Nazem Kadri Discussion - MOD WARNING IN THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

calgary—maple leafs centreman nazem kadri could be facing league discipline after he made a throat-slashing gesture in the direction of calgary captain mark giordano during tuesday night’s 4-3 loss to the flames.

kadri said he was “furious†after being decked by a giordano check late in the first period. Kadri thought the blow, which was unpenalized and knocked him to the ice, was landed to his head.

after returning to the maple leafs bench, kadri appeared to trade words with both the officials and giordano. Around that time a camera caught kadri appearing to make the throat-slashing gesture which, tsn reported, is being reviewed by the league.

Kadri, who also appeared to simultaneously mouth the words “you’re dead,†said he doesn’t remember precisely what was said.

“i think i said ‘(you’re) done.’ but like i said, the whole situation was a little bit fuzzy.â€

the throat-slashing, kadri said, is “something i don’t really remember doing. I was kind of in and out after the hit.â€

the nhl has levied suspensions for threatening acts before. In 2010 the league suspended chicago’s nick boynton for one game for making a throat-slashing gesture in a pre-season match. Kadri, for his part, said he’s aware his behaviour is under scrutiny.

“i know (throat-slashing is) not really allowed,†kadri said. “i didn’t even realize i did it. And then afterwards i kind of regretted it a little bit. But that’s how the game goes. It’s an emotional game . . . I’m not sure if it was a clean hit or not, but i’ve been tld it was. It certainly didn’t feel like that at the time.â€

Last edited:

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
So, he is playing the " I was concussed, I don't remember" card. lol

The guy should just man up and admit he lost his cool. Instead he chooses to say he doesn't recall - what a joke.
If Shanny/Lou/Babs are all about being professional I can't see how Kadri is a good fit.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Don't be ignorant and claim you don't get it. Your love for this mediocre player is clearly clouding your judgement. It has been well documented that Babs has focused on Kadri's development this year and has given him all the opportunity in the world. Meanwhile, Holland was a healthy scratch a few times to start the season and was an afterthought.
At this point, their ppg is awfully close while Kadri plays way more minutes and top PP time.
If Babs were to focus on Holland's development I am sure he would put up better numbers than Kadri for half the price. This is also without Kadri's on ice and off ive antics and suspensions.
You think this clown is a role model for the young guys? Someone who has a history of confrontations with coaches? Someone suspended multiple times for head hunting? Someone who is suspended for off ice issues? Someone who throws temper tantrums after being hit?

You contradict yourself many times here, why would Babs give him so much opportunity and attention if he was mediocre? And why would Babs give more minutes to Kadri than Healthy Scratch Holland if Holland is that much better? Hollands PPG are against 3rd-4th line talent while Kadri plays the top opposition each night, big difference you decided to omit.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
[mod] It has been well documented that Babs has focused on Kadri's development this year and has given him all the opportunity in the world. Meanwhile, Holland was a healthy scratch a few times to start the season and was an afterthought.
At this point, their ppg is awfully close while Kadri plays way more minutes and top PP time.
If Babs were to focus on Holland's development I am sure he would put up better numbers than Kadri for half the price. This is also without Kadri's on ice and off ive antics and suspensions.
You think this clown is a role model for the young guys? Someone who has a history of confrontations with coaches? Someone suspended multiple times for head hunting? Someone who is suspended for off ice issues? Someone who throws temper tantrums after being hit?

You said "if Babs worked with Holland". That implies he works with Kadri, and not Holland. And now you're calling me ignorant because I don't get it?

[mod]

Holland a healthy scratch - you earn your chances in this league, period.

As far as being a role model goes - you don't know what I think on that subject but starting the discussion by calling him a clown shows that you're not interested in discussion, you'd rather toss insults around at me, Kadri or whoever else. I'm rather not play that game, thanks for the invite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
If I am reading lips right, at one point he says "You're F'ing dead" after doing the throat slash

"You're ****ing dead" is like a hockey trash talk go-to phrase. This happens all the time and is a complete non-issue, it's just the gesture the league has an issue with.

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Missed the game, just saw the video.

It's a clean hit on a guy with the puck coming into the zone. I mean, Kadri is begging to get hit hard here - and Gio actually looks like he minimizes what could have been a MUCH more devastating hit by not stepping into it - he just braces himself appropriately. Like . . . that could have been way worse.

And then Kadri - who I am ambivalent on, but believe he's a good player - reacts like a total fool rookie idiot.

It's . . . extremely disappointing. I am very sure Kadri will get a fine and maybe a suspension. It's clear form my lip-reading that he says "You're effing dead!" while doing the throat slash. In today's NHL, that's totally unacceptable, it's not Bobby Clarke's NHL anymore gents, and you know it.

It shows me that Kadri is even more immature and foolish than I thought he was.

I don't feel so ambivalent about him anymore.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Its like someone can't have a personality with some of you people.
Quite frankly this team needs more guys that play with heart and edge
Too many soft emotionless plugs on this team

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Its like someone can't have a personality with some of you people.
Quite frankly this team needs more guys that play with heart and edge
Too many soft emotionless plugs on this team

. . . um, what?

Throat slashing is personality? Threatening people who checked you in a hockey game with something that thug high-schoolers say is personality?

:laugh:

[mod]

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
He was punished 3 or 4 times going after Gio and ending up on the wrong end.

I think that should be punishment enough.

#FreeNazem

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
. . . um, what?

Throat slashing is personality? Threatening people who checked you in a hockey game with something that thug high-schoolers say is personality?

:laugh:

[mod]

The only problem is the gesture. The "threatening" or whatever, is so common place it's a complete non issue.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The only problem is the gesture. The "threatening" or whatever, is so common place it's a complete non issue.

That's my thoughts. I have no trouble with the comments or heated exchange, the gesture and "I don't remember" comments are garbage.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
So, he is playing the " I was concussed, I don't remember" card. lol

It doesn't take a concussion to lose your mind for a moment when adrenalin is high and you're pissed off. I once went after a guy who had 6 inches and 50-75 pounds on me because I was so mad about a hit he laid on me. I was already pushing him up against the boards in the corner when I realized what trouble I was getting myself into.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Up to the NHL if there are issues with it.

I don't think it is as common as suggested or else the league would be looking at quite a few of these from the past week wouldn't they?

Sounds unique enough to warrant a review.

Whether anything comes of it, who knows.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
How anyone can't respect this kid after the effort he's given us this season is mind boggling.

RLF

May 5, 2014
It doesn't take a concussion to lose your mind for a moment when adrenalin is high and you're pissed off. I once went after a guy who had 6 inches and 50-75 pounds on me because I was so mad about a hit he laid on me. I was already pushing him up against the boards in the corner when I realized what trouble I was getting myself into.

I am not disputing losing your mind...as you notice, you are not claiming to forget what you did, you remember quite clearly. Naz is claiming he doesn't remember because he might have been concussed is what I am laughing at.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Some of the stuff I'm reading about Kadri being immature is so ridiculous. Guy was fired up, tried to get back at Gio legally on the ice.

Do people not remember the Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi days? These guys were beloved and did stupid things all the time. Tucker tried to chase Rob Ray in the tunnel after they had both been ejected. Tie Domi sprayed a fan with a water bottle in the penalty box before the guy fell to his impending doom. Elbows, low bridge, dirty dirty plays that we ate up for years.

When did we get so sensitive? Kadri is one of our own, let's act like it. This is emotion, stuff we haven't seen from the majority of this team in years. I'm all for being fired up, especially in a season that is a write off, suspy or no suspy, good on him.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Obviously this is something unsportsmanlike and has to be dealt with, but all those people calling Kadri immature, idiodic, and has to go...are you serious? Yeah I know he has a slight rap sheet, but that's what you get with people who wear their heart on their sleeve.
Personally, I love the emotions and intensity that Kadri plays with. I love the fact that he can beat you in the alley or on the scoreboard.
I realize that part of what you bargain for with emotional, high intensity players, is bad emotional decisions..but I love that Kadri is this intense. Better than the other 75% of the bench who played without a heart. And for some players like Kadri, an intense and emotional game is how they thrive. End rant..just my 2¢

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
I don't see why this should result in a suspension, unless they think kadri is actually gonna kill him. It was just a troll tactic. Guys don't verbally say a lot worse on the ice?

RLF

May 5, 2014
Some of the stuff I'm reading about Kadri being immature is so ridiculous. Guy was fired up, tried to get back at Gio legally on the ice.

Do people not remember the Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi days? These guys were beloved and did stupid things all the time. Tucker tried to chase Rob Ray in the tunnel after they had both been ejected. Tie Domi sprayed a fan with a water bottle in the penalty box before the guy fell to his impending doom. Elbows, low bridge, dirty dirty plays that we ate up for years.

When did we get so sensitive? Kadri is one of our own, let's act like it. This is emotion, stuff we haven't seen from the majority of this team in years. I'm all for being fired up, especially in a season that is a write off, suspy or no suspy, good on him.

They played different roles and would drop the gloves to settle problems. Yes it was great, there was also no instigator fighting penalty back then, the game has changed and most players have changed with it, whether we like it or not.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
When he did the cut throat slashing sign against the Swiss U20 team, what came out of that?

I reckon it will not effect the leagues views on what he did in the Calgary game since it is different leagues and organisations. But can his previous suspension from last season play a part even do it was completely unrelated?

Anyway, stupid thing to do and doing stupid things was exactly what Kadri was not supposed to do this season, seeing as they are checking if he can be the model pro the young talent coming up will need to have on the team.

But as Sun Tzu said.

I think Kadris stupidity can come handy in a playoff series when every ones nerves are playing games with them. Then stupid, crazy guys with skill like Kadri can pull off some amazing stuff and change a game to the better. Worth keeping in mind before we throw him away. Every one on the team can not be a controlled, well tempered person. Need some sparks as well.

Agreed, remember Claude Lemieux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad