OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You know how this works...he stays healthy in Dallas, but, if the Knicks sign him long term, he breaks down. This is how it is for the Knicks.

True. If Perry made this move because self-aware enough to realize how cursed we are, then that would help get me on board :laugh:

...at least until he uses our caproom to max out Tobi, give Scary Terry the THJ contract, and WCS the Noah deal, like he does in my nightmares...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2009
New York City
KP was not on board with the process, and the process is necessary, pretty much end of story.

Seems like Porzingis and his brother don't know how the NBA works, when it comes to winning.

To get top level talent, you either have to tank and hope you get a franchise prospect OR hope you get a franchise player or two in free agency. And possibly be in position to get a disgruntled star by having lots of assets. But you don't get those assets in the first place, unless you break it down. Which Porzingis likely didn't like.

Reactions: GordonGecko

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
KP was not on board with the process, and the process is necessary, pretty much end of story.
So clearly the smart thing to do was to basically give him away 10 minutes later and not wait and try to find a deal where the team would actually get something of value back for their biggest asset.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So clearly the smart thing to do was to basically give him away 10 minutes later and not wait and try to find a deal where the team would actually get something of value back for their biggest asset.

I think it was more that the Knicks where shopping him for a bit and in an attempt to save face his brother put out the trade demand in the 11th hour.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think it was more that the Knicks where shopping him for a bit and in an attempt to save face his brother put out the trade demand in the 11th hour.
The fact that they were shopping him in the first place is the perfect example of why the organization is the laughing stock of the entire league.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The fact that they were shopping him in the first place is the perfect example of why the organization is the laughing stock of the entire league.

If behind closed doors hes whining about the way the organization wants to move forward and build for the future hes not part of the solution.

He could also be asking for the moon to sign long term and due to his injuries it's a huge risk. We dont know and probably never will. A team doesn't move a player like that without a good reason.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013

They were shopping him because he was increasingly giving management the impression that he did not want to be in NY and go through this rebuild with the team. They were shopping him because after this next season he would have the option to become a free agent and the Knicks would risk losing him for absolutely nothing.

Now as many have already said, you can blame the FO for not being able to heal the relationship and convince him to stay onboard. That's fair.

At this point there's enough information surrounding the circumstances to not waste time with "hot takes" like this and pretend there weren't adequate reasons for the Knicks to explore possible KP trade opportunities.

I freely admit this trade could turn out disastrously for the Knicks. But the plain truth is that this is not a trade that is getting widely panned by basketball minds across the league. Other than mostly fans who pay no attention to the knicks other than to throw in a random ROFLKnicks every time the team is brought up, the widespread consensus is the Knicks did the best they could with an unfortunate situation.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
If he signed the max deal, came back and averaged 14 and 7, and wasn’t close to his old self he would be absolutely untradable with a max contract.

I don’t that it’s likely it goes that way, but it’s a real possibility that no one seemed to want to acknowledge about his injuries.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They were shopping him because he was increasingly giving management the impression that he did not want to be in NY and go through this rebuild with the team. They were shopping him because after this next season he would have the option to become a free agent and the Knicks would risk losing him for absolutely nothing.

Now as many have already said, you can blame the FO for not being able to heal the relationship and convince him to stay onboard. That's fair.

At this point there's enough information surrounding the circumstances to not waste time with "hot takes" like this and pretend there weren't adequate reasons for the Knicks to explore possible KP trade opportunities.

I freely admit this trade could turn out disastrously for the Knicks. But the plain truth is that this is not a trade that is getting widely panned by basketball minds across the league. Other than mostly fans who pay no attention to the knicks other than to throw in a random ROFLKnicks every time the team is brought up, the widespread consensus is the Knicks did the best they could with an unfortunate situation.
Check out the reactions of players throughout the league. They are the ones the Knicks need to convince their organization isn't a chuckle hut, not some NBA insider.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Check out the reactions of players throughout the league. They are the ones the Knicks need to convince their organization isn't a chuckle hut, not some NBA insider.

Only if Perry is as bad as Mills. If he’s got the latitude & foresight to accumulate assets while continuing to rebuild if we miss out on KD & Kawhi, then this could still turn out well for the team even with today’s vets continuing to laugh at us. This season should be proving to Dolan that the fanbase won’t riot about actual rebuilding. We’ll nitpick Fiz while he tries to balance tanking & development...as well as the kids...but we won’t riot. So there’s still a doable pathway for this to be a success...if Perry’s up to the job...

Last edited:

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Its pretty simple ...do you give max money to KP or use that allotment on KD,Irving or the next tier? Management decided to look elsewhere. In my opinion KP benefited from low expectations and being the lone talent on a weak squad. I remember whenever the games got serious and KP needed to take over against a top team he performed only OK. He is not elite talent.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Its pretty simple ...do you give max money to KP or use that allotment on KD,Irving or the next tier? Management decided to look elsewhere. In my opinion KP benefited from low expectations and being the lone talent on a weak squad. I remember whenever the games got serious and KP needed to take over against a top team he performed only OK. He is not elite talent.
If KP recovers from injury, I'd rather have maxed him than Kyrie.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Would a combo of KD and Kahwi be better than a combo of KD and Irving?

If they get that top pick your 5 could be KD, Knox, Zion, Kahwi and DSJ.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Porzingis won't be playing the rest of the season.

Remember when he posted that sprinting photo two months ago? Gave people the impression that he was close but the Knicks won't let him play.
Made Fizdale look like he was clueless. The coach who took the time out of his vacation to go visit him in Europe.

Real classy guy.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Would a combo of KD and Kahwi be better than a combo of KD and Irving?

If they get that top pick your 5 could be KD, Knox, Zion, Kahwi and DSJ.
That lineup needs some size and someone to grab boards. Zion could rebound but plays he's too small (height wise) to play center. Also, Zion plays the same position as Durant.

I like Kawhi/Durant. With Ntlikina at PG. Yes, his offense sucks but he will get the ball to the scorers and play excellent defense.
And Mitch at center. Defense all around would be stellar.

Don't think Kawhi is coming though.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Porzingis won't be playing the rest of the season.

Remember when he posted that sprinting photo two months ago? Gave people the impression that he was close but the Knicks won't let him play.
Made Fizdale look like he was clueless. The coach who took the time out of his vacation to go visit him in Europe.

Real classy guy.
Dallas in the same position as NYK, they don't want any extra wins. I think he can play but they rather he didn't, so maybe premadonna will start to understand some things. Man was this guy tainted by Melo

Reactions: cheech70

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That lineup needs some size and someone to grab boards. Zion could rebound but plays he's too small (height wise) to play center. Also, Zion plays the same position as Durant.

I like Kawhi/Durant. With Ntlikina at PG. Yes, his offense sucks but he will get the ball to the scorers and play excellent defense.
And Mitch at center. Defense all around would be stellar.

Don't think Kawhi is coming though.

Who cares about Zion's height? The dude is a dominant rebounder & rim protector. Vonleh does fine as a small ball 5 and he's got just a couple inches on Zion, while being much weaker, slower & less explosive. :dunno:

If we luck into Zion then we absolutely should try using him at the 5 so we can have him or Mitch on the court at all times to swat anything that comes into the paint...at least unless we can use our assets & cap space to swing a trade for someone like JJJ who could push Zion to the 4 without clogging the paint. In that hypothetical we'd be in a great spot just rolling with:

Frank | DSJ
Dotson | Zo
Kawhi | Kev
Durant
Zion | Mitch | Kornet

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Mills on the broadcast said what we all thought, KP didn't want to be here and said he wasn't re-signing with the Knicks.

They spoke to 8/9 other teams.

Deal took place now for leverage.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I turned this on at the half thinking "oh gee, the Knicks are just losing by one."

f*** me, right?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
DAJ half trying is twice the player Kanter is, its ridiculous. Just so, so much better.

Stats are meaningless. I'll enjoy his 5 game Knick career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad