OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Fall 2020-Spring 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Cant beat a team that makes 75 3’s. Maryland didn’t play that bad, they were just totally outmanned.

40-19 in rebounds against , 16!-33 on 3’s, didn’t miss a FT. And UMD is considered a good defensive team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Saw that...

just like Rory screwing up his game chasing Bryson....these dudes are their own worst enemy so often with swing changes. Most understand things almost too well from a mechanics perspective that they tinker all the time. Add a swing coach and it’s just another mind constantly trying to tear down and rebuild in search of optimization.

Reactions: Ajax1995 and g00n

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Lots of guys will now try to chase Bryson. And it isn’t idiotic. The guy has changed how people view the game. IF you have the hands and feel and natural swing talent — but are a little lacking — bulk the shit out of yourself and shorten the hell out of the course.

BD is exhibit A

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t say it was idiotic, but it may work for some and will probably fail for many IMO.

I don’t expect we’re going to see the PGA fields full of muscled/super bulked up guys, although I think these guys are evolving big-time in fitness.

Remember his oddity of (all the same) club lengths are also a big help coming out of the rough.....as I heard it explained one broadcast, that allows for a steeper hitting angle. Other Pro’s will be loath to make that swap IMO.

Goon probably has a good opinion on that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I didn’t say it was idiotic, but it may work for some and will probably fail for many IMO.

I don’t expect we’re going to see the PGA fields full of muscled/super bulked up guys, although I think these guys are evolving big-time in fitness.

Remember his oddity of (all the same) club lengths are also a big help coming out of the rough.....as I heard it explained one broadcast, that allows for a steeper hitting angle. Other Pro’s will be loath to make that swap IMO.

Not sure about good but I have a long one.

There's always a big hitter everyone is chasing going all the way back to at least Ted Ray 100 years ago. More distance helps but shorter hitters who are already good can mess themselves up trying to add too much distance. Happens a lot. But guys like Rory are already long so for him I don't see the point of chasing BD's distance beyond ego.

Second to that in potential mistakes is trying to change dominant shot shape. Many never recover when they start crossing themselves up. Jack would prep for the Masters weeks in advance, trying to hit a draw instead of his fade. Tiger can do either on demand. Guys that can't get lost.

They talk about lengthening courses (again) or rolling back equipment to deal with pro length and that's a mistake. You can't do that to the casual golfer so you'd need separate rules/balls for pros. But every time there's a schism in the rules like that it hurts the game, imo. People crave a unified, simple rulebook. So stop f***ing with the ball or COR of the clubhead and just GROW THE ROUGH on tour, and narrow the fairways. Put the premium on accuracy and distance loses its edge.

Regarding BD's one-length clubs, I tried it by cutting down some clubs maybe 15-20 years ago but didn't have the Mitchell machine to adjust lie/loft, or ability to modify swingweight as BD has done. So my one-length set wasn't all that. But if done correctly as BD has shown it could change the game for many people. I recall reading somewhere that Hogan had a set like that, and I'm guessing that's where he got the idea, too.

The caveat is I think all his lengths are standard 6 iron which is around 37.5 inches (give or take due to model/manufacturer). That means your PW is going to be about 2 inches longer than normal. It might be weird for some people to get used to but I can see something of an advantage with maybe a 3 through 5 iron coming out of the rough with a more upright attack.

The other issue to worry about with shorter long irons is you're going to have less loft to get the distance, I believe. Less loft means less backspin and more sidespin, which is harder to hit straight. CG may also be custom to get the right launch, and spin.

You also have to have BD's one-plane swing to really benefit from his changes. It's kind of a modified Moe Norman approach (later repackaged somewhat as Natural Golf). I've experimented with all of this stuff but never gone "full Moe" like BD has.

He's got advanced training techniques and an entourage of others helping him, plus all the gear advantages. Some of the machines he's using...it's sci fi shit...mechanical swing simulators that can digitally change your plane, the club type, everything based on programmed presets...totally nuts. And he's keeping that extension/arc as long as possible while delaying the load of the wrist cock, before just pummeling the ball on that single plane.

He's basically turned himself into an Iron Byron. Few of us have the time or resources. But we can buy his clubs, I guess.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

I know you didn’t say idiotic. That was me pontificating on the discussion. It’s brilliant for Bryson.

but he certainly won’t the be only one. Trailblazer here

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

There's always a big hitter everyone is chasing going all the way back to at least Ted Ray 100 years ago. More distance helps but shorter hitters who are already good can mess themselves up trying to add too much distance. Happens a lot. But guys like Rory are already long so for him I don't see the point of chasing BD's distance beyond ego.

Second to that in potential mistakes is trying to change dominant shot shape. Many never recover when they start crossing themselves up. Jack would prep for the Masters weeks in advance, trying to hit a draw instead of his fade. Tiger can do either on demand. Guys that can't get lost.

They talk about lengthening courses (again) or rolling back equipment to deal with pro length and that's a mistake. You can't do that to the casual golfer so you'd need separate rules/balls for pros. But every time there's a schism in the rules like that it hurts the game, imo. People crave a unified, simple rulebook. So stop f***ing with the ball or COR of the clubhead and just GROW THE ROUGH on tour, and narrow the fairways. Put the premium on accuracy and distance loses its edge.

Regarding BD's one-length clubs, I tried it by cutting down some clubs maybe 15-20 years ago but didn't have the Mitchell machine to adjust lie/loft, or ability to modify swingweight as BD has done. So my one-length set wasn't all that. But if done correctly as BD has shown it could change the game for many people. I recall reading somewhere that Hogan had a set like that, and I'm guessing that's where he got the idea, too.

The caveat is I think all his lengths are standard 6 iron which is around 37.5 inches (give or take due to model/manufacturer). That means your PW is going to be about 2 inches longer than normal. It might be weird for some people to get used to but I can see something of an advantage with maybe a 3 through 5 iron coming out of the rough with a more upright attack.

The other issue to worry about with shorter long irons is you're going to have less loft to get the distance, I believe. Less loft means less backspin and more sidespin, which is harder to hit straight. CG may also be custom to get the right launch, and spin.

You also have to have BD's one-plane swing to really benefit from his changes. It's kind of a modified Moe Norman approach (later repackaged somewhat as Natural Golf). I've experimented with all of this stuff but never gone "full Moe" like BD has.

He's got advanced training techniques and an entourage of others helping him, plus all the gear advantages. Some of the machines he's using...it's sci fi shit...mechanical swing simulators that can digitally change your plane, the club type, everything based on programmed presets...totally nuts. And he's keeping that extension/arc as long as possible while delaying the load of the wrist cock, before just pummeling the ball on that single plane.

He's basically turned himself into an Iron Byron. Few of us have the time or resources. But we can buy his clubs, I guess.

good stuff, as expected.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

I’ve been fortunate to have played golf since I was 6. So not as early as some, but earlier than most.

and I was taught — really taught — how to deal w club length and the different swings that came w it. I was taught how to grip it a certain way, how to adjust my feet and my stance based on the lengths of the club that I had in my hands . Where to place the ball in my stance (forward or backward)....again, based on the club angle and length of the club.

so......

imagine me at 6 being taught to use the same length club, but with different angles to it, and how to adjust my swing/stance accordingly.

I’d be a totally different player. Any of us that started at that age would be.

better or worse? Dunno.

but for the record I’m 6’2” and my 7 iron has ALWAYS felt like my natural swing. Easily most comfortable and most likely to do what I wanted it to do.

if every angled club felt like that?

hmmmmmm

and don’t get me into the angle of head vs the shaft and the whippiness of the club. So many variables. That I didn't have or think about at 6

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’ve been fortunate to have played golf since I was 6. So not as early as some, but earlier than most.

and I was taught — really taught — how to deal w club length and the different swings that came w it. I was taught how to grip it a certain way, how to adjust my feet and my stance based on the lengths of the club that I had in my hands . Where to place the ball in my stance (forward or backward)....again, based on the club angle and length of the club.

so......

imagine me at 6 being taught to use the same length club, but with different angles to it, and how to adjust my swing/stance accordingly.

I’d be a totally different player. Any of us that started at that age would be.

better or worse? Dunno.

but for the record I’m 6’2” and my 7 iron has ALWAYS felt like my natural swing. Easily most comfortable and most likely to do what I wanted it to do.

if every angled club felt like that?

hmmmmmm

and don’t get me into the angle of head vs the shaft and the whippiness of the club. So many variables. That I didn't have or think about at 6

Ah, another golf casualty. ;) I started very, very late and am self-taught, shooting par in my 2nd year (and not all the time or much better since lol), so I've tinkered probably more than most. My kid is getting a 3pc junior set for her 3rd b-day next week. Not a pushy golf dad, but she already has interest so why not.

I'm looking at some specs and it appears the model of one-length may determine how much lie variation there is. I can't understand why some would have consistent length but still vary the lie angle. Supposedly the F7 is all the same lie or close but others I viewed were progressive.

The lie difference from a PW to 3i in a standard set is going to be around 4 degrees total, which doesn't seem like much but it's enough to throw off a shot. In my experience a 1-1.5* error for just about any variable is pushing the limit of what you can do with face angle or path or angle of attack (depending on club) and not end up in the shit. Toe down or up from lie angle affects that, potentially.

Lie comes in based on how people swing and release, too. The old height vs wrist-to-floor measurements used to be the static standard, but dynamic fitting (when your swing is SET, not when you're changing it) is always best (lie boards, video, digital tools, seeing ballflight, etc).

I think lie angle factors in more the better you are, since poor players rarely repeat a swing.

For those who struggle with consistent contact (and maybe some better players to an extent) the LENGTH of the club is what causes problems. The ~3 inches in difference from wedge to 3i (or hybrid which can be longer) totally changes the feel, the relationship to the sweet spot, the ground...everything. And since we rarely hit two similar length clubs in a row on the course (hopefully), adjusting to a different length club for each shot is one of the toughest skills to master (and something few people practice on the range).

At 6'2" you would likely want a fitting as there's probably some manufacturer or custom fitting translation needed to get you to what YOU consider your comfortable 7i length. BD has said his irons were built based on his 6i length but Cobra seems to have modified that to "standard" 7i for the genpop, which I would guess is probably not the same as your 7i since there's so much variation.

Their explanation of the tech:

ONE LENGTH - How it Works

But yeah, it might seem weird to change a lifelong habit wrt a standard set. As noted in previous post, the mucking with the swingweight and CG to compensate for the change to the club length could take some getting used to. Staring at a PW distance shot with a more-lofted 7i (your new PW) would be strange at first.

So consistent lie and length could feel more natural for a kid vs an experienced adult. Not sure how much of an advantage it becomes if ALL kids are doing it, tho.

As a side note, BD uses graphite shafts in his irons which is very, very unusual for men, nevermind long hitters and especially tour pros. I guess it gives him higher swing speed and if the swingweight is right, and the shaft flex/deflection/torque/etc is fine, then who cares (swingweight is not the same as club weight, the former being more about feel).

Man I need to get out on the course more.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
As an aside— and I know this will get scoffed at by many — I’ve had the same set of irons since I started college in 1987. Ping Eye2’s, white dot, steel shaft.

I started back then w the standard 3i thru SW. Over the years I added the 1i and 2i. But they aren’t in the bag now as I moved away from long irons and got a hybrid I like to augment the space between my 3W and the 4i.

also added a slew of wedges. Cleveland 56 and 60. And a 64 was my newest add. Changed drivers and woods many many times over the years— but never the PingEye2’s. My grandfather (my namesake) bought them for me — he passed a few years later — so while I love hitting them, there is sentimentality to it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad