NCAA: NCAA Coaching Carousel 2017/18

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hopefully usc fires the coach if they lose to Stanford.

Nd should fire the coach. And there’s many more when I get time to look it up

Wondering who Florida gets. Doubt Texas or Arkansas gets anybody. Tenn is interesting

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
LSU OC Matt Canada already looking to leave per LSU media. Tension between he and Orgeron. Probably a G5 job like South Alabama.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Your post makes no sense. USC and Notre Dame aren't firing their coaches.

They might not. But you don’t think with how usc operates if they lose to Stanford after some had them winning the NCAA championship they might want a big name? Esp with chip kelly going to UCLA?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They might not. But you don’t think with how usc operates if they lose to Stanford after some had them winning the NCAA championship they might want a big name? Esp with chip kelly going to UCLA?

I think they should considering firing their coach as there isn't much reason to think that Clay Helton (or his assistants) are very good coaches but I would think there is almost zero chance they actually do that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Helton is a good coach. The team is just two years removed from Sarkisian drinking his way through games (and who knows what else). Discounting the interim season which wasn't under his control he has lost 5 games in two years. They would be a four loss team had the offensive line not completely died against Washington State. The two previous coaching staffs did not develop talent very well. The natural step is to win the conference and push on from there.

Next year will be a very big year for him. Whether Darnold goes or not they should have a good team. They have a lot of talent. As long as USC doesn't completely fall apart while this is going on I'm a big believer that a coach should be allowed to see a recruiting class graduate before they can really be judged.

Reactions: Voight

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think they should considering firing their coach as there isn't much reason to think that Clay Helton (or his assistants) are very good coaches but I would think there is almost zero chance they actually do that.

I think Clay would win at schools like northwestern,miss State but not at schools like bama,usc,osu

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Helton seems like a fine coach but I would think that USC expects more than fine. Maybe it is just Saban, Meyer, Dabo even Jimbo (prior to this year) raising the bar but in the time that Helton has been there USC hasn't looked close to those schools, and not just because of talent, but because of some poor play calling and decision making. I thought the play calling, on both sides of the ball, was very suspect against Texas (but what do I know).

Perhaps you are right though and with more of his guys USC will look better. I just think that a school like USC should be right at the top of the heap in terms of talent and coaching and I don't see it so far with Helton in terms of being a top guy.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
It is because of talent. USC is still trying to build depth. Clemson and Alabama and tOSU can rotate 9 different bodies on the d-line with little drop off. The talent gap between USC's starters and back ups in the trenches is significant.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Helton seems like a fine coach but I would think that USC expects more than fine. Maybe it is just Saban, Meyer, Dabo even Jimbo (prior to this year) raising the bar but in the time that Helton has been there USC hasn't looked close to those schools, and not just because of talent, but because of some poor play calling and decision making. I thought the play calling, on both sides of the ball, was very suspect against Texas (but what do I know).

Perhaps you are right though and with more of his guys USC will look better. I just think that a school like USC should be right at the top of the heap in terms of talent and coaching and I don't see it so far with Helton in terms of being a top guy.

People forget that Pete left the cupboard bare and they hired a bunch of bums, which got the snowball running downhill a little bit. There are enough good schools in the area that USC has to be really damn good to get the players to perform like an Alabama. This is the first time since 2009 that they've had a balanced talent level on both sides of the ball. Just a few dumb injuries costing them one game and Darnold being ridiculously inaccurate for large stretches of the season keeping them from looking better.

I think Helton is a good coach, but I'm still not sure what to make of him entirely because until next season there isn't the kind of talent level there that means people should expect them to be crushing things. If Rector goes pro that would kind of suck and set the defense another step back.

Reactions: Baxterman
Sep 19, 2008
Lol at Helton being on a hot seat all of a sudden. Ain't happening.

ASU is an opening now. Surprised Todd Graham didn't leave for brighter pastures like he so often did at other schools.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Jay Glazer reporting NFL teams are going to press Jim Harbaugh and he wouldn't be surprised if he left. Glazer is usually right on the money.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Dan Wolken reporting that the Tennessee,and Florida job searches could end today. Greg Schiano for the Vols and Dan Mullen for Florida.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Vols fans were specific about which former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach they wanted, yes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad