Confirmed with Link: Nazem Kadri signs with the Flames (7 years, $7M AAV)

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Not a fan of this at all, but that is because I am not a fan of the 'going for it" strategy the Flames are using. I don't think this or the others moves make us a contender so it is just spinning wheels.

That said if a proper rebuild is not an option anyways than this is a very good move in a flawed planned.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Calgary fans should be thrilled. This is so cool.

Everyone expected a rebuild after Gaudreau left and the Tkachuk trade seemed imminent. But Calgary decided to totally re-vamp the offense around new players instead. I love it! Huberdeau is going to rock in CGY and Kadri could be a huge piece.

I'll say it. I'm becoming a Flames fan. I'm on the bandwagon, baby!

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Friedman says Monahan to Montreal.
Kadri 7 x 7 as others have said.

I wish Monahan the best. Loved him here. My last 3 jerseys I bought were Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk.
Guess I'd better get a Huberdeau. He ain't going nowhere. What an offseason.

Reactions: Fig

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If the cap hit is in the 6's or low 7's and he puts up ~60 points a year as the teams 1b/2nd line center, then it's a great deal.

Team's window is the next two years. After that, a bunch of contracts are done and the cap is supposed to go up a ton. There is no problem.

They finally went all in and corrected the biggest hole on the roster. It's great to see.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
7x7 to a 32 YO player who plays with an edge...this contract is NOT going to age well.
Think of today, not the future. Sutter will coach the hell out of this team. I'm pumped, we all should be. We were just a dumpster fire and we've turned this back around to a contender. Think positive, and we'll deal with the future......in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: VaporTrail and Fig

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
7x7 to a 32 YO player who plays with an edge...this contract is NOT going to age well.
Our team wasn’t going to age well regardless with Huberdeau and Markstrom, may as well maximize our current potential then finally have our hand forced to rebuild in 4-5 years. Right now though? This move is fantastic and made our team a lot more dangerous than it was yesterday.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Flames have no salary cap?

Move one of Lucic or Monahan at full cap for a late ish first and we're good.

Ruzicka yet to re-sign, but his cap will be AHL and won't affect current situation.

This is truly the Summer of BigDick Brad Treliving

Well... it has to go proportionately with how ginormous his balls have been to been aggressive in addressing this impossible situation head on though.

Absolutely hate it.

If it’s a 7m aav this legit sucks day 1. If he regresses back to his production of the last few years, we’re paying 7m to get marginally better backlund

Paying 1.65 AAV on a Backlund caliber C is not a detrimental situation. Like we've said before, the 1-1.5 overpayments on your top guys is not an issue. It's paying that on bottom 6 that's the issue.

By the time our calculated risk window closes in 2-3 seasons, it's fine as a cap floor contract. It'll also still potentially be desirable contract at that time if the cap goes up and we retain if Kadri doesn't totally fall off a cliff.

But bro, fingers crossed for you that we get a chance to swap Hanifin for Skjei.

Calgary fans should be thrilled. This is so cool.

Everyone expected a rebuild after Gaudreau left and the Tkachuk trade seemed imminent. But Calgary decided to totally re-vamp the offense around new players instead. I love it! Huberdeau is going to rock in CGY and Kadri could be a huge piece.

I'll say it. I'm becoming a Flames fan. I'm on the bandwagon, baby!

This... was considered to be impossible to pull off at the beginning of the offseason. So many of these threads would have been auto locked on the forums if recommended. Treliving pulled off a masterclass of trolling NHL 2022 in real life.

We also replaced Tkachuk intangibles via Kadri and while the top end elite talent is lower, the roster is significantly more well rounded than before. The on ice product is projecting to be on par if not superior to last season.

Who cares. It's fine for now. In a few years, new powerhouses will emerge in 2-3 years time. With the state of the Pacific and a few Western conference teams plus this roster, this calculated gamble likely is the best chance we'll have at the cup in the next 10-15 years. Ducks, Kings, Sens, MTL and a few others are also still rising while a lot of the top contenders will hold their positions for quite a few seasons yet before only starting to slow down in a few seasons.

There are worse things to have than a smallish window chance to shoot your shot, but then a country club mediocre roster that still projects to have a very entertaining on ice product even when we're mediocre.

I'm psyched!

Reactions: banks

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What an off season you guys have had!

Good time to be a Flames fan.

The double rainbow after the rain storm has been absolutely beautiful.

Not going to lie, it was hella rough with no light in sight for a while. I'm so happy we aren't going to have 5-10 years of darkness and we will have something fun for the next little bit!

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Chill with all the “horrible contract in 3 years” crap. Tough news, but if you haven’t realized yet, this team doesn’t have the picks/prospects to be sustainably competitive. Might as well swing for the fences for 2-3 years

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
What an off season you guys have had!

Good time to be a Flames fan.

We will see.

I think going for it was the wrong approach but if they were unwilling to go the proper route then at least they have made the best moves possible to go for it. I don't see us as being close to a contender and debatable where we rank in our own division let alone overall, but there is plenty of talk that owners just want play-off games and prioritize play-off money over long term success so if that is the case this is likely the best case scenario we have.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
7x7M is a perfectly acceptable deal. Yeah, the last few years will suck but so will Huberdeau's and no one complained about that.

Giving up a first to dump Monahan is awful though. Can't believe it had to come to that

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Coleman
Mangiapane-Kadri-Toffoli
Pelletier-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Rooney-Lewis
Ruzicka

4th line still sucks but whatever. That Rooney deal is terrible. But that's a good top nine although I'm sure there will be still more whinging about how the Flames should have wasted more cap space on the wings

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Chill with all the “horrible contract in 3 years” crap. Tough news, but if you haven’t realized yet, this team doesn’t have the picks/prospects to be sustainably competitive. Might as well swing for the fences for 2-3 years
…Pelletier, Coronato, Wolf, and Zary all project to give us great contributions when they make the jump, and half/two-thirds our D group is 25ish and improving with Valimaki/Mackey/Poirier/Kusnetsov still on the rise. If anything, it’s the stockpile of prospects waiting in the wings that probably has made management more willing to sign big contracts and move 1sts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad