OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Fall 2020-Spring 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If that was at Congressional, I was there too. Didn't see his hole in one, but was camped out on one hole to watch all the groups go by. Even then, Arnie's Army was massive compared to everyone else. I wanna say Ray Floyd was leading at the time, and Arnie had more fans following him than anyone.

it was....I got the tickets as a gift for my Dad for Father’s Day.

I saw the whole thing....incredible roar.

Sep 19, 2008

Shephard

iu

Reactions: Ridley Simon

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Never read that one, but the books I found the best we all of Harvey Penick's books, the Little Red Book and his other two follow-ups. They are much more about strategy and mindset than they are about specific swing techniques, although there's plenty of technical stuff there too. One of the things he talks about a lot is pace and tempo, and how your daily routine prior to the round will govern your pace and tempo on the course. He tells you to slow down your morning prep, your drive to the course, your putting on the golf shoes, do everything slowly and deliberately to se you mind to a calm place which leads to relaxed swings and better results. I think we all know how tension kills a golf game. I took it to heart and practiced slowing everything down and it helped a ton.

Later on, I had a roommate who we played golf together, he used to get amped up before golf like it was a football game. Fist pumps, rushing to the range, the works. He had a good game, good swing, but made too many mistakes and his putting was inconsistent. I walked him through Penick's "slow down" approach and he tried it one day with me. He shot his first round in the 70s (a 78) and he was ecstatic. He bought all the beers at the 19th that day :)

Footnote, Ben Crenshaw winning the Masters right after Penick died (Penick was Crenshaw's coach since he was a kid) was the closest I will ever come to believing in ghosts. What an incredible golf moment!

LRB is very good for headspace. I have the paperback and audiobook. I agree a lot of the mental and philosophical stuff HP put forth was timeless. "Take dead aim" is classic and requires some zen-like exploration to fully understand.

But have to be careful about older instructionals sometimes since a lot of the "wisdom" of the past has later been proven wrong.

For instance, as recently as 10 years ago a lot of people still thought the path of the clubhead determined the starting line of the golf ball. Now, given launch monitor and super slow motion tech, we know that very generally ~85% of the starting line is from the FACE ANGLE, and the path contributes the rest, depending on club and some other factors.

"Golf My Way" by Nicklaus was my 2nd Bible behind Hogan's "Five Lessons" for years, until I found some flaws in the principles. In GMW Jack repeats the "path as starting line" myth. Hogan's "fundamentals" could be described as his personal fundamentals, as developed over many years, and modified to stop his hook. So for any non-hooker mimicking him the likely product was worsening of a slice.

But this shit worked for them pretty obviously. The best players are often NOT the best teachers. There's actually a term for this phenomenon in sports psychology but I can't recall it right now. Basically the more you pass tasks to the deeper regions of your brain and make them unconscious the more proficient you are, and the harder it is to convey them. As you think about them you may find you lose the ability to execute. And top performers have learned to NOT think about them as a result.

So when Bobby Jones or someone else just talks about turning away from the ball or whatever, it seems overly simple but that's all they think about. The rest is grooved.

I have another story about my ace that dovetails with the golf vs spirituality bit but this is long enough for now.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
My short game tip...

I think I got this from Jack Nicklaus Lesson Tee book, which is actually a cartoon drawn instruction manual, its terrific. It basically says you have 10-11 different lofted clubs for a reason, so you can have one swing, one tempo, consistently and let the difference in club do the work of adjusting for loft and distance.. makes sense, but while most people use it for the long game, when it comes to the short game people tend to have 5 or 6 different swing techniques or speeds or swing lengths that they use with the pitching wedge - basically using the PW from 120 yards out to the fringe and varying the swing speed or backswing length. Jack says this is wrong, and instead to practice 3 swings - the full swing at full tempo, a half swing at normal tempo, and basically what amounts to a putting stroke with the wedge through longer irons. @Ridley Simon mentions using a full swing with a 64 and that's what I'm referring to. Use a full swing, dial up the loft, when you are less than a pitching wedge out but too long for a chip. Once you get to chipping range, use ONE chip swing with a range of clubs, not a variable speed/backswing approach with the PW. It will build consistency in the short game by mastering one pitch swing.

When you get around the green, especially within 5-10 feet of it, the object is to land the ball on the green as soon as possible and let it roll to the hole the rest of the way. But you want to use the same stroke for all these shots regardless of the distance from the fringe to the pin and that motion should be a putting swing. So when you are say 5 feet off the green, and the pin is 5 feet from the fringe, use a putting motion with a high lofted club like a SW or 60 or 64, you want to loft it 6 feet then roll 4 feet to the pin. But if you are 5 feet off and the pin is 20 feet from the fringe, use the same motion with a 7 or 8 iron. The ball will land inside the fringe and roll the remaining 15 feet. If the pin is on the opposite end of the green, say 40-50 feet, use the same putting motion and a 3-5 iron. The ball will loft 5 feet then roll the remaining 40 feet. Practice this same putting style stroke with lofted irons and low irons from around the fringe to get a feel for your loft/roll ratios. It helps sooooo much to use one consistent swing whenever possible, I found this shaved strokes off my game as much as anything. People would see me take a 5 iron from the fringe and roll it to within 1 putt range, while they take a pitching wedge and try to finesse some quarter swing they've never practiced, then chunk or skull it and end up just adding strokes.

Obviously there are variables like slope of the green, grain direction and your ball's lie - using a putting motion only works with a good clean lie. But the point Jack makes is, don't make up a new swing on the course. Use a full swing, a half swing and a putting motion, and that will cover every shot you may ever need, if you select the right club. And using a 4 iron from 4 feet off the green is a perfectly fine selection if the pin is 60 feet away. Much much more consistent than trying to chip the ball to the pin in the air most of the way.

Anyway, worked well for me.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
LRB is very good for headspace. I have the paperback and audiobook. I agree a lot of the mental and philosophical stuff HP put forth was timeless. "Take dead aim" is classic and requires some zen-like exploration to fully understand.

But have to be careful about older instructionals sometimes since a lot of the "wisdom" of the past has later been proven wrong.

For instance, as recently as 10 years ago a lot of people still thought the path of the clubhead determined the starting line of the golf ball. Now, given launch monitor and super slow motion tech, we know that very generally ~85% of the starting line is from the FACE ANGLE, and the path contributes the rest, depending on club and some other factors.

"Golf My Way" by Nicklaus was my 2nd Bible behind Hogan's "Five Lessons" for years, until I found some flaws in the principles. In GMW Jack repeats the "path as starting line" myth. Hogan's "fundamentals" could be described as his personal fundamentals, as developed over many years, and modified to stop his hook. So for any non-hooker mimicking him the likely product was worsening of a slice.

But this shit worked for them pretty obviously. The best players are often NOT the best teachers. There's actually a term for this phenomenon in sports psychology but I can't recall it right now. Basically the more you pass tasks to the deeper regions of your brain and make them unconscious the more proficient you are, and the harder it is to convey them. As you think about them you may find you lose the ability to execute. And top performers have learned to NOT think about them as a result.

So when Bobby Jones or someone else just talks about turning away from the ball or whatever, it seems overly simple but that's all they think about. The rest is grooved.

I have another story about my ace that dovetails with the golf vs spirituality bit but this is long enough for now.

Interesting... I always thought club line determined the spin and face angle determined the launch path, so the combination of the two determined if you hit a hook, draw, straight, fade or slice. I think Jack makes this point about face angle vs path and tries to urge people to learn to master either the fade or the draw but not shoot for always hitting straight.

Also, yeah HP's books are soo spot on for head space and mental state. Take dead aim... I have use this tip from him since the moment I read it. For any full swing, stand behind the ball and line up your "dead aim" target with a blade of grass a few feet in front of the ball. So your target, the blade of grass and the ball all make a straight line. Then take aim over the ball using the blade of grass you selected. Its much easier to perfectly align with something 5 feet from you, then 400 feet from you. Once I've picked out the blade of grass, I don't need to look at the fairway or green again. That whole idea of turning your head 90 degrees to see where you're aiming always seemed strange to me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Besides the threads during and right after the Cup run, this golf talk has been my favorite thread on HFCaps. The stories and the tips have been great.

I bought PGA Tour 2k21 a few months ago after a few bourbons but never played it and all this golf talk is making me want to give it a shot tonight.

dying to know if it’s as buggy for you...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I liked LRB back in the day. With Crenshaw on Tour it was a constant reminder of Harvey.

Golf My Way I only liked small parts. Hogan’s 5 I find similar. Good to have read, but not sure I ever used a ton of the knowledge.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting... I always thought club line determined the spin and face angle determined the launch path, so the combination of the two determined if you hit a hook, draw, straight, fade or slice. I think Jack makes this point about face angle vs path and tries to urge people to learn to master either the fade or the draw but not shoot for always hitting straight.

Also, yeah HP's books are soo spot on for head space and mental state. Take dead aim... I have use this tip from him since the moment I read it. For any full swing, stand behind the ball and line up your "dead aim" target with a blade of grass a few feet in front of the ball. So your target, the blade of grass and the ball all make a straight line. Then take aim over the ball using the blade of grass you selected. Its much easier to perfectly align with something 5 feet from you, then 400 feet from you. Once I've picked out the blade of grass, I don't need to look at the fairway or green again. That whole idea of turning your head 90 degrees to see where you're aiming always seemed strange to me.

I’ve tried that “pick an intermediate target” thing before. I had varied success. Last few years, I’ve gone the opposite based on Rotella’s book. I pick my target and then actually aim above it now....so I’ll pick the top of the tree right behind my target or something else high up. It seems to work for me for whatever reason.

Also, I’ve stopped doing any kind of club or grip adjustment when I’m standing over the ball. It allows me to be set, and step up and hit without delay....lessens bad thoughts from creeping into my head standing over the ball.

Look at the target once and be aggressive on the swing is my only swing thought now when I’m on.

Reactions: g00n

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Look at the target once and be aggressive on the swing is my only swing thought now when I’m on.

Funny story.... I was a single assigned to a group of three once, two brothers and their father, Mexican guys, all hilarious. The dad had a long pre shot routine... at one point he's standing over the ball, gyrating and gesticulating away... one of his sons says "hurry up old man". The dad says "Be quiet kid, I'm going through my checklist, I'm only up to step 7". We all crack up, then he crushes one deep down the middle.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’ve tried that “pick an intermediate target” thing before. I had varied success. Last few years, I’ve gone the opposite based on Rotella’s book. I pick my target and then actually aim above it now....so I’ll pick the top of the tree right behind my target or something else high up. It seems to work for me for whatever reason.

Also, I’ve stopped doing any kind of club or grip adjustment when I’m standing over the ball. It allows me to be set, and step up and hit without delay....lessens bad thoughts from creeping into my head standing over the ball.

I've gone through so many contortions on the intermediate target it's disgusting. Overall I found a few issues with it.

One was the parallax effect. If you stand behind the ball and alternate closing eyes you can shift your perception of what's really on line with the ball and the target. Since my eyes are 2 different prescriptions this makes it much worse to pinpoint an exact spot on the ground, and then associate it with an exact spot on the ball, and get along side the ball and still feel like I'm lined up.

Second problem is orienting myself to that spot, and now questionable line. If you let your mind get running you can talk yourself into too many shifts in perspective, reference points, etc. When you start thinking about a 1 inch area of compression and a 1-2 degree margin of error on a line that must extend 250+ yds into the distance, the accuracy of the IT you've picked starts to become highly suspect. I've even tried to pick a dimple on the front side of the ball to hit through before.

Third is the tendency to try and micromanage the impact zone relative to that IT, which can make the swing constipated and destroy the flow, among other problems.

This is just me, though. Others may love it. I've had some great rounds just using an IT and never even looking back at the target (which is good if you're getting nervous about water etc).

But lately I've just been trying to line up my shoulders at the target via feel and sight while over the ball, and then make a nice balanced swing. Seems to be working.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Funny story.... I was a single assigned to a group of three once, two brothers and their father, Mexican guys, all hilarious. The dad had a long pre shot routine... at one point he's standing over the ball, gyrating and gesticulating away... one of his sons says "hurry up old man". The dad says "Be quiet kid, I'm going through my checklist, I'm only up to step 7". We all crack up, then he crushes one deep down the middle.

Guys who take all day over the ball kill me. I'm a fast player. Maybe too fast. I can walk 18 in like 2-2.5hrs depending on the course. So someone with an achingly Smails-like preshot drives me bananas.

We had a senior in one regular group who was an all-American multi-sport athlete in his heyday, but couldn't master golf to save his life. His preshot was soooooooooo slooooooow you could practically hear the checklist being ticked off while watching the leaves turn color.

But the worst ever was some rando we linked up with at a muni. His name was Bruce and I've never seen anyone go through so much shit or take so long over the ball. From then on we called taking too long "Brucing it up".

At the same course we met "Kang", who was an older Korean guy sporting a bag full of nothing but 6 irons. Every time he hit a shot he'd fall backwards and yell "SHIT GODDAMN!!"

We got some mileage out of that, too.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I always jokingly say “I may suck, but I’m fast” on the course....lol.

I’m a Huuuuuge believer in a set pre-shot routine. Whatever it is....but yeah if you’re over the ball more than 5 seconds....I’m like WTF in my head if it continues on.

I’m with you Goon....I can blow through a course in a good 2:30 and not feel rushed if I’m with one buddy or alone. I love getting out and getting a round in before noon.

Golf story...

Back in the day, I had a playing partner, one of our foursome, we’re at Penderbrook, 17th hole, par 5 we’re on the green putting out, I happen to look back in the fairway, 200+ out some donkey hits into us. I call out to my group, they all turn, it one hops on the green, then tags one of my friends smack dab in the middle of his forehead. Dropped him like a rock. We had to bail on 18, once we could pour him into a cart and take him to the ER.....good times lol.

back then the diagnosis was “yep, you got knocked the F out”....they gave him a bandage and an ice pack and told us to keep an eye on him lol....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Curtis Strange did an annual charity tournament here and I saw him play in his prime. I never saw a tour event though I tried to go to the Kemper a couple of times.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I marshaled the US Open at Congressional and a couple of my most lasting memories of it are during the one of the practice rounds Charley Hoffman’s caddy was given Chez Reavie crap on the 10th tee for putting a ring on his girlfriend’s finger, he was saying ‘what did you knock her up or something’ and everyone was laughing and having a good time. And another was as they were walking from the 10th tee towards the fairway Webb Simpson and his caddy were having a heated Jordan or LeBron who’s better conversation.

Both of those scenes could have been me and my buddies on the course and made me think they weren’t too different than I am, just a heck of a lot better at golf.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
My tour outings:

2008 AT&T National at Congressional
2011 US Open at Congressional
2018 Quicken Loans National at TPC Potomac at Avenel Farm

and

2015 Open Championship at St. Andrews :heart:

Don't have that many cool golf stories, unfortunately. Following the Tiger swarm, even when he wasn't in contention at Avenel Farm was pretty special. Just a groundswell of energy. Troy Merritt gave my kid a ball at Avenel Farm. That was cool. I also randomly got putting advice on a college football recruiting message board from Lucas Glover.

It's been a very lean 18 months for me with the sticks. Went from playing weekly, including 2 tournaments a month on a DC area Amateur Tour in 2019 to getting an elbow infection in the OBX that knocked me off the course for 2 months to being too spooked by COVID to even go to the range.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I definitely would attend the Kemper, Booz Allen, AT&T, Quicken Loans local DC event most years.

I was at Congressional that year for the Booz Allen and Sabbatini and Crane were paired together in the final round and Sabbatini was so pissed off about Crane’s slow play, and his own play frankly, that when they were coming down the old par 4 17th, now 18th, that he was waiting by the green when Crane was walking off the tee box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad