OT: NBA 2019-2020

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Brooklyn gave up 3 1sts and 4 swaps. Kind of pointless for a swap the next couple of years but its still a lot. They potentially won't have their own 1st round pick until 2028.

Reactions: Hawkman

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Today's trade for Harden proves to me that the Nets franchise has learned absolutely nothing after mortgaging their future to acquire Garnett and Pierce at the end of their careers. Harden isn't similar at all by any means, but the idea is the same. They were finally building a decent team through the draft and now it's all gone.

At least they're not the Knicks and players still want to go there.

Reactions: Hawkman

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Today's trade for Harden proves to me that the Nets franchise has learned absolutely nothing after mortgaging their future to acquire Garnett and Pierce at the end of their careers. Harden isn't similar at all by any means, but the idea is the same. They were finally building a decent team through the draft and now it's all gone.

If they win it all once, The marketing will go on forever.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Ugh. Not happy about the deal, but I’ll have to learn to live with it.

At least Brown and Perry looked good in their expanded minutes.

I think it could turn out well for us IF (massive if) Kyrie and Harden are motivated. Starting 5 is the best in the league if that happens. The guys you mentioned look good and Claxton looked good in limited minutes last year and will be back from injury soon. He’ll be a solid backup to Jordan. Dinwiddie is such a key depth player on this team now going forward, hope he comes back strong next season.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Someone should inform the Nets you can only have 1 basketball on the court at any time.This trade makes absolute 0 sense to me

Reactions: bleedblue94

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

As you said, it's not really the same situation. Harden is still in his prime, Garnett and Pierce were out of theirs.

You make that trade for Harden all day and every day.

A very solid chance they'll get 1-2 rings or so out of it, definitely worth it.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Someone should inform the Nets you can only have 1 basketball on the court at any time.This trade makes absolute 0 sense to me

Tell that to Miami who had Lebron, Wade, and Bosh at one point. Or Golden State with KD, Curry, Klay, and Draymond at one point.

Talent is talent. It may take a bit of time, but they'll find a way to make it work. The Nets just made it so they will sleepwalk to the finals now and may even win. Though, I will say that I still think the Lakers are a better team top to bottom depth-wise and defensively (as of now). But the Nets have a great chance of getting 1-2 rings now.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think it could turn out well for us IF (massive if) Kyrie and Harden are motivated. Starting 5 is the best in the league if that happens. The guys you mentioned look good and Claxton looked good in limited minutes last year and will be back from injury soon. He’ll be a solid backup to Jordan. Dinwiddie is such a key depth player on this team now going forward, hope he comes back strong next season.
What's Claxton's timeline? I haven't seen any mention recently that he was close...

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
What's Claxton's timeline? I haven't seen any mention recently that he was close...

Nash said a couple of weeks at the beginning of January, but I guess it could end up being longer.

Kyrie expected to play tomorrow per Woj. I don't mind him taking a game off here or there, the NBA season is long and when you have a team as good as the Nets, all that matters is how you perform in the playoffs. But hopefully these extended breaks are a thing of the past.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What's up with the Knicks? A buddy told me they were decent so I started looking at them and they had lost like four or five in a row. Now I see they're ravaging Boston. Is the team decent or nah? Don't really follow the NBA beyond headlines.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
What's up with the Knicks? A buddy told me they were decent so I started looking at them and they had lost like four or five in a row. Now I see they're ravaging Boston. Is the team decent or nah? Don't really follow the NBA beyond headlines.

they’re rebuilding. Finally. They have some decent young guys. They’ve looked much better with a real coach this season. but I wouldn’t mistake them for more than they are. They won’t be making any playoff runs. They’re probably bottom 5 team in terms of talent.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
they’re rebuilding. Finally. They have some decent young guys. They’ve looked much better with a real coach this season. but I wouldn’t mistake them for more than they are. They won’t be making any playoff runs. They’re probably bottom 5 team in terms of talent.

Right, they'll need to continue developing the pieces in place and will need to find a player that will likely be in the 8-12 range of this draft coming up. Thibs will keep them out of the depths of the lottery, but you're looking at a team that could be in the play in games for the 7 or 8 seed.

Quickley could expedite their building, as having a true PG that can produce is a big piece in this league. Not even at an elite level, but as a good starting point guard. You can see that in him. He's not just a shooter or scorer, but he does have the ability to set players up with open shots. The next step behind that is finding a legit backup behind him. I don't think that player is on the roster currently.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I said it a few weeks ago...my mancrush for Quickley is starting to get into the "uncomfortable" stage...lol

It might fall on deaf ears for a lot of the players coming into the NBA, but having two seasons in the NCAA can do wonders for prospects. Quickley didn't run from college after a year. You can learn a lot instead of jumping from HS ball to 30ish NCAA games into the NBA.

It's not the rule for all, but I almost wish the NCAA would apply the football rule they have for basketball. Tell these kids to go back to school, you're not a 1st rounder or lottery pick. Football does it for the top 3 rounds for undergrads. It would greatly improve the NCAA and the NBA when those players get to the league

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
It's not the rule for all, but I almost wish the NCAA would apply the football rule they have for basketball. Tell these kids to go back to school, you're not a 1st rounder or lottery pick. Football does it for the top 3 rounds for undergrads. It would greatly improve the NCAA and the NBA when those players get to the league

Instead they're literally about to do the opposite. I think the idea is to build up the D league as a true developmental league and actually let these kids make some money.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Instead they're literally about to do the opposite. I think the idea is to build up the D league as a true developmental league and actually let these kids make some money.

It's not a bad idea either. Could become like the major junior leagues for hockey, but players that go the NCAA route should be getting impartial advice when it comes to making the jump to the pros.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I know the Warriors aren't the Warriors of old obviously but still tho, the way the Knicks, matter of factly ho hum beat them last night in their barn was quite impressive. Ho hum wins just don't happen for this team EVER!.

Looks like the worm is turning folks. Most nights you are getting contributions from pretty much everyone and not just one or two guys as past Knick teams were built is most refreshing. Dare I say the Knicks are actually fun too watch!

As of this moment in time, Knicks are sitting in the 8 spot and would make the playoffs if it were held today. I can't remember the last time the Knicks were ever in a playoff spot let alone 16 or so games in...lol

What's really nice is that every night you can count on the Knicks playing hard nosed defense and that will keep you in most games even if you don't win them. Coach Tib has this team on the right track for sure.

I dunno boyz...I hardly recognize this team anymore and I'm loving it.

Last edited:
Reactions: New York City

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
It might fall on deaf ears for a lot of the players coming into the NBA, but having two seasons in the NCAA can do wonders for prospects. Quickley didn't run from college after a year. You can learn a lot instead of jumping from HS ball to 30ish NCAA games into the NBA.

Yeah I'm with ya. I miss the days when you can watch college hoop games and actually know who the players were year after year. Not sure how old you are but back in the 80's and even into the 90's, for example, there was nothing more intense around these parts than St.Johns vs Geogetown...nothing!. College basketball was never better than what it was from the 80's thru maybe 2000 not just the Big East but around the country IMO.

I couldn't name one player on St. John's this year if you asked me. Ask me same question in the 80's-90's not only would I give you the entire Johnnies team, but I'd likely be able to give you the starting lineups for every other team in the Big East including the Boston College's, Providence's of the world...lol

And alot of the reason for that was that players stayed in school all 4 years and bigtime rivalries were born between the players and of course the fan bases. You didn't have to be an alumni of St. Johns to have some good ole fashioned hate going on for John Thompson, Ewing, Mourning, Mutumbo, Wingate...etc....basically anything having to do with Georgetown you couldn't stand.

And no doubt in my mind as I just said, that had alot to do with the fact the players stayed in school.

Last edited:

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Knicks goal as a franchise right now is just to lose the stigma that they've had for awhile now and get players to want to play for them. That is going well so far. I wanted them to get #1 overall before but I don't really care about that anymore. I just want them to play well and draft good players until they become a top free agent destination. I think a great free agent signing plus a big trade will lead the Knicks to a championship, same as the Lakers just did and the Nets are trying to do now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad