The Star: Nazem Kadri is already in Randy Carlyle’s doghouse

Penalty Kill Icing*

Kadri is on path of being Grabovski'd here. So far, so good.

Only job available for him is either #2,#3 or #4C.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Kadri's 23, still learning how to be a NHL center.

Carlyle is just giving ice time to people who have earned it.

There is only so much ice time available.

McClement 15
Bolland 16.6
Bozak 22

Doesn't leave a lot (Bozak and McClement on together for face-offs).

That's all fine and good. The only problem is than Bozak can't finish. There were at least two opportunities in the last game where Kadri most likely would have buried the easy goal. Every opportunity that Kadri has had to play with the top guys he has excelled. For that reason and that alone he should be given the shot.

GameOverLeafsWin

Jul 10, 2009
The Toronto sports media is pushing me farther and farther away from watching this sport. If its The Toronto Star, Steve Simmonds, Damien Cox or if its the CBC with Glen Healy or even reading blogs reacting to players individual corsi rating all of the above is just negative for something that used to be viewed so positively by me growing up and now into my 30's.

These players play (period). People go to work and have productive days, non productive days and days where they tried but couldn't make a go of it. The part about hockey is being a part of the greater whole. Everyone will contribute to either a win or a loss in one way or another. But pointing fingers to one player of the 20 who are involved in the match, is just not what hockey is all about for me.

Close games is what a good team does (see boston), a team who can sit on a lead and protect it is a skill on its own, and good on RC for recognizing that (because there will be lots of them this year). Yet saying "why is RC not playing Nazam Kadri? Is he in his dog house? He must be!" Instead of asking "Is this the people who should be on the ice while protecting a lead? Do we have the players who fit this situation?"

What I am saying is when my friends call me to come watch 2 hours and 30 minutes of a bunch of cronies on a Saturday night harping about what seems like a game I am not watching or spending 10 minutes reading an article about how AHL players have better corsi ratings then our bottom six. Ive decided to not waste my time any more, till I can get back to enjoying the simplistic joy of watching team sports. Where as they win together as a team and once again I feel apart of the excitement that is the whole of Hockey.

Shame this had to happen when in my opinion the Leafs have the best team Ive seen since the Sundin, Roberts and Nieuwendyk days.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
At least the Toronto media is consistent. Have they ever written anything positive in the past 5 years? This is exactly why I don't bother reading sports articles anymore. The team is moving forward and I'd rather spend time enjoying watching them play.

We're four games in. I'd like Kadri to be getting more minutes, but he hasn't quite been at the level he was at last year either. He keeps working and he'll make his way up the lineup.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
So what influence does this have on Kadri's play?

You're making an underlying assumption that is likely not correct.

I'm not sure if you've ever played hockey (I won't lie and say that I've ever come close to playing at a high level) but it's difficult to get on the ice after 10 minutes of sitting there, including Tv timeouts ect and be firing at all cylinders.

SteveV*

The funniest part, the TO media think they are part of the show, when truth be told if they weren't writing about the team we love NOBODY would bother to read their tripe. Cox and Simmons kill me in particular.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Bolland has been better and with the Wingers missing the third line is lacking the firepower to get the ice time. If the Kessel line starts faltering Kadri will find some time with that group I think, but as of now till bodies come back he is an odd man out for ice time.

Ace88*

I really, really wish all of Toronto's media would just **** OFF ALREADY with this idiotic "randy's doghouse" bull****. It's gettin reallllllll old reallllll fast.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I'm not sure if you've ever played hockey (I won't lie and say that I've ever come close to playing at a high level) but it's difficult to get on the ice after 10 minutes of sitting there, including Tv timeouts ect and be firing at all cylinders.

Yes I've played hockey. There are plenty of guys on the team that can play 13mins a night and still play the way RC wants them to.

What does being paired with Colton orr have to do with it?

oscarknows

Jul 19, 2009
bozak has not done squat drop him down to play with orr and ashton see how many give aways he does ,or sorry down a goal and we dont put kadri up with jvr and kessel caryle does not make sense and is not fair with all his players trade kadri and set him free

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Yes I've played hockey. There are plenty of guys on the team that can play 13mins a night and still play the way RC wants them to.

What does being paired with Colton orr have to do with it?

You can't play hockey properly if your line mates are people that can't play hockey (like Orr). Kadri gets my respect for atleast entering the offensive zone a few times with Orr as his linemate.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
bozak has not done squat drop him down to play with orr and ashton see how many give aways he does ,or sorry down a goal and we dont put kadri up with jvr and kessel caryle does not make sense and is not fair with all his players trade kadri and set him free

Oscar you know whats up bro. If were down a goal I want our best offensive players on the ice too.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
You can't play hockey properly if your line mates are people that can't play hockey (like Orr). Kadri gets my respect for atleast entering the offensive zone a few times with Orr as his linemate.

You don't seem to get it. You blame EVERYONE but Kadri.

Clearly he's not doing things the way RC wants him to do things. Why don't you get that?

Maybe it's how fast he skates on the backcheck, maybe it's how he skates through the neutral zone, maybe it's the way he forechecks opposing defensemen, maybe it's how he works in the faceoff dot. I could go on but I'm not going to play armchair coach and pretend that I know what it is from watching him on TV.

Point is; There are PLENTY of things that are completely independant of what Colton freaking Orr is doing that RC could have issue with.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I too think this is Toronto media trying to make stories that aren't there.

Leafs are 3-1 to start the season (sloppy admittedly, but still 3-1)with last game a 2-1 loss, and coming off a playoff appearance for the first time in 9 years.

I actually think Toronto media don't know what to write about now. They could write more objective articles about working on tightening up the defensive game, or about how Bernier is having a nice debut with the Leafs-but instead "doghouse" drama with players and a coach.

I do think they've fallen so far into the "bad news sells" mantra with the Leafs, they don't know how to get out of it.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Feschuk is just doing what he does best; stirring the proverbial pot with unsubstantiated crap.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
You don't seem to get it. You blame EVERYONE but Kadri.

Clearly he's not doing things the way RC wants him to do things. Why don't you get that?

Maybe it's how fast he skates on the backcheck, maybe it's how he skates through the neutral zone, maybe it's the way he forechecks opposing defensemen, maybe it's how he works in the faceoff dot. I could go on but I'm not going to play armchair coach and pretend that I know what it is from watching him on TV.

Point is; There are PLENTY of things that are completely independant of what Colton freaking Orr is doing that RC could have issue with.

I love how your trying to justify that Kadri is playing with Orr for his own benefit. Kadri, your a bit shaky so instead of giving you a bit more ice-time with better wingers to get into the groove of things again, I'm going to play you 13 minutes a game with 4th liners. Its for your own good, believe me. :laugh:

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Feschuk is an idiot but Randy is starting to piss me off. Playing Kadri on the 3rd line with Orr and Ashton. He did the same **** to Grabovski. Seems like Randy wants to run all our skill players out of town

zapy

Aug 26, 2010
Toronto, Richmond Hi
I understand that he hasn't been on fire so far this year, but pairing him with plugs like Orr and Ashton won't exactly sharpen his game

This I agree with, if he's not playing well send him to the minors, or if you don't like him trade him. Maybe cause we have so many injuries but still there has to be a better way to match the players.

And I'm a strong believer that letting go of Grabovski was a big mistake, he was a really good player.

mikebel111*

I love how your trying to justify that Kadri is playing with Orr for his own benefit. Kadri, your a bit shaky so instead of giving you a bit more ice-time with better wingers to get into the groove of things again, I'm going to play you 13 minutes a game with 4th liners. Its for your own good, believe me. :laugh:

yeah. undeserving players should get more ice time while others who are playing better should get dropped. perfect logic.

I am a huge kadri fan but he is not playing up to standards. RC is doing the right thing.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that he's not playing well in RC's eyes whereas he's got another centre in Dave Bolland that is; so he's playing him.

Why would Kadri get more icetime when he's not playing as expected?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad