Nazem Kadri Discussion - MOD WARNING IN THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsbeast*

I'm nearing the point where I think we should trade Kadri. He is going to bring our team down with him if keeps getting himself in trouble with the League.

Should management offer him up in trade to acquire Drouin, especially if Ottawa is in on acquiring him? :dunno:

Agreed.

At this point I would be happy to send Kadri to Tampa for their prima donna and hope Babs can knock some sense into him.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Agreed.

At this point I would be happy to send Kadri to Tampa for their prima donna and hope Babs can knock some sense into him.

We are not getting Drouin for Kadri. And I have no interest in Drouin and his prima donna stuff either. What kind of signals does that send to Nylander and the rest of the Marlies bringing in a player who refuse to play in the AHL?

I am perfectly fine with trading Kadri, long time since I was a fan of him. But I rather hang on to him then trade him along with something else of value to acquire Drouin.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lou may suspend him for a game himself.

Not a big deal, punishment is for a reason not to be mean.

If nothing happens it just encourages a lack of control.

Should have zero impact on contract or whether he is on the trading block or not.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
It was all made that much more embarrassing by the multiple horribly failed attempts to get payback.

You tried to dangle through three players with your head down, Kadri. Giordano probably could have hit you a lot harder than that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It was all made that much more embarrassing by the multiple horribly failed attempts to get payback.

You tried to dangle through three players with your head down, Kadri. Giordano probably could have hit you a lot harder than that.

Great skill, adequate smarts.

He's improving but it might have been too easy for him in his development years or his limitation is his HIQ.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Honestly, don't have a problem with it. This is a team that has had a history of not giving a crap. Kadri cares, and he cares even when most fans have stopped.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Didn't see the game (in Spain)

But I think a downside of the Phanuef trade, and injuries, is that the Leaf is going to fall on his shoulders.

Don't think this is fair. He's a good 2C and really shouldn't have to carry the weight of the team nor be held to unrealistic standards.

If he gets moved he gets moved but we don't need to pile on.

It's almost an impossible task.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm surprised this thing is getting so much attention. Can we get over it already?

considering similar actions have had subsequent attention (and suspension) probably not.
especially made by a player for all intents and purposes is under probation. (You can lobby the "heat of the moment" sticker on it - but Kadri basically had his head down, Gio hit him (could have hit him harder), and then Kadri throws a hissy, yells at Gio, does a throat slash (which is a big no no) - then lets that mess up his entire game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Didn't see the game (in Spain)

But I think a downside of the Phanuef trade, and injuries, is that the Leaf is going to fall on his shoulders.

Don't think this is fair. He's a good 2C and really shouldn't have to carry the weight of the team nor be held to unrealistic standards.

If he gets moved he gets moved but we don't need to pile on.

It's almost an impossible task.

I don't think anyone is holding him to unrealistic expectations when talking about the gesture. What he did was obviously wrong for any player of any calibre. It was not about team it was about getting rocked and losing his cool.

Now if people are expecting him to carry the team, or believe being praised by Babcock makes him a star then that is unrealistic.

For the rest of this season the players just have to hold themselves to high standards and be professional.

No one is going to carry this lot.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Like I have always maintained - people do not change. Kadri has always been a bad apple with a me first attitude. His head shots and off ice issues have been well documented and have resulted in suspensions multiple times. Attempting to retaliate multiple times and ending up on his ass was an embarrassment. No wonder guys like Crosby consider Kadri to be a "joke." Who needs a player that needs a full time babysitter in Babcock? This guy will also be a poor example to the younger guys coming up the ranks. I'm sure if Babs took Holland under his wing like he has done to Kadri, he would out produce him for half the price. Time to ship this clown off.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Like I have always maintained - people do not change. Kadri has always been a bad apple with a me first attitude. His head shots and off ice issues have been well documented and have resulted in suspensions multiple times. Attempting to retaliate multiple times and ending up on his ass was an embarrassment. No wonder guys like Crosby consider Kadri to be a "joke." Who needs a player that needs a full time babysitter in Babcock? This guy will also be a poor example to the younger guys coming up the ranks. I'm sure if Babs took Holland under his wing like he has done to Kadri, he would out produce him for half the price. Time to ship this clown off.

I've got to disagree with absolutely everything in here...with one exception, I agree Holland would produce more if he was taken under Babs' wing...but I feel Kadri is a more complete player than Holland.

I don't think Kadri is a "me first" guy anymore, he certainly doesn't play that way (with the exception being last night after Gio's hit). Kadri has shown he plays a pretty team oriented game this year.

I like Kadri, always have...would love to keep the kid. I like hie grit, his intensity, just last night it seemed to control him a bit too much...it happens, he'll get past it and move on.

I'm excited to watch the game tomorrow night, it'll be my first live Leafs game (been a fan all my life, but those ticket costs are hard to justify) - I'm pumped.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
I've got to disagree with absolutely everything in here...with one exception, I agree Holland would produce more if he was taken under Babs' wing...but I feel Kadri is a more complete player than Holland.

I don't think Kadri is a "me first" guy anymore, he certainly doesn't play that way (with the exception being last night after Gio's hit). Kadri has shown he plays a pretty team oriented game this year.

I like Kadri, always have...would love to keep the kid. I like hie grit, his intensity, just last night it seemed to control him a bit too much...it happens, he'll get past it and move on.

I'm excited to watch the game tomorrow night, it'll be my first live Leafs game (been a fan all my life, but those ticket costs are hard to justify) - I'm pumped.

Holland would probably put up more points than Kadri given his minutes and PP time. Or at least close enough.
Kadri may be slightly better defensively, but it's not like he played a lick of D prior to this year. If Babs worked with Holland, I'm sure the defensive gap between the two players would be marginal. Plus Holland is stronger along the boards and doesn't get pushed off the puck so easily.
Kadri supposed gritty play only happens the majority of the time is after he is nailed hard by an opponent, and he spends the remainder of the game seeking payback.
Kadri still continues to be a selfish player in my opinion. His high shot totals from bad angles to start the season support this, and he still tries to stick handle/dangle through entire teams.
For a supposed playmaker, 17 assists on the season with top minutes and PP time is nothing to brag about.
Signing a mediocre player like this long term with a history of head shots and off ice issues will be a big mistake. He is not well respected around the league and is not exactly a role model for the young guns either.

Shwaguy*

Good, show some life rather than be a tin man.

Would have rathered him not mess up when he tried to get Gio back, but oh well.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I try to stay out of the Kadri debate as much as possible, but it's hard when he basically throws a temper tantrum every time he gets hit hard or feels he gets a cheap shot and no call is made. You don't see very many pros skate to the bench, slam their stick repeatedly against the boards then slam the gate every time they get knocked hard. You don't see any other Leaf or most players in the league do this. Passion is one thing, but when you spend the rest of the game trying to get back at Giordano, for a clean hit nonetheless, instead of worrying about winning, it is selfish. Girodano basically paid no attention to him and played the game.

I find it hard to believe that some feel there is NO problem with Kadri's maturity or attitude and claim that since he hasn't been disciplined in 10 months, all issues are behind him. I am not even referring to the throat slash gesture, which was stupid, it is the temper tantrums when things aren't going well. This needs to stop. It doesn't fire your team up, it does the opposite. It also let's the other team know your frustrated and they have gotten to you. He's feeding the other team, not his own. The last Leaf that constantly slammed his stick against the boards every time he got frustrated is now in Pittsburgh.

I like Naz's improved 200' game, but he still needs to grow-up as a pro. You didn't see Dion, or Polak, Reilly, JVR etc acting like this. He needs to control his emotions. His role is not to exact revenge, it is to produce offence and limit the other teams. Sadly on that end, his last 13 games are an almost exact mimic of the first 13 games of the season. Last 13 games - 6pts and 8 games held pointless recently while sporting a -5 in his matchups. Worry about that and not running around looking for a revenge hit, which is a guy like Clune's role.

Considering the Leafs are trying to move all long term deals, the only deal I see the Leafs giving out of 5 years or more with a $5+ mil price tag would be Rielly. I would not be surprised to see him get a 5-8 year deal at $5-$5.7. Kadri, all things considered, I still think we are looking at 3-4 years max at $4.7-$5.2 depending on length of term, but he he has to improve on keeping his emotions in check.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Holland would probably put up more points than Kadri given his minutes and PP time. Or at least close enough.
Kadri may be slightly better defensively, but it's not like he played a lick of D prior to this year. If Babs worked with Holland, I'm sure the defensive gap between the two players would be marginal. Plus Holland is stronger along the boards and doesn't get pushed off the puck so easily.
Kadri supposed gritty play only happens the majority of the time is after he is nailed hard by an opponent, and he spends the remainder of the game seeking payback.
Kadri still continues to be a selfish player in my opinion. His high shot totals from bad angles to start the season support this, and he still tries to stick handle/dangle through entire teams.
For a supposed playmaker, 17 assists on the season with top minutes and PP time is nothing to brag about.
Signing a mediocre player like this long term with a history of head shots and off ice issues will be a big mistake. He is not well respected around the league and is not exactly a role model for the young guns either.

So you think Babs works with Kadri and doesn't work with Holland? I don't get it, Babcock coaches the team, not just Kadri.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I try to stay out of the Kadri debate as much as possible, but it's hard when he basically throws a temper tantrum every time he gets hit hard or feels he gets a cheap shot and no call is made. You don't see very many pros skate to the bench, slam their stick repeatedly against the boards then slam the gate every time they get knocked hard. You don't see any other Leaf or most players in the league do this. Passion is one thing, but when you spend the rest of the game trying to get back at Giordano, for a clean hit nonetheless, instead of worrying about winning, it is selfish. Girodano basically paid no attention to him and played the game.

I find it hard to believe that some feel there is NO problem with Kadri's maturity or attitude and claim that since he hasn't been disciplined in 10 months, all issues are behind him. I am not even referring to the throat slash gesture, which was stupid, it is the temper tantrums when things aren't going well. This needs to stop. It doesn't fire your team up, it does the opposite. It also let's the other team know your frustrated and they have gotten to you. He's feeding the other team, not his own. The last Leaf that constantly slammed his stick against the boards every time he got frustrated is now in Pittsburgh.

I like Naz's improved 200' game, but he still needs to grow-up as a pro. You didn't see Dion, or Polak, Reilly, JVR etc acting like this. He needs to control his emotions. His role is not to exact revenge, it is to produce offence and limit the other teams. Sadly on that end, his last 13 games are an almost exact mimic of the first 13 games of the season. Last 13 games - 6pts and 8 games held pointless recently while sporting a -5 in his matchups. Worry about that and not running around looking for a revenge hit, which is a guy like Clune's role.

Considering the Leafs are trying to move all long term deals, the only deal I see the Leafs giving out of 5 years or more with a $5+ mil price tag would be Rielly. I would not be surprised to see him get a 5-8 year deal at $5-$5.7. Kadri, all things considered, I still think we are looking at 3-4 years max at $4.7-$5.2 depending on length of term, but he he has to improve on keeping his emotions in check.

Good post. Agree on everything. Spot on. Well done. Hear hear and all that ;)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If Kadri was so fired up he should have followed up on his threat and fought Giordano. I guess it's easier to threaten someones life from the bench than face to face, especially a guy that would have destroyed him.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I like that he did it. He cares. He shows emotion. Just happened to show some immaturity in his actions. The amount of times "you're dead" gets said in a hockey game wouldn't surprise most people. It was the gesture to get his point across that provided the negative optics.

He may get suspended. Babcock can use it as a learning tool. Move on and improve.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
So you think Babs works with Kadri and doesn't work with Holland? I don't get it, Babcock coaches the team, not just Kadri.

[mod] It has been well documented that Babs has focused on Kadri's development this year and has given him all the opportunity in the world. Meanwhile, Holland was a healthy scratch a few times to start the season and was an afterthought.
At this point, their ppg is awfully close while Kadri plays way more minutes and top PP time.
If Babs were to focus on Holland's development I am sure he would put up better numbers than Kadri for half the price. This is also without Kadri's on ice and off ive antics and suspensions.
You think this clown is a role model for the young guys? Someone who has a history of confrontations with coaches? Someone suspended multiple times for head hunting? Someone who is suspended for off ice issues? Someone who throws temper tantrums after being hit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad