Nationwide Arena/CBJ Finances Discussion II

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fitrakis is basically the Columbus version of Lyndon Larouche.

Recognized the name as soon as I saw it, and, yeah, I don't think I could have put it any better. If it truly is him "leading the charge" against the Nat, then I have absolutely no worries at all.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Kinda saw this coming when they suddenly started to quit their whining over the arena deal over social media. Can't way to read about how "the system" is so stacked against them.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Good.

Maybe we can shut this thread down and just talk about hockey for the next 30 years:handclap:

Wish I could but I doubt these angry idiots give up.

Even if this won't be on the ballot, this is a good reminder that, wherever you live, regardless of your views on this subject, you should vote. We've seen one group took advantage of low turnout. I'd have to see it repeated again.

Last edited:

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Wish I could but I doubt these angry idiots give up.

Even if this won't be on the ballot, this is a good reminder that, wherever you live, regardless of your views on this subject, you should vote. We've seen one group took advantage of low turnout. I'd have to see it repeated again.

Agree on the responsibility to vote. But one question, how does one vote on something that: 1 has been rejected to be listed on the ballot, and 2 will not be on the ballot?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Agree on the responsibility to vote. But one question, how does one vote on something that: 1 has been rejected to be listed on the ballot, and 2 will not be on the ballot?

The number of signatures required to get a petition on the ballot is dependent upon the number of voters in a general election. (5%)

They took advantage of an extremely low turnout to get these on the ballot. So if there's high turnout, they're probably not able to get the required # of signatures.

Edit: And the campaign finance thing lost too. :nod:

Last edited:

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
The number of signatures required to get a petition on the ballot is dependent upon the number of voters in a general election. (5%)

They took advantage of an extremely low turnout to get these on the ballot. So if there's high turnout, they're probably not able to get the required # of signatures.

Edit: And the campaign finance thing lost too. :nod:

I understand the 5% now that you have explained it. But once this thing has been rejected because of misleading language, and seeing that the group will now drop their appeal, doesn't that end it? I am not being difficult, help me understand. Can this be brought up again, or is there some provision that once this is denied it ends it? Logically, it seems to me that once this has been decided, you can't keep brining it up and retrying it. Isn't it like double jeopardy or doesn't it apply here?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I understand the 5% now that you have explained it. But once this thing has been rejected because of misleading language, and seeing that the group will now drop their appeal, doesn't that end it? I am not being difficult, help me understand. Can this be brought up again, or is there some provision that once this is denied it ends it? Logically, it seems to me that once this has been decided, you can't keep brining it up and retrying it. Isn't it like double jeopardy or doesn't it apply here?

Well, I don't want to get into the likelihood of this being allowed (I firmly believe that you can't undo this or legislate against specific expenditures out of the city budget) if it passed but in terms of actually getting this on the ballot, no, it wouldn't be illegal.

They're likely going to redo the petition with better language and shoot for November.

Think they need ~5,000 signatures.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think ultimately they could go through the effort again to get the signatures. and try again with a differently worded petition. They basically got called out for misleading people who signed their petition by basically making them think if this got voted down it would stop the payments but didn't clearly tell them it could be voted back in.

The question they would have to ask themselves is how many people would sign the petition again if this had been clearly communicated to them. Additionally, they have lost some credibility. Their first attempt was denied because of forged signatures and their 2nd attempt was denied because it wasn't fairly worded.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I think ultimately they could go through the effort again to get the signatures. and try again with a differently worded petition. They basically got called out for misleading people who signed their petition by basically making them think if this got voted down it would stop the payments but didn't clearly tell them it could be voted back in.

The question they would have to ask themselves is how many people would sign the petition again if this had been clearly communicated to them. Additionally, they have lost some credibility. Their first attempt was denied because of forged signatures and their 2nd attempt was denied because it wasn't fairly worded.

I'd argue they never had much credibility to begin with but that's just me. This whole thing seems like amateur hour (and, regardless of whatever benefit the CBJ/NWA provide Columbus, that's why I really worry about unintended consequences if the lease was canceled)

I can't speak for what was actually on the petitions. Unless it was horrendously misleading (wouldn't put it past these guys), I'm sure they'll be complain about how everyone's against them.

Edit: I see them updated the dispatch article.

This quote says it all.

“They undertook something that’s legally complicated, and they did it themselves, and they screwed it up,” said elections-board member Brad Sinnott, a Republican. “That’s it in a nutshell.”

As does this one.

Bob Fitrakis, an attorney and member of the coalition, argued that the city’s charter does not require summary language to be approved, and he said the elections board should accept the petitions.

“You have to respect the people’s voices here,” Fitrakis said. “The people have a right to initiate such a resolution.”

Fitrakis then veered off his argument, attacking the Democrats’ dominance of the council.

City Council “is a corrupt, one-party, smiley-faced system,” he said. “It’s absurd ... this is absolutely stifling. You are drowning the people’s voices.”

So much butthurt.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'd have to expect that at this point, various levels of government will work to clean up any vague or ambiguous language that would allow a public referendum to void an already-executed contract.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...new-summer-fest-to-feature-fashion-music.html

Note to the group trying to kill the arena, events like this won't happen in Columbus without the arena and area surrounding it. If this catches on, this could be huge for the city. SXSW is a huge deal for Austin, TX. If this can grow into a similar level, Columbus will be on the music map. As a music fan, I support this.
"It'd work just fine without the arena! I don't want my tax dollars paying for a fashion show anyways!"

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Do we need to remind them we once had Manny Malhotra and Anson Carter on this team?

The fact is that there aren't a ton of African Americans involved with the sport. It's growing but this isn't 1960's Alabama either.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
It just shows the pure ignorance of this group. The team and front office is made up of people from at least 6 different nationalities including the first GM not born in NA. Diversity is more then skin color.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It just shows the pure ignorance of this group. The team and front office is made up of people from at least 6 different nationalities including the first GM not born in NA. Diversity is more then skin color.

Good point I had not thought of. Additionally, the team has a good number of women working for them as well so it's not completely a white American man's front office like they want to try to paint out as being.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but I've always regarded playing the race card as being the equivalent of letting your mouth hang open and a huge strand of drool slowly work its way out and onto the floor.

I didn't see much diversity in that facebook picture either :laugh::shakehead:amazed:

All those group members, and nary a logical and intelligent person among them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad