OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
The Nationals can't afford him. It's fine. He's been a class act so he won't burn bridges on his way out but he has to go play somewhere else now. The team is more than just Harper. Be gone mercenary is right.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You really think where the Wiz are and with Wall’s contract there is a trade out there involving him where the Wiz end up with the best player?

If that is your threshold for making a deal there is simply no deal to be made IMO.

If they can get 2 or 3 good young players with some upside for a selfish cancer with an anchor of a contract they shouldn’t think twice because as a long as he is the leader of your team you are going nowhere.

yes, this is it. Problem is Wall's contract becomes a lot harder to trade -- I beleive -- once the new terms kick in, as its got a 15% escalator. If they are going to deal him and attempt to make a mark, it needs to be ASAP.

Hence why I wanted Grunfeld fired already. Some disagreed with me (Looking at you, @Hivemind ). But whatever. If you can get 3 young pieces back and get clear of Wall's monster contract, you do it. And you KNOW that you arent getting the best player back...thats obvious to me, I get it (@Bananas). However, the team is toast as is, and it seems Wall has become a true discontent. Not quite Arenas level, but getting there. AND he's injury prone.

I was wondering to myself the other day if Wall being here was actually a "turn off" to Durant. Players know the score about how other players are to play with....so moving Wall might actually open more FA doors for the Wizards down the line. That and dealing Porter's contract. If you get Ball, Caldwell-Pope, and Kuzma....you dont need Porter. Or Morris.

You keep Oubre. Starting 5 of Ball, Beal, Kuzma, Oubre, and Bryant would be super athletic. Back-ups are Satoransky, Green, Rivers, Dekker, Caldwell-Pope, Mahimni/Howard, and the new kid drafted last year --Brown Jr., would have some pieces.

Would also have a lot of cap space as Porter, Wall, Morris would all be off the books. Only "bad" contract left would be Mahimni.

That said, Fire Ernie!

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
John Wall’s career is at a crossroads for sure. But he still has a lot of value and if a good support system was installed around him - from the GM right on down through the coaches and players - I’m sure he could get motivated.

In my opinion Wall’s decline and “cancer” label are the symptoms of organizational unhealthiness, not the cause.

Trade Grungus first. Then let everything flow from there. It’s certianly what the incoming GM would want and if there’s a time crunch because of contract issues, fire him immediately. It’s clear as day that Grungus is in over his head. Letting him continue to grasp at straws during his death rattle would be total folly....

Reactions: Hivemind

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Heard this was done because he is expected to get 9mil this offseason through arbitration and the Nats didn't want to pay that. That, and this is what they should of done with Gio last year.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Heard this was done because he is expected to get 9mil this offseason through arbitration and the Nats didn't want to pay that. That, and this is what they should of done with Gio last year.

Issue was they had to re-fill their roster quota of "Tanner's" (as per MLB Rules 375.03 - PR12), so they had limited options for returns. They seemed to have done pretty well here.....all things considered.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Wiz get two 2nd rounders, both of which Ernie will promptly trade away, or will use to get a couple of Euro's to stash away for who knows how long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad