OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
I think that... again, this is the temptation we fall into as Knicks fans. So used to perpetual failure and disappointment that when a new front office strings together 3+ positive moves we can't help ourselves.

The best thing this team could do is end up with a top 3 draft pick at the end of this year. Which is why I can't get fully behind the "ship Noah out because he'll turn the young guys into lackadaisical malcontents!" It's a season too early to try and turn this rebuild around. It's painfully obvious. You go public that the team is going to be built the right way, with patience, through the draft and development. And then what? Hope to squeek into the 8 seed in a season Porzingis is playing 50% of the games at best? We're pushing the entire rebuild a season early quite literally for the sole reason that Noah doesn't "corrupt" the team?

Porzingis has yet to get this team to the playoffs. Frank didn't even average 6 points a game last year. Knox/Mitchell haven't played a single game of preseason NBA basketball yet. This team has not shown enough to "go for it" next year. THIS IS THE PERFECT SEASON TO TANK FOR A TOP 3 DRAFT PICK.

These are professional athletes who have been at the highest level of competition for their entire lives. The team will still be incredibly young even when the season ends. These kids can handle a losing season without losing all value as basketball players.

Not to mention that getting a top 3 pick this year helps hedge your bets just in case we do strike out on free agents this upcoming off-season.

The Porzingis injury is THE PERFECT EXCUSE to pass off a lost season.

Just imagine this team, a year older, plus Zion/Barrett PLUS Kyrie/KD/JimmyBuckets. then we can start getting serious about building a CHAMPIONSHIP contender, not just making the playoffs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We don’t need to keep Noah around to tank. Without KP the team will finish more than high enough to have good odds of getting a top 4 pick in the lottery with which to snag Nassir Little.

And even if Noah would help the tank, I’m not down with him teaching Robinson how to party. That kid has enough red flags already without Jo showing him to smoke more weed than Snoop. It’s one thing when he’s out all night railing lines with THJ and a completely different thing if he were to do that with a kid like Mitch.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Giving this a bump.

Thought Mitch looked good last night. He was all over the place. Funny tho, he had a nice dunk off a pick and roll right when he came in. And so he then set half picks and rolled to the basket with his hands up ready for an alley oop every time down the floor.

Knox was solid. Some bad shots but that’s ok.

I really would love if they could get rid of some of this veteran deadweight. You need a blend (and a full roster) but there’s so much crap.

Reactions: cgf

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I tend to only watch college basketball when the Knicks have their pick and suck. So needless to say, I'll be tuned in this season.

I like Langford too.

So you've been watching college ball for the past 18 years.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
We're probably going to see a career season from a guy like Hardaway Jr. a la David Lee that will have no future implications for the roster moving forward - ultimately losing out on a top draft choice. I've seen it too many times.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm hoping for Cam Reddish.

The skill set on Reddish is so intoxicating, but I just can’t get behind picking a guy who’s that passive & unassertive unless he really does a great job in pre-draft interviews / workouts. Gimme Little, Zion or Barrett over Reddish if we’re picking top 5...at least at this point. If he answers these concerns by taking charge of that Duke team then he could be the next T-Mac...but just like T-Mac before the Hill injury forced him to “become the man” for his team, we just know if that switch will ever flip.

...if we end up closer to 10 again, then Quentin Grimes would be really interesting. With the likes of Doumboya, Hachimuri, Langford & Hunter there should be some good 2-4s in that range that i couldn’t complain about as well, but Grimes would be a great fit alongside our young core. A 6’5” combo guard with good length, an excellent stroke that he gets off quickly, good off the ball instincts, a strong handle and good passing ability; I get a very CJ McCollum type vibe from him in the latter parts of the top 10.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
The skill set on Reddish is so intoxicating, but I just can’t get behind picking a guy who’s that passive & unassertive unless he really does a great job in pre-draft interviews / workouts. Gimme Little, Zion or Barrett over Reddish if we’re picking top 5...at least at this point. If he answers these concerns by taking charge of that Duke team then he could be the next T-Mac...but just like T-Mac before the Hill injury forced him to “become the man” for his team, we just know if that switch will ever flip.

...if we end up closer to 10 again, then Quentin Grimes would be really interesting. With the likes of Doumboya, Hachimuri, Langford & Hunter there should be some good 2-4s in that range that i couldn’t complain about as well, but Grimes would be a great fit alongside our young core. A 6’5” combo guard with good length, an excellent stroke that he gets off quickly, good off the ball instincts, a strong handle and good passing ability; I get a very CJ McCollum type vibe from him in the latter parts of the top 10.

I like Barrett but he's going number 1, and like Rangers I don't have confidence the Knicks are getting the first overall pick.

For the Knicks, I want a guard.

My preference...

1.Barrett
2.Reddish
3.Langford

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like Barrett but he's going number 1, and like Rangers I don't have confidence the Knicks are getting the first overall pick.

For the Knicks, I want a guard.

My preference...

1.Barrett
2.Reddish
3.Langford

Eh, I think you’re getting too caught up in positions when Zion, RJ, Cam & Little are all multi position guys who can play 2-4...except for RJ, he may not have the length to be a stretch 4 in the NBA. So I don’t much care about positions because it’s talent which fits our young core that we need.

Zion is almost as much of a playmaker as Cam, just as much of a playmaker as RJ, and more of a playmaker than Langford; and his rebounding as a point forward would fit wonderfully next to KP. Little may be no more a playmaker than Romeo Langford, but he’s the best shooter of this lot, who can really attack the rim off the dribble and can defend 1-4...and maybe even 5; so that kid would also be a great fit next to KP, Frank & Knox.

So Langford is nice, but there’s no way in hell I’m picking him over one of the top 4 unless Reddish has an absolutely horrific season. And I kinda like Grimes more than Langford if we’re talking later in the top 10...as Grimes is a better shooter and playmaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: ponzu4u

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do any of y'all buy into the Durant to the Knicks rumor?

I don’t want to get my hopes up, but I do. I don’t expect it to come to fruition for us, but it’s coming from too many serious NBA insiders...aka this isn’t just Screamin A talkin about LeBron or Kyrie...and is starting to sound too much like the LeBron to LA stuff did a year ago.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I don’t want to get my hopes up, but I do. I don’t expect it to come to fruition for us, but it’s coming from too many serious NBA insiders...aka this isn’t just Screamin A talkin about LeBron or Kyrie...and is starting to sound too much like the LeBron to LA stuff did a year ago.

It would certainly change the outlook of the Knicks. Suddenly they're a playoff team. And a title contender in Durant's second/third season here, IF they get lucky in the draft and Knox develops into a solid player.

I think it's important for Porzingis to play a few games (though it may hurt the Knicks draft position) towards the end of the season. Just to show potential free agents that he's recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad