleader.

He’s not a bad coach but even ignoring the Penn State stuff I doubt he would have survived at Tennessee. I don’t think he would have lived up to their expectations. They expect to beat Alabama & win SEC/National Titles there. I don’t think Schiano would have delivered that.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Les is 64 years old. He's better off taking a job at Mississippi State where you can win 7-9 games and not be harassed. Tennessee is rabid as hell.

Sep 19, 2008
I just don't understand who Vols fans expect to get.

Well this guy isn't doing anything right now

1200px-Peyton_Manning_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I know UT fans probably don't like idea of hiring fired SEC coaches, but for me it would be Miles or Sumlin and it would be a no brainer. Les is older, but at least with Les he can likely get some stability back to a program that has had none since Fulmer.

Would be tremendous if they reahed out to Kiffin and a deal was made. I mean, they wouldn't have to worry about him leaving for his dream job, would just have to worry about the NFL on the off chance that happens again lel. Reading their forums I'm very surprised at how warm they are to the idea of Kiffin.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He coached at Penn State, Miami, & Ohio State as an assistant/coordinator. When he was at Rutgers he recruited well & gave the big schools a challenge for top kids in the Mid-Atlantic even winning some battles. So I don’t think ties or recruiting abilities are an issue.

Schiano is a hard ass/grinder type of coach so I’d imagine that was the appeal after Butch who was essentially a cheerleader.

He’s not a bad coach but even ignoring the Penn State stuff I doubt he would have survived at Tennessee. I don’t think he would have lived up to their expectations. They expect to beat Alabama & win SEC/National Titles there. I don’t think Schiano would have delivered that.
Nobody will until someone actually does it. Or more likely, Saban retires

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I grew up a Vol fan and today has been pretty embarrasing. I get it, a lot of people irrationally believed Gruden was coming to lead the team back like Moses parting the seas. Whoever got named outside of Gruden was going to have a certain amount of built in naysayers no matter what.

But then Schiano happened. And these people went absolutely insane over something that has no proof behind it. All because they wanted to lash out over it not being Gruden or some other completely unrealistic hire. Oh and then they mention it's also because he's a bad coach. I get it, cry because the AD didn't pick the guy you wanted because he's a bad coach and not because of hearsay related to the PSU incident.

I'm sure whoever they end up with next will be a real gem. Who wouldn't want to join Vol nation at this point, right?

(a post was made while I wrote this regarding Tee Martin. I'm sure he would be fine on his own merit but at this point only a former Vol may be willing to deal with this ridiculous fan base.)

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Glad that Schiano won't be a head coach ever again. f*** him.

Hearing ESPN ask Finebaum about a few protestors and local bigwigs being able to sway things in a very dismissive tone and him answering that it's disgusting and embarrassing is a joke. No, what's disgusting and embarrassing is the AD and him actually considering Schiano without any due diligence. Tennessee needs a good fit and not just a big name.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No evidence?

Weren't there multiple people who confirmed he was told?

(Asking because I only know what I am reading online not trying to accuse him)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No evidence?

Weren't there multiple people who confirmed he was told?

(Asking because I only know what I am reading online not trying to accuse him)

McQueary said that Tom Bradley told him Greg Schiano saw it when Schiano was in his 20's. This was 25 years ago or more after all. Bradley denies telling him that at all.

That's it. Schiano is a bad guy imo but this borders on slander and is complete hearsay. And who knows, maybe Bradley was bullshitting about the whole thing when telling McQueary about Schiano. Bradley is totally unreliable.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I grew up a Vol fan and today has been pretty embarrasing. I get it, a lot of people irrationally believed Gruden was coming to lead the team back like Moses parting the seas. Whoever got named outside of Gruden was going to have a certain amount of built in naysayers no matter what.

But then Schiano happened. And these people went absolutely insane over something that has no proof behind it. All because they wanted to lash out over it not being Gruden or some other completely unrealistic hire. Oh and then they mention it's also because he's a bad coach. I get it, cry because the AD didn't pick the guy you wanted because he's a bad coach and not because of hearsay related to the PSU incident.

I'm sure whoever they end up with next will be a real gem. Who wouldn't want to join Vol nation at this point, right?

(a post was made while I wrote this regarding Tee Martin. I'm sure he would be fine on his own merit but at this point only a former Vol may be willing to deal with this ridiculous fan base.)

Uhh the Sandusky rapes are not heresay.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Saying Schiano knew about it is though.

Maybe but he was Sandusky's DB coach for 4 years. It'd be amazing if he didn't hear or see something considering how often it was happening. There is a reason no one has vetted him to run a program since all that broke. Its just nuclear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad