NBA TV ratings down

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
The problem with the NBA is everyone is trying to jack up some shot from downtown. Remember the post? How come there aren't big men anymore? Why is the game so obsessed with guards like curry or players jacking up downtown shots

I love three pointers but I also enjoy a good post game or mid range jumpers. Everyone trying to be duke now throwing up tons of threes.
I don't mind it really, players can do what they want. I just hate when there's a fast break and players are just running to the perimeter for a 3 instead of getting an easy 2 at the rim.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
3 is better than 2 depending on the odds.

Basketball is a statisticians favourite game. It's the reason why the GSW's are so successful.

I have no problem with a >40% shooter running out to the 3. It does make sense.

Open 3 is strictly in your control.
2 on 1 fast break still gives up some control to the defender.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
What I hate about today's NBA is the fouls late in the game that slow the flow and the lack of defense.

Also I miss the days of the dominant CENTER.

Just a different game that bores me now.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
What I hate about today's NBA is the fouls late in the game that slow the flow and the lack of defense.

Basketball officiating to me is awful. You even see it in college. Lots of foul calls that are ticky tack. Yes there was some contact made but its not like you whacked the guys arm and had a huge impact on the play.

Sep 19, 2008

It's all about three point shooting and guardplay now, post game is dead

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
SInce the NBA has implemented zone D, there isn't much room for dominant centers anymore

Now you have a bunch of happy open 3 point shooters, who inflate their scoring averages thanks to more three pointerz and as a result get overrated and overpaid

And too much 3 point shooting is boring to watch, reminds me of Euro basketball

I've been watching late 80s/early 90s NBA videos more and more; there was just something about the game in those eras

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The league's personalities are boring these days too.

Jordan had the greek god aura about him, but LeBron seems way too mortal and petty.

Barkley, Rodman, Shaq, etc. all had big personalities. So did Magic. Bird was Bird.

The guys now are just either boring or annoying. Game just felt more exciting in the late 80s/90s.

The game is just soft too nowadays. Too perimeter oriented.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
SInce the NBA has implemented zone D, there isn't much room for dominant centers anymore

Now you have a bunch of happy open 3 point shooters, who inflate their scoring averages thanks to more three pointerz and as a result get overrated and overpaid

And too much 3 point shooting is boring to watch, reminds me of Euro basketball

I've been watching late 80s/early 90s NBA videos more and more; there was just something about the game in those eras

Teams that remind of Euro b-ball are the two teams that are the most enjoyable teams to watch, and one of them utilizes their post players to perfection.

Lack of dominant centers has little to do with the introduction of zone D, zone D has been around for years and years in Europe and there are still great post players there. The demise of the true big man can be attributed to the complete lack of development in the NCAA, 90% of the big men coming out of college have no idea how to position themselves on the block. Their foot work is downright abysmal, in large part because they focus too much on the athletic aspect of the game.

90's and 80's were fun because players were better equipped in terms of technical skills, they knew how to run the lanes, they knew how to post up, how to handle the double team, etc. Players today sometimes looks like they have no basic understanding of the game, it's hilarious to watch a guy like Griffin get double teamed and then he tries to fight out of it. As the Jet and Chuck would say, accept the double team and pass the damn ball, if there's two players on you someone is bound to be open, it's just dumb b-ball.

Another one is Howard, guy has two moves in the post, one of which is the running hook/floater which is a bad shot, add a move or two, also he has no idea how to post up, or lock the guy that's guarding him, just painful to watch.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I dont enjoy watching GS tbh

Regarding the implementation of zone D, I meant in the NBA not in Europe lol; good point on the NCAA

I agree on Howard

I know, that was my point kind of, you don't see big men disappear in Europe because they play a lot of zone, they are still there, mostly because big men there know the fundamentals, unlike those that come out of the NCAA. Blaming the zone D for the lack of good bigs in the NBA isn't a good argument.

I enjoy GS because they have 5 guys who know what to do with the basketball.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I know, that was my point kind of, you don't see big men disappear in Europe because they play a lot of zone, they are still there, mostly because big men there know the fundamentals, unlike those that come out of the NCAA. Blaming the zone D for the lack of good bigs in the NBA isn't a good argument.

I enjoy GS because they have 5 guys who know what to do with the basketball.
Ah ok

I enjoy watching GS when Curry is on the bench tbh; I'm not saying he is selfish but he takes a lot of 3's :laugh:, good thing they go in or Kerr would have already killed him

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
More nationally televised games with the mediocre Knicks and the 10-41 Lakers on Thursday :shakehead

These two teams get way more prime time games than the general public needs to see.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Knicks aren't even a big deal. They have what? One title and that was in 1973. NBA doesn't need them to be good really. NY is the most overrated sports market and MSG is the most overrated arena.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I dont enjoy watching GS tbh

Regarding the implementation of zone D, I meant in the NBA not in Europe lol; good point on the NCAA

I agree on Howard

Neither do I. Watching a guy shoot 8 triples and make 7 in a quarter is boring. I don't mind 25 points in a quarter but if you're making them all on 3s well anyone can have a hot stretch.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Knicks aren't even a big deal. They have what? One title and that was in 1973. NBA doesn't need them to be good really. NY is the most overrated sports market and MSG is the most overrated arena.

I roll my eyes every time I hear or read someone say that the NBA needs the Knicks to be good. Since there last Conference Final appearance in 2000 they have just one Playoff series win. They couldn't win a championship with 15 years of Patrick Ewing playing for them and they have next to nothing to show for the 6 seasons that Carmelo Anthony has been playing for them.

Plus, just my observation but the Knicks don't seem to have a noticeable fan base outside the NY area. Even all the NYers I come in contact with that move here from there say they barely give a **** about the Knicks anyway and those that do say they care more about the Yanks/Giants/Jets.

I think the NBA will be ok if the Knicks never win a championship or even contend for one again, and I for one would be ok without them constantly being shown on ABC/ESPN/TNT.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
They don't have any fans outside the NY area because they haven't had the winning culture for quite a while now. Look at the Yankees, they have fans who have never set foot in NY. And you don't need to be a big market team to attract non-local bandwagoners. San Antonio Spurs, for example...

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I roll my eyes every time I hear or read someone say that the NBA needs the Knicks to be good. Since there last Conference Final appearance in 2000 they have just one Playoff series win. They couldn't win a championship with 15 years of Patrick Ewing playing for them and they have next to nothing to show for the 6 seasons that Carmelo Anthony has been playing for them.

Plus, just my observation but the Knicks don't seem to have a noticeable fan base outside the NY area. Even all the NYers I come in contact with that move here from there say they barely give a **** about the Knicks anyway and those that do say they care more about the Yanks/Giants/Jets.

I think the NBA will be ok if the Knicks never win a championship or even contend for one again, and I for one would be ok without them constantly being shown on ABC/ESPN/TNT.

True.

I always wonder how different things would be if Reggie was a Knick and Ewing was a Pacer. Like who would have done better. Knicks made two finals but that 99 team is hard to explain. Ewing wasn't a factor. I believe they were an 8th seed but there was also a lockout that year and a shortened season.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
True.

I always wonder how different things would be if Reggie was a Knick and Ewing was a Pacer. Like who would have done better. Knicks made two finals but that 99 team is hard to explain. Ewing wasn't a factor. I believe they were an 8th seed but there was also a lockout that year and a shortened season.

That 99 Knicks team doesn't even get to the finals w/o that Allan Houston bounce in game 5 of the first round against Miami. I think they were very close to firing Van Gundy and I think had to win something like 7 out of their last 8 games just to qualify for the playoffs. On paper they probably should have been swept by Miami.

As for Reggie and Patrick thats an interesting thought, guess it would depend on their supporting cast. What I do know is a lot of Knick fans who remember the Ewing years mention the team ****ed up when they let Xavier McDaniel go and brought in Charles Smith to replace him. I'm not sure about the story here but Smith is notorious for getting blocked like 5 times in a row against the Bulls in 1993.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Because Curry is just on a "hot stretch".

You're too defensive about it. Didn't Klay Thompson score 30 points in a quarter last season? Like that odds are good he won't shoot 6-7 from downtown in a quarter again. Even if he did its still not a very likely occurrence for any player really.

This is another thing about today's game. The 3 ball inflates scoring averages and stats.

Shooting a basketball is actually a highly failing proposition. Most players will miss way more shots than the make.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad