The Star: Nazem Kadri is already in Randy Carlyle’s doghouse

mikebel111*

leafs nation falls in love with their players so much even if they aren't playing well.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
It's called earning your spot. Just because Kadri earned it last season doesn't exempt him from earning it again this season.

mikebel111*

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that he's not playing well in RC's eyes. He's got another centre in Dave Bolland that's playing very well in his eyes; so he's playing him.

Why would Kadri get more icetime when he's not playing as expected?

agreed. plus it seemed kadri got moved up to 2nd line in the 3rd period. ashton and kadri got some chemistry going

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Yes I've played hockey. There are plenty of guys on the team that can play 13mins a night and still play the way RC wants them to.

What does being paired with Colton orr have to do with it?

What exactly is it that Kadri has not done? He has bee back checking, playing defence and breaking up plays.

He is a playmaking C with a high scoring ability. Every time he rushes up the ice he is alone because Orr can't play hockey. Having him on the third line is a joke. Lt him play 5 minutes a game on the 4th and goof around, he's wasting space at 13 minutes a game.

zapy

Aug 26, 2010
Toronto, Richmond Hi
yeah. undeserving players should get more ice time while others who are playing better should get dropped. perfect logic.

I am a huge kadri fan but he is not playing up to standards. RC is doing the right thing.

I like Orr, but Orr wouldn't be able to score in an empty net so I feel like it's just a waste. If you're going to have him play with Orr you're better off putting a large possibly less skilled centre instead of Kadri. Grab someone from the AHL.

ANd why does it always have to be about Kadri? lol THe media loves to make stories about this guy. Gardiner, Ranger, the defence and the injured players are the bigger issue now.

mikebel111*

I like Orr, but Orr wouldn't be able to score in an empty net so I feel like it's just a waste. If you're going to have him play with Orr you're better off putting a large possibly less skilled centre instead of Kadri. Grab someone from the AHL.

ANd why does it always have to be about Kadri? lol THe media loves to make stories about this guy. Gardiner, Ranger, the defence and the injured players are the bigger issue now.

the kid has been in the spotlight since he was drafted. the media is jealous that he was able to become a good player and that he didn't become a bust like they were saying he would. only a matter of time, before they get on rielly's case.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
What exactly is it that Kadri has not done? He has bee back checking, playing defence and breaking up plays.

He is a playmaking C with a high scoring ability. Every time he rushes up the ice he is alone because Orr can't play hockey. Having him on the third line is a joke. Lt him play 5 minutes a game on the 4th and goof around, he's wasting space at 13 minutes a game.

I'm not going to pretend to know what Kadri is doing right and wrong because a) I watch games from behind the TV and b) I'm not an NHL coach.

You certainly can't coach a team from behind a TV and it'd be very naive to think that any of us can see what Carlyle sees. He's an NHL coach with expectations from his players, however big or little those expectations are. It's obvious he isn't impressed with Kadri's game and Kadri's the only one that can do anything about that.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Why not just double shift Kessel / Lupul / JVR with Kadri every once in a while? Take Orr off and play Kessel / JVR / Lupul more. It won't hurt and it's better then playing Kadri with some one who can't finish, as much as I like the Sheriff.

Poor Kadri, he can make something of nothing, but he can't turn **** into pudding.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So Kadri plays third line minutes last year and explodes; Carlyle is declared genious.

This season, Kadri struggles in 2nd line role, Carlyle puts him on the third line, and now hes punnishing him?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'm not going to pretend to know what Kadri is doing right and wrong because a) I watch games from behind the TV and b) I'm not an NHL coach.

You certainly can't coach a team from behind a TV and it'd be very naive to think that any of us can see what Carlyle sees. He's an NHL coach with expectations from his players, however big or little those expectations are. It's obvious he isn't impressed with Kadri's game and Kadri's the only one that can do anything about that.

That's fine, I agree with you. What it doesn't change is that while he's being disciplined, the first line hasn't been producing to it's wingers potential. I know that it's only game 5 tonight but we may have given up at least one point on Tuesday because of missed gimme goals. Not to sound cliche, but points now count just as much as points in the spring.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
So Kadri plays third line minutes last year and explodes; Carlyle is declared genious.

This season, Kadri struggles in 2nd line role, Carlyle puts him on the third line, and now hes punnishing him?

I'm all for Carlyle protecting Kadri when up against the likes of Lecalvalier and Giroux, but he should have been playing against his peers on Tuesday.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
I wouldn't say that Kadri is in Randy's doghouse, Bolland and MayRay have been unreal these first few games and that has bumped Kadri down. Kadri has been okay these first few games with spots of hot flashes, such as the pass to Phanuef in Montreal, and honestly he looked good against Colorado but was tuck with Orr and Ashton.

The only issue I've had with how Carlyle has handled Nazem this year was in the Colorado game. Bozak was not playing that well, wasn't winning face offs, wasn't finishing his chances, it was a low scoring game and I was shocked he didn't give Kadri a couple shifts with Kessel and JVR to try and get some offense going.

On a side note I am really loving the Lupul-Bolland-MayRay line. Looks quite a bit like the Krejci line in Boston. Can't wait too see if Bigg's becomes a more defensive Lucic as expected as that could be a dirty 3rd line!

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
coach only gives ice time to players who deserve it and the Leafs are the best team in the NHL and they even made the playoffs last year, in fact they've never not made the playoffs in a full(ish) season in which Carlyle coached with Bozak on his top line, who is Feschuck to question the personnel decisions of an NHL COACH who made the PLAYOFFS

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

he played almost every shift on Tuesday with Colton Orr. effectively 4th line minutes. when a bottom 6 role involves skating with one of Orr, Bodie, Devane on your wing it's a bit different than playing "sheltered" minutes with MacArthur, Frattin, whoever.

in any case though Carlyle is an NHL coach who made the playoffs last year.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
This is the problem. He hasn't earned any additional ice-time with his play so far this year. There's no entitlement and merit floating around our locker room and I for one like it.

Neither have JVR, Bozak, or Kessel (among others), but they're still getting more minutes than anyone else. So yes, there is a sense of entitlement floating around, but only for certain players. Carlyle has favourites. Let's face that fact.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I have no problem with the coach benching players for bad play but it seems like Kadri always gets the short leash whereas other players play like poop and they get free passes. I thought JVR and Raymond played horribly on Tuesday, they still got their average TOI. It's getting old Carlyle, Kadri, like most other players should get the chance to play through rough patches.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Neither have JVR, Bozak, or Kessel (among others), but they're still getting more minutes than anyone else. So yes, there is a sense of entitlement floating around, but only for certain players. Carlyle has favourites. Let's face that fact.
Exactly what I've noticed as well.

Phelan

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
"With another workday nearly done at Wednesday’s Leafs practice, Nazem Kadri made like a short-order cook. Using the blade of his stick like a spatula, he picked up a puck and repeatedly heaved it high into the air.

The disc went up. The disc came down. And Kadri, though he attempted to catch it like an artfully tossed fried egg, never could manage the trick."

Just a blunt, awful way to put Kadri in a negative light, before you even get to the point of the article.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario

^^^^^^

See above.

Add....Kadri had Orr last year on his wing when he was tearing it up at times.
Add....Kadri leads the team in giveaways
Add....Kadri outplayed Grabbo to take 2nd line (and make Grabbo expendable). Only fair Bolland could do the same .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad