Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
So Matt Porter (who?) reported a rumor? Awesome, the bar for what is fact and fiction is set pretty low eh? and that Sportsnet net article does not quote a single Boston player ... so the rumor that is circulating in the "Hate Babcock" camp, that the Boston players are quoted as saying they were surprised Babcock didn't adjust... remains a made up story. WOW confirmation bias runs strong in Leaf Nation, people maybe next time before you get suckered into click bait, actually do some homework to validate the BS you spread around.

Here is a rumor, Bruce Cassidy said that he was surprised that his team actually beat the Leafs because Mike Babcock is an elite tactician, who is extremely agile and changes his game plan frequently through the game to mitigate the other teams in game adjustments. I can't find the quote but you can believe me because ya know...low bar.

Matt Porter is a sports reporter for the Boston Globe. Not sure who else you want to hear it from. He clearly implied he heard it "from the room" which implies to me someone said it to him off the record.

Whatever. If this is better, I'll say it: Babcock should have given the no. 1 PP unit more time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, I don't understand why it's soooooo upsetting to this poster that we have a difference of opinion, to the point where apparently we are not allowed to have this opinion.

I'm gonna guess you're talking to Pookie/Bluelines. If that's the case, good luck.

Matt Porter is a sports reporter for the Boston Globe. Not sure who else you want to hear it from. He clearly implied he heard it "from the room" which implies to me someone said it to him off the record.

Whatever. If this is better, I'll say it: Babcock should have given the no. 1 PP unit more time.

Load management?

Reactions: kb and HR Pickens

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I'm not one of the people who wants to ship him out no matter what, definitely not giving him away. I'm not sure what his value is though, he's a bit of an enigma to me. It seems a lot of people are interested because they need a centre badly and whatever else, if they don't think his value has plummeted after his suspensions and we can get a good price I'd do it as for a team that wants to win the cup and probably has to go through Boston, to me he just doesn't have that much value any more.

Based on the last couple of years, anyone who can keep from getting suspended in the playoffs is more than equal talent.

o_O I am no Kadri fan...but really...he only deserved the suspension last year...this year was tame and the NHL made a joke of it...DeBrusk just finished laying a dangerous hit on Marleau...he deserved what he got (in fact he probably deserved more) but to say Kadri is some suspension prone hockey player is to ignore his entire past just to focus on 2 years

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
o_O I am no Kadri fan...but really...he only deserved the suspension last year...this year was tame and the NHL made a joke of it...DeBrusk just finished laying a dangerous hit on Marleau...he deserved what he got (in fact he probably deserved more) but to say Kadri is some suspension prone hockey player is to ignore his entire past just to focus on 2 years

I dunno man. I watched it again a few days ago and crosschecking someone in the face is pretty brutal. I'm not going to get into the hit on Marleau as it really doesn't matter who deserved what, if you take the law into your hands you're gonna get punished so the smart thing to do is to use your fists, not your stick. And if you really must use your stick then make sure it stays below the shoulders and whatever you do, don't crosscheck someone in the face. JMHO.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

I’d like to see him play Matthews more, too. I also really like the suggestion of Kadri being given spot shifts on his LW... It’ll be interesting to see if he adjusts Matthews’ usage going forward. Contract kicks in and depth might take a hit so I think adjustments will be necessary.

Babcock certainly isn’t without fault, but replacing him at this point would feel a lot like trying to upgrade your transmission when you’re missing a wheel. Until you get the wheel, how can you know how far that transmission will take you?

Reactions: HR Pickens

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Kadri on the wing is something that should be tried by the Leafs in games. Im all for it. Putting him with some skill like Matthews and Nylander may end up being the calling card to success. I wonder if Kadri would be approached and asked if he would accept. Instead of getting a feisty two way winger with cap money we just use a smaller cap hit for a true 3rd line center.

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnson- FA - Bracco
Moore-Engvall-Marchment

I like that lineup.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Kadri on the wing is something that should be tried by the Leafs in games. Im all for it. Putting him with some skill like Matthews and Nylander may end up being the calling card to success. I wonder if Kadri would be approached and asked if he would accept. Instead of getting a feisty two way winger with cap money we just use a smaller cap hit for a true 3rd line center.

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnson- FA - Bracco
Moore-Engvall-Marchment

I like that lineup.

Yup I do too. Kadri would get more TOI, and would add some jam
But don't see Babcock changing up his template lines

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnson- FA - Bracco
Moore-Engvall-Marchment

I like that lineup.

I'd actually use Kadri with Tavares and Marner. The Knight Line!

Hyman with Matthews and Nylander was a really good mix two seasons ago.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Easiest debate ever.

7 million dollar winger who is good for 60 vs 4.5 million dollar c who is good for 60. Hmmm, who to trade...….

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I dunno man. I watched it again a few days ago and crosschecking someone in the face is pretty brutal. I'm not going to get into the hit on Marleau as it really doesn't matter who deserved what, if you take the law into your hands you're gonna get punished so the smart thing to do is to use your fists, not your stick. And if you really must use your stick then make sure it stays below the shoulders and whatever you do, don't crosscheck someone in the face. JMHO.
I feel like in Kadri's mind the dangerous hit on Marleau was excuse enough for payback for that dangerous knee on knee earlier in the game. Hard to say if he ment to catch him in the face as Debrusk was turning back into Kadri but it obvious looks really bad, he even shoulder checks up ice before he does it (sees Marleau is okay).

Funny part is how Chara is allowed to rag doll Kadri afterwards because of a dirty hit on his teammate while kadri got a full series suspension after a dirty hit on his teammate. Obviously the actions werent similar but chara gets away with murder. Just look at that JT sucker punch as another great example in that series. Directly infront of the ref. Nah good vet play LOL

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnson- FA - Bracco
Moore-Engvall-Marchment

I like that lineup.
Interesting idea for sure.

I would however swap Naz and Hyman to recreate the original Matthews line as well as having a london knights line.

The question is how much will a free agent cost or how much would a trade cost to acquire a suitable 3C (below 3.5 million in cap, can Pk and is a decent two way player).

Edit: I bet kadri would have a lot more hits as a winger lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I feel like in Kadri's mind the dangerous hit on Marleau was excuse enough for payback for that dangerous knee on knee earlier in the game. Hard to say if he ment to catch him in the face as Debrusk was turning back into Kadri but it obvious looks really bad, he even shoulder checks up ice before he does it (sees Marleau is okay).

Funny part is how Chara is allowed to rag doll Kadri afterwards because of a dirty hit on his teammate while kadri got a full series suspension after a dirty hit on his teammate. Obviously the actions werent similar but chara gets away with murder. Just look at that JT sucker punch as another great example in that series. Directly infront of the ref. Nah good vet play LOL

All I know is if Kadri stays, he simply can not get suspended again in the playoffs, period. If that means turning the other cheek, if it means watching his teammates get abused, I don't care. I do not want to lose again and then justify Kadri's actions with the sticking up for teammates excuse. Learn how to drop the gloves and if you can't do that then stop pretending that you're a tough guy.

Interesting idea for sure.

I would however swap Naz and Hyman to recreate the original Matthews line as well as having a london knights line.

The question is how much will a free agent cost or how much would a trade cost to acquire a suitable 3C (below 3.5 million in cap, can Pk and is a decent two way player).

Edit: I bet kadri would have a lot more hits as a winger lol

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Kadri on the wing. We didn't get the most out of him last year, no doubt about it.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

... if this guy is so reputable, why does he not say which player said that? First you have to understand that what is said in the room, stays in the room. It's an accepted rule for all sports locker rooms, reporters do not repeat things that are said in confidence. So you got this dirtbag who is so eager to break the locker room code, he spreads gossip to get clicks.... yep sounds like a guy with integrity to me. Sounds like an honest guy to me ...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Usually, depending on if we did well or not, I am generally tired of a good handful of people. That's never changed. I personally think after a few years of the same issues that are under Babcock's purview - I don't think he's the right coach. Factors you constantly want to dismiss. That's fine. that's your prerogative.

Outside of what happened in game seven or whatever (where, I will add, I usually go. i get i'm emotional, etc etc etc) - I never said he needed to be fired by training camp or anything like that. I simply feel that he's no longer the best coach for this team moving forward. The good things that he does (things I've constantly given him credit for),I personally don't feel outweigh the negative things that is continually cropping up. If those change/gets corrected. great. I can change my mind. - i love it when the team/management can prove me wrong. Yeah. including Kadri. (however. with Kadri, because of the nature of his messups, I don't know if it's wise continually hope that he'll change, and he's of great value as an asset if we trade him. hence why i would move him out).

Only thing remotely i've ever said was that when Q was available, I would have fired Babcock yesterday to hire Q (and I've been saying that since like Pat Quinn was around, because I like Joel Quennville that much). and since i don't know what coach out there would be great (at the moment) who is available. it's why i'm not banging the drum saying "Fire Babcock." you - however keep insisting that I do. so whatever. you keep believing that and whatever else you want to.

If you truly don't think if the Leafs don't get out of the first round next season and there won't be a huge magnifying glass on Babcocks actions, that's fine. You are entitled to that opinion. I don't agree with it. cool.

Elite franchises don't fire coaches for doing a good job, like ever (which. oh, okay that's never. ever. happened ever).

all i am asking at this moment is stop. quoting me regarding this because I am trying very hard to be polite. and how you respond to each and every time is making it very, very hard. and i'd really actually don't want to block you. so. let's just say. you think Babcock is awesome and there is no issues on his part, I do not, and leave it at that.

Do you have the Coles Notes for this post?

I've clearly said in this thread that don't think Babcock is with out fault but he's done an excellent job sheltering and developing talent in the toughest city to play this great game and at the same time made the Leafs one of the better teams in the league. It takes time for teams to build into championship teams, it took Chicago 6 years to build their franchise into a cup winner, Pitts 5 years, LA, 6 years. Mike has been here for 4 years, the first year was a tank job, Mike has brought respectability to our franchise in a very short time frame, 3 years.

Mike has shown respect, stability, integrity and confidence in the short time he has been here, it's a shame that some fans can't emulate the same qualities but I guess some people can't give what they don't have - not directed at you Daisy.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
... if this guy is so reputable, why does he not say which player said that? First you have to understand that what is said in the room, stays in the room. It's an accepted rule for all sports locker rooms, reporters do not repeat things that are said in confidence. So you got this dirtbag who is so eager to break the locker room code, he spreads gossip to get clicks.... yep sounds like a guy with integrity to me. Sounds like an honest guy to me ...

Why can't guys like you ever just say "Thanks man, there totally was evidence about XYZ"?

I have no time for you whatsoever.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
You do that and when it never happens again you look like a fool. Banking on the improbable and making moves accordingly is not a winner's approach to anything. It's an emotional reaction.

Just like people said he wouldn’t do it again and he did. That my friend is looking like a fool. It’s time to move on and look at the bigger picture. It’s not emotional it’s rational.

Reactions: kb

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Just like people said he wouldn’t do it again and he did. That my friend is looking like a fool. It’s time to move on and look at the bigger picture. It’s not emotional it’s rational.
You only think that because it is your position. In a 10 year career he has about 10 seconds worth of playoff game costing brain farts. So you think it is logical to pretend that 10 seconds is his likely behavior.

You might want to look up the word logic.

Now an emotional response is this: "I hate Kadri and he cost us playoff games so we should trade him because he is always going to do this and cost us the cup. We should ruin our cap and keep worse deals so that all the world knows of his heinous crimes..... " comes off a little as a tantrum dude.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I read an interesting tidbit about Lowry today, link and excerpt below. If impulse control counselling helped Lowry evelove from the hothead he once was to the level header professional he is today while not losing even an ounce of the passion he plays with, why couldn't the same happen to Kadri? Lowry was about the same age at the time that Kadri is today - are you paying attention Mr. Shanahan?

Morning Coffee - Wed, Jun 12 - Raptors Republic

Lowry came to Toronto viewed as a malcontent. Masai Ujiri essentially told him as much when the pair had a frank conversation about Lowry’s place in the league in the point guard’s second year with the Raptors. Lowry was entering unrestricted free agency, and Ujiri said that unless Lowry could actually behave and pick his battles, he would become a journeyman who bounced around the league, unable to allow his talent to truly flourish. At the time, Lowry was known for picking fights with coaches — his tiff with Kevin McHale in Houston was part of the reason the Rockets traded Lowry to Toronto in 2012 — and generally being hot-headed. When he was 25, Lowry was charged for misdemeanour battery for throwing a ball at a referee and threatening her during a pickup game in Las Vegas. He pleaded no contest, with the agreement for dismissal necessitating he complete 100 hours of community service and enroll in impulse control counselling.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You only think that because it is your position. In a 10 year career he has about 10 seconds worth of playoff game costing brain farts. So you think it is logical to pretend that 10 seconds is his likely behavior.

You might want to look up the word logic.

Now an emotional response is this: "I hate Kadri and he cost us playoff games so we should trade him because he is always going to do this and cost us the cup. We should ruin our cap and keep worse deals so that all the world knows of his heinous crimes..... " comes off a little as a tantrum dude.

That's not logical, agreed. However, pretending like there is no risk at all when it comes to Kadri/suspensions is equally illogical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad