NBA TV ratings down

Sep 19, 2008
Kind of surprising since you hear so much about it being the second most popular sport in America, or how Silver did a great job extending contracts with TNT / ESPN.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
No one much cares until after Christmas, but sometimes the games just aren't that great of a match up when on TNT or ESPN. Feels like I watch a Clippers or Rockets game every week.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The article says that League Pass numbers are up but that the NBA won't give specifics, that's kind of a shame because that's an interesting part of this equation.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
The article says that League Pass numbers are up but that the NBA won't give specifics, that's kind of a shame because that's an interesting part of this equation.

Esp with the season, team, night packages. I think that's pretty neat and would like to see how that rolled out.

Also, if any fans are like me, they get sick of seeing this damned Michelob ad for the drunken hikers and change the channel during the game.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Perhaps if they cut down on showing teams like the Lakers, Nets and Knicks ratings might budge up a little. Not likely although I am surprised the Knicks were not one of the Christmas teams this year.

Sep 19, 2008
The NBA has a parity problem.

This, but when I bring this up on reddit people claim excuses about how teams like New Orleans or the East making the playoffs dispel that notion. Well, the 8th seeds making the playoffs in the east aren't that good. The league has such a parity problem that Golden State ripped off 24 straight games. That's unheard of in hockey, especially in modern times.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
This, but when I bring this up on reddit people claim excuses about how teams like New Orleans or the East making the playoffs dispel that notion. Well, the 8th seeds making the playoffs in the east aren't that good. The league has such a parity problem that Golden State ripped off 24 straight games. That's unheard of in hockey, especially in modern times.
And yet that win streak was more exciting than anything I've seen in hockey in years.

S A W F T*

I think in the coming years, over the course of all of the major 4 NA sports leagues, you will see this trend continuing.

It's just too easy for the average Joe to find a free stream and ditch cable/league pass etc...

I prefer watching my sports on a kick ass TV in full HD so I don't mess with free stream.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think there's a parity issue. There are a lot of teams that are good/average.

The issue is there is one team that is sooo much better than the rest.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The NBA is losing it's star appeal. Few players are really Stars in the game. I think the whole Lebron to Miami is what started the disinterest. Paying for championships to make stars isn't as good as a team coming together and just straight dominating like the Warriors.

Lebron Staying in Cleveland and earning his championship gains more respect from fans across the league then jumping ship to another mans team who already has won.

Not saying this is all on Lebron but the mentality of going where it is easiest to win doesn't exactly exude loyalty.

Teams like Golden State and San Antonio have great coaching, great drafting, and great organizations and should be models on how to build champion caliber teams.

Sep 19, 2008
So there are stars other than Steph Curry and LeBron James?

- Star problem
- Parity problem
- Officiating problem

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So there are stars other than Steph Curry and LeBron James?

- Star problem
- Parity problem
- Officiating problem
Biggest problem is marketing. The late 80's into the 90's the league was at it's peak marketing wise and they really played on the different characters in the league. Each team had a marketable star. Fans could identify with their players because they weren't worried about them leaving after a few years.

Too many Highschool stars in the league and not enough college stars. 1 and done hurts both the NBA and the NCAA.

Unfourtunately the league decided to put all of thier eggs in one basket with Lebron and every year it was Championship watch before he earned it. Championships is all that mattered regardless of how they were won to make sure he was great. I think fans of the NBA would rather some else win than what ever team Lebron is on. Watching him lose is funner than watching him win.

Sep 19, 2008
To broaden its appeal, the NBA has launched a major push on social media, where the league lets fans post short amateur clips of game highlights on Twitter, Vine and Snapchat—something other leagues have prohibited. The NBA, which views it as a marketing tool, said last week that it became the first sports league to surpass 1 billion loops on Vine, a video service owned by Twitter.

Keep in mind that

- The NFL constantly takes down videos and has only recently created a Youtube account to post highlights, before then you had to watch highlights off a ****** website with ads

- The NHL constantly takes down videos and several Youtube accounts i.e. Captain Canada and Hockey Fights were suspended because they gasp...posted video clips of hockey games!

So as much as I don't care about the NBA I see this move as a huge step in the right direction

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Ratings has always been a flawed system, anyway. As pointed out there are handfuls of ways to watch games outside of having a Nielsen box or a cable package.

bWo*

My biggest issue is the flow of the game, I just can't get into it when it's just timeout galore and the last minute takes longer than the rest of the 4th quarter to complete. If it was more fluid, I could see myself actually watching a game from start to completion

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Basketball would be a better game if it had the advantage rule like in soccer (or in hockey, the delayed penalty rule). Nothing more annoying than a foul commited when your team gets a steal (intentional or unintentional).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad