World Cup: National Team threads #2

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So yes I blamed Kounde, Pavard and Upa on this play. So indeed read again.
Nope you still don't understand how press works. If the CB get on the German players toes, they can't be passed to or they can flick to someone being offside. Maube of you understood pressing you'd understand why I'm talking offside.
Not expecting you to understand it after 5 tries though.

Incredible how out of reality you are.
You continue to point to Kroos' pass while I made it clear a thousand times I talked about Wirtz's pass if everyone was closed down.
Unbelievable.
Such stubbornness in being mistaken.

Last post on this subject...we both have new games to talk about...but I'm talking about the Kroos pass because by the point Kroos passes the ball with our front 4 all clear of your midfield, you were already beaten.

You might not realize it, but at that point there was nothing you could do but hope we bottled it. that's why there is no Wirtz pass.

If your backline had stepped up on Wirtz to prevent him from getting that pocket of space between the lines to score from, then Kroos would have played his pass in behind the defense instead of right in front of them.

And if they waited until Wirtz already had the ball, we saw what happens. So you can keep talking about a Wirtz pass that never would've happened, but that has nothing to do with your midfield costing you that goal by not realizing that the game had started.

Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
??? Old boys Chile scored twice against you away
You watched the game right? You said Saliba was bad in the first half (saw 10 mn of it where hebsaved a goal and then the whole second half).
Are you saying Saliba wasn't great in that second half?

This is totally fair and I don't think many of us would push back on this. A lot of players don't play for their NTs out of love of country, but they should get to decide which country they do or do not play for.

Where folks have butted heads with you is that you've criticized players who came up through one nation's youth teams before switching at the senior level, and whether players make that choice for the careers / pocketbook / heart, doesn't really matter. It's their choice.
It does matterwhen you see the amount of money spent on them and the fact they're blocking other players from your NT.
And then block other players from their own senior NT. Guys who care.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
You watched the game right? You said Saliba was bad in the first half (saw 10 mn of it where hebsaved a goal and then the whole second half).
I watched 15 mins of the first half where he missed a free header in the opposing box and made a mess out of a simple ball in his own half because of faulty technique, and then the last 30 minutes. He had a great last man tackle (although Brereton is slooooow) but he didn't properly close down Osorio on the second Chilean goal, and left Vargas completely alone when he hit the post. So no, he wasn't great.

Deschamps also said he's not ready to start.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah he was great in the second half. His goal saving tackle was magnificent. A'd he saved another goal in the last moments of the first half.
DD said that before the game after he was asked wtf he would start Kounde on the right and Pavard at CB on the roster with the best CB quality in the world.

As for Osorio's goal I think Saliba isn't the problem.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It does matterwhen you see the amount of money spent on them and the fact they're blocking other players from your NT.
And then block other players from their own senior NT. Guys who care.

It's still their choice and we don't have any right to make it for them, regardless of the reason.

Plus having them in the youth teams can help the other players learn to play with more talented players...for example, Samardzic & Wanner won't play for our senior team but the kids who have played with them for our youth teams will have a better understanding for how to play with players like Wirtz / Musiala / Darvich / Bischof...and it also helps those other kids get deeper in tournaments to gain that experience.

Sure it sucks for the less talented players that don't make the cut because of a player that ends up switching. But there will always be a cutoff that screws the player who just missed out, that's sports.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
My Spanish team for the Euros provided everyone is healthy. Me and de la Fuente don't really see eye to eye:

David Raya (Alex Remiro)(Kepa Arrizabalaga)

Pedro Porro (Lucas Vazquez)
Pau Torres (Yeray Alvarez)
Inigo Martinez (Mario Hermoso)
Alejandro Grimaldo (Sergio Gomez)

Rodri (C) (Fabian Ruiz)
Pedri (Isco)
Aleix Garcia (Mikel Merino)

Lamine Yamal (Ferran Torres)
Marco Asensio (Gerard Moreno)
Dani Olmo (Nico Williams)

extras: Julen Agirrezabala, Pepelu, Luis Alberto

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For Germany, I'm thinking our final roster will look like this if everyone is fit:

Havertz / Füllkrug / (Undav)
Wirtz / Sane
Musiala / Führich
Gundogan / (Müller)
Kroos / (Goretzka) / (Stiller or Nmecha)
Can* / Andrich*
Kimmich / Henrichs
Mittelstädt / Gosens
Rüdiger / Tah / Hummels / Schlotterbeck / (Thiaw)
Neuer / ter Stegen / Trapp

*Pavlovic

Depending if 23 or 26 man rosters either taking all 5 or just 2 of:
Undav / Müller
Goretzka / Stiller or Nmecha / Thiaw

Missing the cut:
Moukoko / Beier / Werner / Berisha
Brandt / Gnabry / Hofmann / Beste / Adeyemi
Stiller or Nmecha / Groß / Stach / Neuhaus
Martel / Khedira / Karazor / Janelt
Raum / Netz / Baku / Vagnoman
Süle / Bella Kotchap / Bisseck / Ginter
Baumann / Ortega / Leno

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
For Germany, I'm thinking our final roster will look like this if everyone is fit:

Wirtz / Sane
Musiala / Führich
Gundogan / (Müller)
Can* / Andrich*
Kimmich / Henrichs
Mittelstädt / Gosens

*Pavlovic

Undav / Müller

Missing the cut:
Baumann / Ortega / Leno
Is Neuer still the #1 choice, not ter Stegen?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France isn't showing much confidence right now.
But I trust they'll be ready for the big tournament.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is Neuer still the #1 choice, not ter Stegen?

IIRC Nagelsmann said that Neuer would be the #1 once he was fully fit...which sucks for MAtS since he's been better all decade, despite not having the same confidence/swagger with the NT.

Yeah, I expect you to be in the final...as long as you avoid the German side of the bracket :sarcasm:

Reactions: JoVel

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Yeah friendlies can be very misleading tbh

And bad friendlies are the best thing that can happen to a team before a big tournament. No excess confidence going in and coaches identify what adjustments must be made.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah friendlies can be very misleading tbh

And bad friendlies are the best thing that can happen to a team before a big tournament. No excess confidence going in and coaches identify what adjustments must be made.

That can vary wildly based on whether your team struggles more with over-confidence or with a lack of confidence :laugh:

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Wirtz / Sane
Musiala / Führich
Gundogan / (Müller)
Can* / Andrich*
Kimmich / Henrichs
Mittelstädt / Gosens

*Pavlovic

Undav / Müller

Missing the cut:
Baumann / Ortega / Leno
I could see Hofmann over Stiller/Nmecha, for his versatility as well as Gundogan and Kimmich both being able to slot into that cm role if needed. Also would not be surprised for Süle over Schlotterbeck, considering the latter's general NT performances. Would also say Baumann might get the nod over Trapp, not that either will play. Could also see Goretzka and Can getting bumped.

Reactions: cgf

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Wirtz / Sane
Musiala / Führich
Gundogan / (Müller)
Can* / Andrich*
Kimmich / Henrichs
Mittelstädt / Gosens

*Pavlovic

Undav / Müller

Missing the cut:
Baumann / Ortega / Leno

How about Heidenheim's Kevin Muller as a third choice keeper? I haven't seen that many Heidenheim matches, but apparently he has been very good. Certainly made good saves against Bayern despite conceding two goals.

Seems to have been in better form that Trapp, for example.

Ortega would be fine choice as well based on current form, but he he might not play much if Ederson comes back for rest of the season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How about Heidenheim's Kevin Muller as a third choice keeper? I haven't seen that many Heidenheim matches, but apparently he has been very good. Certainly made good saves against Bayern despite conceding two goals.

Seems to have been in better form that Trapp, for example.

Ortega would be fine choice as well based on current form, but he he might not play much if Ederson comes back for rest of the season.

Chemistry & vibes are most important for end of the roster guys who won’t play. So I’d be surprised if it wasn’t one of the guys who had already been with the senior NT and fit in (Trapp, Baumann, Ortega)...unlike Leno, who starts to grumble because he thinks he should be our #1.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad