OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Summer 2022

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s adorable that Poole’s contract has these bonus provisions in addition to a $30 mil average….

$1,000,000 MVP, $1,000,000 DPOY, $500,000 All-NBA, $500,000 All-Def, $500,000 >=65 games + playoff metrics

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It’s adorable that Poole’s contract has these bonus provisions in addition to a $30 mil average….

$1,000,000 MVP, $1,000,000 DPOY, $500,000 All-NBA, $500,000 All-Def, $500,000 >=65 games + playoff metrics
Not sure what he ended up in last nights game here but he's been averaging 22 points a game coming off the bench.

15 losses in a row the blue tank continues.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It's March, the weather is getting warmer, days are lengthening and so it's time to return to obsessing over our golf swings.

Today's topic: wrist action in the golf swing. Different for irons vs hybrids vs driver, or basically the same. Pronate; supinate; flex; bow. So much instruction, which if you diagramed it would look like something like the below:

Discuss

Attachments

• 1709731796318.png
    1709731796318.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: Cappy76

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's March, the weather is getting warmer, days are lengthening and so it's time to return to obsessing over our golf swings.

Today's topic: wrist action in the golf swing. Different for irons vs hybrids vs driver, or basically the same. Pronate; supinate; flex; bow. So much instruction, which if you diagramed it would look like something like the below:

Discuss

Oh dear lort. Here be dragons.

I don't think it should be any different from club to club other than the general angle of attack of the clubhead into the ball (slightly up with driver as in trying to hit the ball at a target high in the air, vs ball first then down through the ground at a few degrees downward for short irons and wedges, usually).

The reality though is you can do almost anything during 90% of the swing as long as you get to a good position just before "release" and impact. People who swing closer to "on plane" will have an easier time managing all of these variables and likely need to do less with the wrists in general. I can't physically get into those positions so I adjust elsewhere.

Club fitting is also a factor. If your clubs are too flat you may find yourself setting up with very low hands and a feeling that you have to really flip the club through to get good contact. Same goes for grip. More in the hands or fingers will affect this, and it can be a function of club fitting. See Moe Norman for a guy who had his clubs specially designed so he could stay exactly on one plane. The rest of us have to compensate to some degree.

These days I'm trying very hard to not be a "flipper" in any way so I'm delofting more, hands ahead more, less overall CONSCIOUS wrist action in general for the sake of consistency (the trade off in accuracy vs distance is not worth it wrt flipping). But at the same time I still use my hands and consciously try to manage the face angle at impact and through, but as part of an overall swing gestalt.

Look at DJ's position at the top and how he sort of drags it through. That's an extreme example. I can't get close to that and don't think about it at the top.

This is also because I've been focusing on making a free swing and hitting the ball FIRST, and then worrying about accuracy AT THE LAST INSTANT.

I've found this to be much more rewarding and easier to manage, and you don't have to think about the wrists because you're not thinking about HOW to swing AT ALL. By focusing only on an external cue (like a visualization of the clubhead through the ball and down the line) and ONLY at the moment of impact and through, I've had good results including in competition.

tl'dr: maybe don't think about the wrists or all that Charlie Day & Milhouse reverse vampires shit and just hit it ;)

Reactions: marcel snapshot

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Another thing to consider is whether you're hitting off of turf or mats.

IMO mats can be EXTREMELY deceptive and a big reason why winter practice can sabotage early spring return to play.

Here's a vid of a clean iron strike (you will have to click the vid links to watch on youtube, apparently):

Ball first, then turf.

With mats you can hit slightly (or well) behind the ball and STILL slide into it with relatively little change to the behavior of the clubhead.

Here are some pretty terrible iron shots on a mat. In addition to the scooping and instability, you can see the mat actually rippling as the club slides into the ball. On grass (especially wet/soft) these shots would be massive chunks. On a mat you can get a decent result that will NOT translate to the golf course.

I don't have the vid handy but there are some where you can actually spot some daylight beneath the ball as the mat is pressed down and the ball essentially hovers in the air, waiting to be struck higher on the face than you'd get away with on turf (where you would have likely just hit it so fat your divot would fly further than the ball).

What does this have to do with the wrist question, or anything else?

The point here is that shit you try on mats may not work on the golf course, including various wristy moves.

You may blame "Ranger Rick" syndrome and think "If I could only take my game from the range to the course", believing it's just mental, but that may not be the case. It might be the surface you practice on.

That said, you can still practice off of mats and get benefit, more so with woods than irons, but you have to be mindful of your contact quality. This is easier with muscle backs (what people call blades though that's not what blade means) than cavity backs because of the feedback.

But beware soft tissue injuries. Some mats are way harder than they need to be, with concrete slabs as a base, and little or worn padding. Shoulder, elbow, and wrist pain can result.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
16 in a row
Damnit were they playing tonight? No its ruined... Just kidding I still watch at least a half even when they lose.

Finally found for promoting prospects early there are some draft pick inducements.

How do clubs earn PPI picks?

In short, an MLB club can earn a Draft pick after the first round if a PPI-eligible player accrues one year of service as a rookie and then factors into a major award. That means he either has to win his league’s Rookie of the Year award or place in the top three in MVP or Cy Young voting prior to qualifying for arbitration.

But there are a few ways that can happen. One year of service requires 172 days on an active roster, which means …

Players with little or no MLB service time need to break camp with the team or be called up within two weeks of Opening Day. Then they must spend all or most of the year in the big leagues. Then they must either win their league’s Rookie of the Year award, or place in the top three for MVP or Cy Young.
Players who made an Opening Day roster and accrued the service time but didn’t factor in any awards that year retain PPI eligibility. They need to place in the top three for MVP or Cy Young before hitting arbitration. That typically allows for a three-year window.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
"Zards beat Miami now have an amazing two game win streak. Now 2nd worst team in the league.

I ran the lottery simulator and, with the worst record, they moved to 4th or 5th in the draft most runs. They barely ever won it.

Problem is, the stupid lottery system treats the #1,2,3 worst teams all the same in terms of odds. Moving to 2nd worse doesn't change anything for them. Can't be any dumber than that.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I ran the lottery simulator and, with the worst record, they moved to 4th or 5th in the draft most runs. They barely ever won it.

Problem is, the stupid lottery system treats the #1,2,3 worst teams all the same in terms of odds. Moving to 2nd worse doesn't change anything for them. Can't be any dumber than that.
The tank hate must of been real when they they implemented these last changes. I don't understand the logic of having the three bottom teams with the same chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad