OT: NBA Discussion Thread Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Dumb pick. Hate it. The right move was to trade the pick for more picks/assets. This kid will never be allowed to develop properly and get booed back to Latvia or Israel or anywhere but midtown Manhattan.

Cursed franchise. That sorry POS won two meaningless games to cost them the only impact players, while the guy who could have coached them won an NBA title.

**** Fisher
**** Isaiah
**** Mills
**** Dolan
**** Jackson
**** Melo
**** the idiot season ticket holders

What? Why in the world would we have moved the pick?

Hell, it's an amazing draft when you combine the Porzingis pick and then getting Grant for the black hole that is THJr.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I feel for Porzingis. Should be the happiest day of his life and gets booed like crazy by fans of the team he is joining. He seems like a good guy and I wish him great success obviously, but I would've rather had Mudiay. I think he'll bust, which sucks because the lottery screwed with the Knicks again. They have no 1st rounder next year either and I think Aldridge and Dragic wouldn't want to play here anyways.

Getting Grant was a decent trade I thought. Never thought highly of Hardaway Jr. But it's shuffling chairs on Titanic.

All in all, it's a sad day as a Knicks fan. I would say this day would be rock bottom, but then I remembered actually (and regretfully) watching some games last year.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I feel for Porzingis. Should be the happiest day of his life and gets booed like crazy by fans of the team he is joining. He seems like a good guy and I wish him great success obviously, but I would've rather had Mudiay. I think he'll bust, which sucks because the lottery screwed with the Knicks again. They have no 1st rounder next year either and I think Aldridge and Dragic wouldn't want to play here anyways.

Getting Grant was a decent trade I thought. Never thought highly of Hardaway Jr. But it's shuffling chairs on Titanic.

All in all, it's a sad day as a Knicks fan. I would say this day would be rock bottom, but then I remembered actually (and regretfully) watching some games last year.

Exactly.

Lol at the fans who think this draft makes a lick of difference. They don't need scorers. They need shutdown guards, physical forwards and a center who is intimidating.

They have no pick next year. Phil was bent over on the Cleveland trade. He's getting dick returns on all his moves, then he drafts a huge reach who doesn't play defense and a 23-year-old guard.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Fine. He's a streaky scorer and one-dimensional but the potential is there for improvement, which will happen elsewhere.

It's a lateral move. Grant was dominant as an upperclassmen. He's 23.

Knicks needed to get picks for next year. No need for an extra 1st in a weak draft.

Grant is a better player now. And he's not even in the NBA yet. Hardaway is ****ing awful. He's not only awful but he cost us the 1st overall pick.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Exactly.

Lol at the fans who think this draft makes a lick of difference. They don't need scorers. They need shutdown guards, physical forwards and a center who is intimidating.

They have no pick next year. Phil was bent over on the Cleveland trade. He's getting dick returns on all his moves, then he drafts a huge reach who doesn't play defense and a 23-year-old guard.

How many of these really exist in the NBA today?

They need better guard play. Mudiay would have been a step in the right direction for that.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I love Jerian Grant. Thought he was the most solid PG in the acc this year. Big dude too.

As far as Kris Porzingas I would have screamed had I not watched a lot of tape on him the last week. The dude is very athletic for a guy his size. He can shoot like a maniac too. I wonder if adding bulk will slow down his athleticism. Now let me clarify athletic for a big man not JR Smith athletic but a guy like that doesn't move with agility like that while still being effective on the court. I think he'll fit the triangle well the guy can move. But needs about 15-20 more pounds to be a complete player. Right now I doubt he can defend effectively against men his size and I doubt he can penetrate but the dude can be a solid perimeter player to start off. Blocks shots too. I definitely see the upside once he grows into that frame and bulks up. 19 years old too. I love how people wanted Towns and he is nowhere near finished developing physically and has chicken legs but they are killing Porzingas for the same reason. Not that I'm dissing Towns. I feel the Knicks need to win to put butts on the seats and if this kid doesn't develop quickly they might trade him but the dude definitely paints as a franchise player in a few years.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
The NBA game is very different than it was even as few as 6 years ago.

People hating on Kris because he's a European are bonkers. This dude isn't Jimmer Freddete. He's an athletic beast who hits 7'3 in shoes. I would've preferred Mudiay, but lots of teams must not have liked his workouts if he fell all the way to 7. Looking at the tape, I can definitely see the Pau Gasol in Kristap's game. And he's only 19! Let him put on some weight over the next 2 years and the dude very well might ball. His defensive game will very likely come around-- all the scouting vids and workouts point out his lateral quickness, which is what stopped guys like Bargnani (and no, Kris isn't Bargs just cuz they're tall Euros) and STAT from being good defenders. My only fear is that Fish isn't good enough to mold Porz.

Love the Grant trade. THJr. wasn't gonna work out here and we needed a tough, defensive guard. With Galloway and Grant we might have some hounds on D in the backcourt.

Lots to still do, though. I like the David West rumors, and i'd love for the Knicks to sign Danny Green. Greg Monroe is almost an opposite Porzingis, all of his strengths and weaknesses are flip-flopped from what Porz is proposed to be like, so that'd be interesting too.

My only problem is that if the Knicks were gonna go for a 19 year old project, resigning Melo looks even worse. I don't have hate for Carmelo like a lot of other dudes but he's getting old and the younger, more athletic dudes are gonna dog him at the 3. The best case scenario would be that Porzingis can play the 5 (in a Draymond Green in platform shoes kinda role) while Melo plays the 4. Almost all the legitimate stats dudes say Melo is much better at the 4.

We'll see. Team is probably gonna be trash this upcoming season, but it's nice having some talented young kids to root for.

edit- Also, I think it's huge that Porz can speak good English. It kinda stops the media from hijacking the narrative around him-- one of the first things he said in his post-draft interview was poking at people laying hard on the "soft Euro" stereotype. Rooting hard for this kid, hope he's Pau Gasol 2.0.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Sorry but poorly-run franchises are poorly-run because they are poor at developing players.

Remember the 1999 Rangers draft? Go back and read all the "experts" who said they drafted the next Joe Sakic and Luc Robitaille.

They need young established players and more picks in the draft's where they don't have picks.

Smart move would have been to trade down from 4 to middle and established young player, then trade THJ for a 2016 1st.

There is untapped talent on NBA rosters toiling as depth players. Jackson has shown zero creativity.

And he literally got a 2019 2nd for Shumpert but a mid-1st for THJ. So that shows you how GM's felt about both.

BarbaraAlphanse

Sorry but poorly-run franchises are poorly-run because they are poor at developing players.

Remember the 1999 Rangers draft? Go back and read all the "experts" who said they drafted the next Joe Sakic and Luc Robitaille.

They need young established players and more picks in the draft's where they don't have picks.

Smart move would have been to trade down from 4 to middle and established young player, then trade THJ for a 2016 1st.

There is untapped talent on NBA rosters toiling as depth players. Jackson has shown zero creativity.

And he literally got a 2019 2nd for Shumpert but a mid-1st for THJ. So that shows you how GM's felt about both.

Relax. Patience.

BarbaraAlphanse

This is BS. I personally didn't want Porzingis. Not because I knew of him or how he was playing, but because the Knicks signed a 30 year old Melo, needed to sell incoming free agents on a closer to ready product, and because of the stigma associated with incoming European players.

But the booing, the hatred, the camera showing the ****ing spoiled kid crying... Disgusting and unacceptable. It made me embarrassed to be a Knicks fan. Here is someone who has worked his ass off to get to this point. This was his dream. His parents sacrificed. He sacrificed. He came out and said he wanted to be a Knick weeks ago. Let that sink in. Not one free agent is linked to the Knicks. No one wants to come into this mess. He did.

That was his dream last night. All the pain and sacrifice and hard work culminating into a moment of reality that should have given him elation and happiness.

Disgusting. No wonder this franchise is cursed. Ungrateful, spoiled, fans that are brought up with a hateful culture that is only taught how to criticize and react negatively, like that little **** with his iPhone sobbing, booing, and videotaping it. You get what you deserve.

I'm rooting for this kid.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This is BS. I personally didn't want Porzingis. Not because I knew of him or how he was playing, but because the Knicks signed a 30 year old Melo, needed to sell incoming free agents on a closer to ready product, and because of the stigma associated with incoming European players.

But the booing, the hatred, the camera showing the ****ing spoiled kid crying... Disgusting and unacceptable. It made me embarrassed to be a Knicks fan. Here is someone who has worked his ass off to get to this point. This was his dream. His parents sacrificed. He sacrificed. He came out and said he wanted to be a Knick weeks ago. Let that sink in. Not one free agent is linked to the Knicks. No one wants to come into this mess. He did.

That was his dream last night. All the pain and sacrifice and hard work culminating into a moment of reality that should have given him elation and happiness.

Disgusting. No wonder this franchise is cursed. Ungrateful, spoiled, fans that are brought up with a hateful culture that is only taught how to criticize and react negatively, like that little **** with his iPhone sobbing, booing, and videotaping it. You get what you deserve.

Well we disagree alot but you are spot on here.

BarbaraAlphanse

Well we disagree alot but you are spot on here.

We only tend to disagree because I have my head in the clouds occasionally about the value of players on the teams we support. I feel like we agree on key points. Disagree on what I think certain players are worth.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Bilas had Porzingis as the #5 player on his board, so it's not like he was a reach at 4. Most observers I've read have said his upside is as high as any player in the draft. Plus, the Knicks took his teammate in the 2nd round, so they're doing what I takes to make him comfortable.

I wanted Mudiay, but the deal for Grant tells me that PJ knew he had has PG, so Porzingis was the obvious choice.

The booing by Knick fans was embarrassing, as was the analysis by Jalen Rose and Jay Williams.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The booing by Knick fans was embarrassing, as was the analysis by Jalen Rose and Jay Williams.

How Jalen Rose has a job I don't know.

As a Rockets fan I facepalmed when he compared Dekker to Wally Sczerbiak.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I think we can all agree with shouldn't dislike the Porzi pick (if you do) as much as we shouid dislike that crying ****ing kid who was recording his reaction to the pick.

Spoiled brat.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

Nailed it. Then Porzi had to address it and say he was gonna turn the boos into cheers, which is the best possible way to tackle the issue, but still. And the kids stupid dad was chanting "we want Winslow" at 4. It's absurd.

Fact of the matter is, the kids tape looks great and he played against good competition. People are afraid of Euros (justified, i suppose) but this isn't a small unathletic "savvy" player (or whatever other european stereotypes you wanna bust out.) Porzi is an athletic beast who seems to be able to move better than almost every other 7 footer i've seen, and his stroke is sweet as ****. He can bomb it, and when he gets stronger I have no doubt he'll be able to take it to the rim against slower big men.

My only fear is that i'm all in on small ball and we know PJax definitely isn't, so i'm afraid how they're gonna build a team around Porzi-- I think that fear can be assuaged if he gets strong enough to play the 5 while still playing a stretch 4 kinda game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad