NBA Equivalents To NHL Players

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Here's one I've been sitting on for a while...

Chris Paul and Pavel Datsyuk

Elite at both ends of the court/ice, both Paul and Datsyuk were often their league's leader in steals/takeaways, and their advanced stats would indicate they've generally been significantly underrated/underappreciated when it comes to their place among the all-time greats

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Is Crosby-LeBron too far off? Matches up timeline-wise. Best players in the league and face of the game over their careers. Multiple championships. Came in with a bang and hype and still playing remarkably well into their late 30's.

I admit there are differences, too. I'll take LeBron as the GOAT, Crosby is great but not quite at the top all-time. LeBron moved around. Crosby obviously with one franchise.

My Best-Carey

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Pavel Bure and Tracy McGrady. Both had their careers cut short by injuries, but when they had possession of the puck/ball, it was hard not to have tunnel vision on them. Both of them had that explosive athleticism and could weave through defenders. Both also had naysayers who believed they didn't make their teammates better despite being elite individual players.

Definitely a shame that these 2 all time great talents didn't really get to have a career in their 30's due to injuries.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I feel like I ask this every time Curry comes up, but is being the best shooter in basketball comparable to being the Rocket Richard winner, Art Ross winner, or Shooting Percentage leader?
I think Curry's best comparison may very well be starting his rookie season with the Blackhawks this year

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Nowitzki = Thornton

Neither player was known for their speed and athleticism, both won an MVP, both are among their league's all-time leading scorers, yet are somewhat underappreciated superstars from their generation

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Oscar Robertson and Marcel Dionne. Both long-time Kings (or Royals) who left those franchises at the tail-end of their careers. Both led the league in points once, as well. Robertson is the only player to average a triple-double over the course of a season, and Dionne is similarly remembered for his importance on the Triple Crown Line.

Robertson was better, in an all-time sense, but who knows what Dionne could have done with Montreal or Boston?
Russell Westbrook has done it 4 times ('17, '18, '19, '21)

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Mackinnon and Giannis? Each have led their team to a title now, each are considered almost overly competitive and serious, and they both have gotten a bit lost in the mix the past year or two due to generational players overshadowing them (Jokic and McDavid).

Reactions: Neutrinos

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Mackinnon and Giannis? Each have led their team to a title now, each are considered almost overly competitive and serious, and they both have gotten a bit lost in the mix the past year or two due to generational players overshadowing them (Jokic and McDavid).
Both are among their league's most gifted athletically as well...

Reactions: buffalowing88

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I don't think you'll really find any perfect parallels but I can think of a few that sorta make sense.

Lebron/Lemieux is a pretty good one. Both have insane skill for their size. They both have fans who will argue they're the greatest of all time despite the majority putting them right underneath Jordan/Gretzky. Despite Lemieux having injury/longevity issues, his game aged very well even into his late age and was still arguably the best player in the league at his old age, much like Lebron. Both players also brought championships to somewhat pitiful franchises and gave them legitimacy.

I've always said Lafleur and Kobe had some similarities. Both were traded in some way to their league's most historically relevant franchises in LA/MTL. Both were touted as amazing talents but took a few seasons to hit full stride due to their coaches easing them into the starting position. Both were amazing in the playoffs and won multiple scoring titles. Both won 5 championships each and both played on dynasties.

You could also argue Jagr and Kobe are similar as both were great offensive talents who were overshadowed by even more dominant superstars for a good portion of their careers.

Patrick Roy kinda reminds me of Larry Bird. Both were extremely confident and competitive players that antagonized their opponents. Both played for historic franchises and delivered multiple championships, and multiple playoff MVPs. Both players weren't necessarily known for their athleticism but were able to take over games with their fundamental skills. Both players were dethroned by freaks of nature that went on to take their leagues by storm with their superior athleticism and unprecedented dominance.

I'd honestly say Orr and Jordan are better comparables than Jordan and Gretzky. Both players were the best offensively and equally effective in the defensive aspects of their respective games. Both were so athletically superior to their peers that they embarrassed them on a nightly basis. Both players were able to make a claim for GOAT in their respective sports despite playing fewer than 10 years in their prime. And both players were able to take their respective sports to new levels of popularity the way they dominated the league.

Zion Williamson kinda reminds me of Lindros in some ways. Like Lindros, Zion was touted as a generational prospect with the ability to be the greatest player in the league due to their combination of skill and size. Also like Lindros, Zion has had a good portion of his career derailed by injuries. To be fair, Zion still has the potential to take the league by storm, but he does remind me of him a good bit.

Kyrie sorta reminds me of Kovalev. Like Kovalev, Kyrie has arguably the greatest handles in the history of their respective leagues. They both are extremely talented players who have been criticized (perhaps unfairly) for their inconsistency.

Beliveau and Bill Russel are obviously very good comparables.

And lastly, Nick Lidstrom and Tim Duncan. Both were "boring", fundamental players who avoided flashy play and were good for a very long time. Both were cornerstones of multiple championships for their teams as well.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There are certainly some similarities to the careers of Lindros and Ralph Sampson

Both were highly touted prospects that came with generational-level hype, both were incredibly talented for their size, both were drafted 1st overall, both made the All-Rookie team, both became all-stars very quickly at the pro level, both had their careers hampered by injuries in their mid-20's, both bounced around several teams later in their careers, each played for 4 franchises, and both ended up in the Hall of Fame despite having their careers end in their early 30's

Last edited:

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Russell Westbrook has done it 4 times ('17, '18, '19, '21)

Guess the Oscar Robinson wiki wasn't being updated for a while there... haha.

Good catch but I feel like it's still a fun but tenuous connection between Dionne and Robertson.

• Haha
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Guy Lafleur and Larry Bird. Both had all time great peaks but also short careers (Lafleur's being longer but also having a slow start cancels things out). Both also obviously did it for legendary franchises, which amplified their greatness. Plus Lafleur's peak came right before Gretzky, and Bird's right before Jordan.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Guy Lafleur and Larry Bird. Both had all time great peaks but also short careers (Lafleur's being longer but also having a slow start cancels things out). Both also obviously did it for legendary franchises, which amplified their greatness. Plus Lafleur's peak came right before Gretzky, and Bird's right before Jordan.
Personally, I like my LaFleur/Julius Erving comparison earlier in the thread, but beyond that, I would think LaFleur is closer to Magic than Bird

For Larry Legend I might go with Denis Potvin

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The most obvious comparable to me is Draisaitl and Jokic. Top 3 players from somewhat unconventional countries for their sport. Both are playmakers first and foremost but are more than capable of highly-efficient offense when needed (Jokic's true shooting, Draisaitl's shooting %). Both are pretty slow compared to other elite talents, both are often maligned for their defense. Same time zone too!

For historical comps, Lidstrom and Duncan is as good as it gets.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Kent Nilsson = David Thompson

Both were incredibly talented scorers who began their careers in the mid-to-late 70's in the rival leagues (WHA/ABA) before their time in the NHL/NBA. Both were out of the league by 30 (though Nilsson returned for a few games in '95), and both are somewhat overlooked when the greats of their era are discussed

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The most obvious comparable to me is Draisaitl and Jokic. Top 3 players from somewhat unconventional countries for their sport. Both are playmakers first and foremost but are more than capable of highly-efficient offense when needed (Jokic's true shooting, Draisaitl's shooting %). Both are pretty slow compared to other elite talents, both are often maligned for their defense. Same time zone too!

For historical comps, Lidstrom and Duncan is as good as it gets.
I had considered the Draisaitl/Jokic comparison, but thought Jokic may just be in a slightly higher tier as a player, but you make a compelling case

Reactions: RussianShark

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There are quite a few similarities between Lemieux and Olajuwon

Both were drafted 1st overall in '84

Both won back-to-back championships in the early-to-mid '90's

Both are a 2x Finals MVP/Conn Smythe winner

Both had moves for days, and are considered the most offensively skilled bigmen to ever play in their respective sports

Reactions: RussianShark

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Steve Yzerman & David Robinson

Both were high draft picks who spent their entire careers with the same franchise

Both were among their league's best two-way players

Both came back after suffering career-altering injuries

Both were considered playoff chokers until they won multiple championships later in their careers

Both are universally respected within their respective sports

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Drazen Petrovic & Pelle Lindbergh

Both were among the first Europeans to become stars in North America

Both died in car accidents in their late '20's

Reactions: Dale53130

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Kobe & Ovechkin

Both are considered the best scorers of their generation

Both lead their respective sports in shot attempts by a considerable margin

Both were named MVP of their champion runs, though not the clear-cut winners

Both are viewed as generational players despite the statistical evidence suggesting otherwise for the majority of their seasons

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think Lebron/Ovechkin is a good one.
Both will finish their career with significant records under their name because of their longetivity and not because of their actual talent/clutchness.

• Wow
Reactions: Dr John Carlson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad