OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Durant is a beast but will be 31 on opening night. Never once pegged me as a New York type. Irving will be 27 in March and has played in 60 or less in four of his seven seasons. Always hurt. Klay will be 29 and has been denting the rim in a walk year -- very odd. He's a Cali kid and I just don't see him wanting to come here.

Leonard would be a great add, but he too has been banged up the last two seasons.

Leaning more towards competitors like Butler and Kemba, but I can see why people wouldn't want that. Get rid of Frank and move Smith for more picks. Stockpile picks. Draft Zion, have Butler play the 2 like he did in Chicago. Kemba always plays well at MSG and isn't afraid of the pressure.

I think that can be a team with an identity - Fast and tough with a lot of enthusiasm.

Reactions: ponzu4u

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If they sign Kyrie and KD, just keep the pick and Knox
Why in God's name does ANYONE think any FA worth anything is coming here? This is literally among the least attractive organizations in the whole league anyone wants to go to. This whole organization is a fishsticks era Islanders level laughingstock.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Why in God's name does ANYONE think any FA worth anything is coming here? This is literally among the least attractive organizations in the whole league anyone wants to go to. This whole organization is a fishsticks era Islanders level laughingstock.

So were the Warriors. Until they weren't.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
This is not true. They often convey into 2nds after a period of time, and I'm pretty sure they've straight disappeared after several years.

Did a little research on this and that's not all entirely true. By the CBA rules, teams can trade future draft picks up to 7 years away. Per NBA CBA faq: A team may protect its pick through all seven upcoming drafts. However, if a protected pick is not conveyed by the seventh draft, the obligation to convey a pick either must extinguish after the seventh draft, or convert to a permissible alternative (such as a second round pick).

Looking back on a few trades that included protected picks (and the CBA faq actually mentions this), the protected picks usually have actually had the protections lessened the further you get away from trade. ex: in 2019 pick is 1-10 protected , if conditions met then 2020 pick is 1-5 protected, if conditions met then in 2021 the pick is unprotected.

The 2nd of the two firsts in this trade cannot be pushed back passed that 7th year. It's the reason why the 1st of the two is unprotected. If it was protected and was pushed back, the 2nd would have pushed back as well due to the consecutive draft rule.

North Jersey boy....Come home Kyrie.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Durant is a beast but will be 31 on opening night. Never once pegged me as a New York type. Irving will be 27 in March and has played in 60 or less in four of his seven seasons. Always hurt. Klay will be 29 and has been denting the rim in a walk year -- very odd. He's a Cali kid and I just don't see him wanting to come here.

Leonard would be a great add, but he too has been banged up the last two seasons.

Leaning more towards competitors like Butler and Kemba, but I can see why people wouldn't want that. Get rid of Frank and move Smith for more picks. Stockpile picks. Draft Zion, have Butler play the 2 like he did in Chicago. Kemba always plays well at MSG and isn't afraid of the pressure.

I think that can be a team with an identity - Fast and tough with a lot of enthusiasm.

Durant will age fine. He's not dependent on athleticism. NBA players like that usually are still good in their early 30's. They don't fall off a cliff at 30. And unlike baseball where it would 8 year deal for a player like him, it would only be a 4 year deal.

Lebron is 34 and still great. Wade was too at that age. Dirk won in his early 30's. Duncan was still great. Kobe etc....

One the other hand, yes he is 31 and not 25. This why if you're the Knicks, keep some of your young players like Knox. Even if naysayers claim you can't have that young of a bench/secondary players around Durant and win.

Mavs fans are over the moon over this trade, they love it
TRADE: PORZINGIS, Hardaway, Lee, Burke to DAL; DSJ,DJ,Wes to NY

Until they realize he will never be healthy with that body type.

Another major injury and his athleticism and career will be in jeopardy.

Don't know about y'all, but every time he dunked the ball, I cringed. He landed awkwardly a lot. Had a few close calls too.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I mean they used to be a laughing stock and now they aren't. It can change quickly.
Yeah, just look at the Heat after the decision. I'm almost certain Kyrie is signing with the Knicks, then it's a question of who the other big will be. KD's name keeps coming up there has to be some truth there, but it could also be AD or maybe we don't get the other big until 2020-21

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Warriors were never this dysfunctional.

Only the Browns and Oilers rival the Knicks in that category.
You hate the Knicks, we get it.

NBA nothing more dysfunctional than the 76ers for many years and the Nets under Prokhorov until recent couple years. Nets are Exhibit A for how things can get completely turned around even with prior bad management

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

NBA nothing more dysfunctional than the 76ers for many years and the Nets under Prokhorov until recent couple years. Nets are Exhibit A for how things can get completely turned around even with prior bad management
Hey man, it's fine that you're a Knicks fan and hate the Nets, but the bolded is just false.

King made one legendarily horrific trade (under the owner's orders) in an attempt to buy a contender, which the cost the team years, but that's hardly dysfunction (and even if you want to call it that, it's a single event).

There has been no Dolan, Spreewell, Isiah, harassment scandal, sex scandal, letting go of Lin, IsoMelo, Phil disconnect, etc., etc. with the Nets in Brooklyn. Trust me, I know that shit when I see it; it's a large part of why I decided to switch when the team came to Brooklyn.

The only thing close to Knicks-like dysfunction was Kidd's attempted power play – which lasted all of like 3 weeks and Prokhorov cut his ass loose.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Hey man, it's fine that you're a Knicks fan and hate the Nets, but the bolded is just false.

King made one legendarily horrific trade (under the owner's orders) in an attempt to buy a contender, which the cost the team years, but that's hardly dysfunction (and even if you want to call it that, it's a single event).

There has been no Dolan, Spreewell, Isiah, harassment scandal, sex scandal, letting go of Lin, IsoMelo, Phil disconnect, etc., etc. with the Nets in Brooklyn. Trust me, I know that **** when I see it; it's a large part of why I decided to switch when the team came to Brooklyn.

The only thing close to Knicks-like dysfunction was Kidd's attempted power play – which lasted all of like 3 weeks and Prokhorov cut his ass loose.
sure whatever, let's pretend this never happened
Brooklyn Nets: What could have been

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I really don't. This team has the worst record in the NBA since I started following the sport and they traded their franchise player for a guy they could've drafted a year earlier. They are easily the most dysfunctional NBA team.

Nets traded away high picks to Boston for years and they still have rebuilt their team better than the Knicks. Open your eyes Lol. They have 2 max slots with a playoff caliber team atm.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
The Nets would have to give up their best player to open two MAX slots. As well as RHJ. Nets fans might want to slow down until the team at least makes an Eastern Conference championship game.

*edited to point out I know you've made 'em in your history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad